What is the Double Augmented Cmaj?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it C-E-A?
As you see I know only little theory, so any help would be great. :wink:
*blah blah blah blah everybody sing along*

The third note can never be A, it has to be some variant of G, so that would be xG (G double sharp).

That said, I've never heard of doubly augmented.

Victor.

Neither have I .........

Augmented usually refers to the #5

... and a doubly sharped 5th in a major scale is a 6th, which is already present ??????
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

..VicDiesel is right, it would be Gdoublesharp, which has an enharmonic equivalent of A - however the theory is shot if you call it 'A', since that it no longer related to the fifth, and you are playing a submediant minor in first inversion.

I've never come across a 'double augmented' chord - wouldn't that affect the third as well, giving C - E# - Gx? I can't think of any musical reason for doing a double augmentation... altho' it would give you the bonus of C#++ being C# - Ex - Gx# (triple sharp ;)) :hihi:

DSP

genealex wrote:Is it C-E-A?
As you see I know only little theory, so any help would be great. :wink:
Usually, INTERVALS, not chords can be referred to as being "doubly" something. For example:

C-G = Perfect 5th
C-G# = Augmented 5th
C-Gx = Doubly Augmented 5th (x means double-sharp).

In theory, if you could have even more space, you could have triply, or quadruply, and so on altered intervals:

Cbb = Gx = quadruply augmented 5th.

But the practicality of such intervals is obviously limited as you rarely encounter them in real music.

For chords, we have three basic triad forms:
Major
minor
Augmented
diminished

There aren't really names for other possibilities. For example, you could have:
C - Ebb - G# as a triad, but it doesn't spell any traditional triad. You'd have to make up a name for it, like "C super minor augmented" or something.

So I've never heard "double" or "doubly" augmented referring to a CHORD rather than an interval, but that doesn't prevent someone out there from using it. However, I tend to try to stick to more "well known" terms.

Peace.

Hi Vic.

Steve

No such animal in the chord realm. Double augmented and double diminished are intervalic relationships only.

Very helpful guys, thank you! :wink:
*blah blah blah blah everybody sing along*

Nice post, llatham.
"Enough Spyro Gyra and you're hoping you'll be killed in a knife fight."
-- Chris in the morning

Makes me wonder if someone has cooked up a dubious name for C7#9#5 - a dominant type chord with an augmented fifth and an augmented ninth.

Oh, you mean "Fred". :P
"Enough Spyro Gyra and you're hoping you'll be killed in a knife fight."
-- Chris in the morning

tboulette wrote:Oh, you mean "Fred". :P
Nope. Barney.

I've never heard of a double augmented chord. I've heard of a double augmented scale though, and I think it goes in C: C D# E G Ab B C

No such animal as a doubly augmented scale. Doubly augmented and doubly diminished refer only to intervalic relationships, i.e. difference between two pitches.

Where do you guys get this stuff?

egbert wrote:Makes me wonder if someone has cooked up a dubious name for C7#9#5 - a dominant type chord with an augmented fifth and an augmented ninth.
You can't get more dubious than "Alt".

Steve

geroyannis wrote:I've never heard of a double augmented chord. I've heard of a double augmented scale though, and I think it goes in C: C D# E G Ab B C
This is a symmetrical scale of alternating m2 - m3. I don't know of a specific name for it, but there's a zillion sites out there with people making up names for scales without checking any references, so it might be called anything. I think I'd prefer m3/m2 scale, or m2/m3 scale I suppose. There's a program out there called "Scala" that can tell you a lot about these things.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “Music Theory”