Equal Interval System courses at Pasadena City College - Los Angeles area

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael Mitacek is offering EIS instruction in a group setting at Pasadena City College. The courses are offered on Saturday mornings this fall semester.

Music 124AB covers Books 1 and 2 and is offered from 9-10 a.m.

Music 128 (Equal Interval Orchestration) covers books 9 and 10 and meets from 10 to 1:30.

The positive: at $74 per class (16 weeks of instruction) plus books and PCC registration, the value is incredible.

The negative: It's group instruction. The folks in the class range from barely sober to a handful of EIS graduates who are re-taking the material. You are not going to receive the individualized attention you'd get by studying with David Blumberg.

Also, you're not doing all the assignments in the texts. Indeed, at the pace that the course moves (about twice as fast as in a private context), it's nearly impossible to do all the assignments even if you tried. Therefore, you are arguably not going to receive the entire benefit of working through the material.

Note that the PCC website is currently screwed up and makes it appear that every level of EIS is being offered concurrently (NOT the case), that every class section is closed (also incorrect) and that Music 128 is not being offered (also incorrect!).

There are plans to offer nearly the entire EIS sequence online beginning with the Spring 2011 semester.

You can get more information at www.pasadena.edu and www.equalinterval.com

Cheers,
J

anyone on here taken this course?

I'd love to join! Alas the location doesn't work for me. Perhaps if they offered an online course as well? i.e. you stream the videos?

Actually, the course is now offered online via a group Skype call. It's probably too late to enroll this semester.

This looks interesting, but I live in the UK. Skype-based learning in the middle of the night is probably not a practical solution for me. Plus, it's hard to find useful information about this on Pasadena's website.

The small amount of information that's managed to leak out about EIS has looked interesting, but personal tuition is just far too expensive an option for me.

Basjoe

memyselfandus wrote:anyone on here taken this course?
I have studied the course privately and I'm about half way through Book Eleven (out of a total of 12 books). If you want any information regarding the details of the course, just ask.

Peace,
J

yes, I'd like to know how you know that some of the particpants currently enrolled are barely sober

any info on the skype option?

There's nothing like resurrecting an old thread like this, but I've finally gotten around to editing some short clips of the Equal Interval System mostly in jazzy contexts: https://jonasaras.wordpress.com/music-e ... -examples/

Cheers,

Return to “Music Theory”