alternate tunings on guitar

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote:BTW I was waiting for a comment on me using "wicked" in a post :hihi:
Well I didn't - how do you like them apples? ;)

robojam wrote:Did you find those problems (assuming you tuned Maj)?
D major. I never really thought about the problems. You're probably right about the open minor chords. Slide I only use occasionally to do simple lead things, so that doesn't really come up.
No longer a moderator.

woggle wrote:this piece uses a random scale so the intervals are not at all traditional https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/three ... wo-tunings
Is the same one that's on so long and goodbye? If so, I like it. If not, I'll check it out tomorrow to compare the two.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:
woggle wrote:this piece uses a random scale so the intervals are not at all traditional https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/three ... wo-tunings
Is the same one that's on so long and goodbye? If so, I like it. If not, I'll check it out tomorrow to compare the two.
Yes I think it is - good of you to remember, thanks :)

tuned my Daion to open D today and had a ball but of course not the first time for that string of tunings (open E, open Eb and D)...Eb is how SRV tuned his guitars typically...I think I'll tune my Ibanez to open D instead of F#...I try to keep my locking tremolo guitars (4) in different tunings even though I'm pretty quick at changing tuning with a locking nut. I think I'll use D more than F# and I can tune my Jackson Kelly to F# because I dont play that guitar as much as the rest (it's freakin huge or at least feels it).

Open D was nice with my Jet Slide, I'm not much of a slide player but I do really like Jet Slides :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

SRV's reasoning was based on two things. Reducing bleeding, Easier on the voice. I started out with twelve's on solid bodies while working as a dishwasher. Dude the agony of coming home from hands in soapy water for 8 hours then trying to work out chords and scales and songs.

Try to put a set of 13's on a tele or LP and play it for 3 hours. At least with a strat there is a little give because of the whammy bar.

tapper mike wrote:SRV's reasoning was based on two things. Reducing bleeding, Easier on the voice. I started out with twelve's on solid bodies while working as a dishwasher. Dude the agony of coming home from hands in soapy water for 8 hours then trying to work out chords and scales and songs.

Try to put a set of 13's on a tele or LP and play it for 3 hours. At least with a strat there is a little give because of the whammy bar.
That's his reasoning for dropping it half a step perhaps not why he chose Open E (flat) :shrug: Of course if you got a wah wah, are tuned open E (or Eb) Voodoo Chile is :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

dont suppose anyone has a good repository of various tunings?
would be cool if it included 6 and 12s :)

my interest in alternate tunings came fro listening to sonic youth as a teen and realising that the majority of their tracks are nigh on impossible in standard tuning :o

vurt wrote:dont suppose anyone has a good repository of various tunings?

what do you need? Any tuning you can think of in 12 string, 6, 7 or 8 strings....bass of course, mandolin, banjo (4 and 5 string), bouzouki (Irish and Greek), tenor guitar, balalaika, charango, cittern and ukulele....any chord, scales/modes, the relation between the two and of course standard tunings on the above instruments or any custom tuning...I can even enter in the fingerings on the fretboard and it will tell you what chord it is or closest to. Here's what how a scale/mode looks in the relation screen (in the scale screen it breaks it up into positions and the chords are just dots one the neck)...so again what do you need vurt? I also have a couple of books on the subject :)

(open Gm tuning, DGDGBbD)

Hink wrote:banjo (4 and 5 string)
Not meaning to be pedantic, but aren't they the same? The 5th string doesn't get fretted for the majority of chords. Or at least that's what I thought (I only play 5 string).

robojam wrote:
Not meaning to be pedantic, but aren't they the same? The 5th string doesn't get fretted for the majority of chords. Or at least that's what I thought (I only play 5 string).
yes but see the picture above..the 4 string banjo will have 4 strings in the picture and the 5 string will have 5 strings :P

Hink wrote:
robojam wrote:
yes but see the picture above..the 4 string banjo will have 4 strings in the picture and the 5 string will have 5 strings :P
Hmmm, you've got me there...

But what about 6 string banjos...? :hihi:

robojam wrote:
Hink wrote:
robojam wrote:
Hmmm, you've got me there...

But what about 6 string banjos...? :hihi:
:hihi:

Hink wrote:
vurt wrote:dont suppose anyone has a good repository of various tunings?

what do you need? Any tuning you can think of in 12 string, 6, 7 or 8 strings....bass of course, mandolin, banjo (4 and 5 string), bouzouki (Irish and Greek), tenor guitar, balalaika, charango, cittern and ukulele....any chord, scales/modes, the relation between the two and of course standard tunings on the above instruments or any custom tuning...I can even enter in the fingerings on the fretboard and it will tell you what chord it is or closest to. Here's what how a scale/mode looks in the relation screen (in the scale screen it breaks it up into positions and the chords are just dots one the neck)...so again what do you need vurt? I also have a couple of books on the subject :)

(open Gm tuning, DGDGBbD)
... but no sitar?

tbh there wasnt anyone thing in particular, i was just thinkig about aybe trying soe other tunings, see what fits.
is that soe kind of software doohicky? looks interesting.
are there any books you would recommend? i usually hand out a list of books and totally obscure cds to friends and family, otherwise id end up with andy mcnabbs latest and any band in the album charts leading up to christas that either have long hair or beards. i wish i was joking here.what the hell do i want with a kaiser chiefs cd?

if you just want a list of a few popular alt tunings to start with, here's the ones the variax (jtv) ships with:

http://line6.com/jtv-59/features

Return to “Music Theory”