What makes a song beautiful?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think makes a song beautiful?

Of course this is subjective, but if we could make a formula, what would it be? I think grace notes, ghost notes, and slight fluctuations in tempo play an important role. What else?

personal interpretation of emotional experience

1) lyrical content
2) melody
3) arrangement
4) expressive performance
5) emotional honesty
6) production value

An emotional connection is like trying to define charisma. It can't be defined, but we know it when we experience it. What is more interesting is how differently we react to the same music. Some find great emotional connection in certain songs, whereas others find the same music trite, cliched, overly sweet or simply insipid. Go figure.

:)
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

I find that with pianos especially, fluid 'ghost' notes help move everything along and make it sound 'beautiful'. Then again it's also with the EQing. Usually with my pianos I EQ out the lows, bring up the higher mids a bit and bring up the highs. Sounds nice and sparkly.
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lunatique wrote:1) lyrical content
2) melody
3) arrangement
4) expressive performance
5) emotional honesty
6) production value
I would also add 7) chord progression (although I would place it right after melody and before arrangement)

Sometimes the right chord changes can really evoke a wide range of emotional responses. It works for me, at least!

Simplicity
Honesty
Empathy

the connection between me and the song
"It dreamed itself along"

I would have to agree with what some others have said. It has to do with how the song affects you emotionally. Some songs don't have a very "catchy" or complex melody, or almost no melody at all, and yet can still affect me greatly. One good example is Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber. There is something about the chord progression in that song that makes it so unique and beautiful. It's so simple, but it is so powerful. Some progressions are really other-worldly.

So it's melody more than lyrics?

little charlie wrote:One good example is Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber.
That is a wonderful piece. I have one CD that is just various interpretations of it. It's both the chord progression and also the minor key -- I find music in minor keys more emotionally appealing.

Hasn't Pandora's music genome project already quantified what makes a beautiful song?
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

"What makes a song beautiful?"

The listener.

Booty is in the eye of the beholder.

beauchamp

alejandrozalaquett wrote:Simplicity
Honesty
Empathy
Excellent acronym. SHE.

beauchamp

Return to “Music Theory”