Sentimental 80s chord progressions

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What defines sentimental 80s-sounding chord progressions that are typically played on cheesy synths? Is it a particular key?

Examples:
At 0:43: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32udqal_lyQ

At 0:10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD1xvO_-THQ

Uh... Yeah, I couldn't think of any actual 80s examples but they should demonstrate the idea.

Maybe it's just the synths or keyboards they've used? I'm not sure. If you think that's the case, are there any good 80s-sounding virtual instruments you'd recommend?

Ahh Nice Tune, the first is a simple progression in G melodic minor (iv bVII i), and then at 43 it changes to its relative B flat Major, but its a subtle change (I vi). The last chord is the Gm in both. Both the synth voices and the chord changes create that sentimental sound.

trewq wrote:Ahh Nice Tune, the first is a simple progression in G melodic minor (iv bVII i), and then at 43 it changes to its relative B flat Major, but its a subtle change (I vi). The last chord is the Gm in both. Both the synth voices and the chord changes create that sentimental sound.
Thanks for the reply. I'll play around with similar chord progressions and see what I can come up with. I might also start a thread in the Instruments section about 80s sounding synths.

If you're looking for 80s vintage synths,look no further than UVI's vintage vault or Arturia products.
quite possibly the best replications on the market with tons of demo tracks on their respective sites that show you what its capable of.

Pretty much any chord progression can be used in that kind of 80's song, so it's best to know as many as possible. Usually I just mix up classical music chords with jazz chords, use a bit less of the things specific to these styles (7th chord inversions for classical, 9th/13th chords for jazz) and then I add more of the things more common in the 80s (major add9 chords, and 11th chords such as Bb/C).

Return to “Music Theory”