We have scales but why??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:success is measured by the ears at the end of the process, not by how well it sticks to or avoids any arbitary rules set down by dead people.
Unless of course you're required to do so in an academic context to pass an exam and/or gain a qualification.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

We're not starting that whole jam flavor thing again are we...? :hihi:

We have scales so that budding musicians can spend hours practicing in tedious agony.

JumpingJackFlash wrote:
vurt wrote:success is measured by the ears at the end of the process, not by how well it sticks to or avoids any arbitary rules set down by dead people.
Unless of course you're required to do so in an academic context to pass an exam and/or gain a qualification.
yeah, did all that shit years ago though, so now i have my certicates and such id just rather get on and do my own thing thanks :)
im not interested in fitting in, im interested in finding myself, lifes too short to worry about what other people think :shrug:

robojam wrote:We're not starting that whole jam flavor thing again are we...? :hihi:
i, for one, have never let it go :tantrum:

debra1rlo wrote:
robojam wrote:We're not starting that whole jam flavor thing again are we...? :hihi:
i, for one, have never let it go :tantrum:
You just wanted to preserve it for eternity I guess...

vurt wrote:did all that shit years ago though
Exactly. And this probably shaped your musical development in many ways. You may decide to reject it and go against the flow now, but this early education was almost certainly beneficial, even if you no longer realise it.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

vurt wrote:what if one just wants to ignore the rules rather than break them?
what if one makes ones own rules or finds different rules to the ones you follow?

(you in the plural)
Well then nobody would understand you. Perfect if you want to feel a misunderstood genius, but detrimental to your success as a musician.

There are many rules of western music that have been broken over time. But you cannot just eschew the language of music. People will listen to you and think "what the f**k?! I don't get it!", or stuff like "Free jazz? Well I can certainly hear the FREE part, but where is the JAZZ?!"

The "rules" of music are like the "rules" of physics. Literally, since soundwaves and their interaction IS physics.

You can ignore the rules of physics, but you will still be unconsciously following them.

Music theory isn't a bunch of "do this, because we say so". Instead it's a collection of observations and practices regarding music.

You may choose to write your own rules, but aside from unique names for things I betcha your major chords are still major chords, and that much if not all the form you use can be found and explained within music theory.

You don't have to know the rules to use em.

Arr0wHead wrote:You may choose to write your own rules, but aside from unique names for things I betcha your major chords are still major chords, and that much if not all the form you use can be found and explained within music theory.

http://viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtube/n ... onkeys.mp3

i look forward to your analysis :)

vurt wrote:
Arr0wHead wrote:You may choose to write your own rules, but aside from unique names for things I betcha your major chords are still major chords, and that much if not all the form you use can be found and explained within music theory.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
What exactly were you trying to prove? Is this a resilience test?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Is this a resilience test?
did i accidentally link to a coldplay track?

vurt wrote:
fmr wrote: Is this a resilience test?
did i accidentally link to a coldplay track?
OK, if you are tyrying to be funny, sorry I didn't understood your sense of humour :?
I am old enough to remember and know the experimental period of the sixties and the seventies, but we overpassed that, fortunately. It opened some doors, and people realized that sound is also music, but what you sent is just an exercize of futility. IMHO.
Anyway, we are not talking about music conceptions here, but about the absolute basis of "conventional" music, if you want (scales, harmony, and all that). If you want to derive the discussion to the conceptual point, I'm fine with that, too, but then, we are not talking about "notes" anymore.
Fernando (FMR)

debra1rlo wrote:
vurt wrote:
tapper mike wrote:You have to know the rules in order to break them is a time honored cliche.
what if one just wants to ignore the rules rather than break them?
what if one makes ones own rules or finds different rules to the ones you follow?

(you in the plural)
how does one know if they are successful at ignoring the rules if they don't know what the rules are?
/mind blown
INDEED. BULLET-PROOF. :love:

vurt wrote:

We're discussing tonal harmony, but it's a nice piece. Just not relevant to a discussion on theory or scales.

How do you embed an mp3 like that? That's cool.

Return to “Music Theory”