Want to learn more about Chord progressions

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

One thing that I struggle to do is come up with decent chord progressions. So I want to learn more of the theory behind them.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good book are internet based article that explains them?

From what I have gathered there are rules of thumb that help you know what chord can lead to another and what vary amount od suspense and relieve they give but I can't seem to find any thing that explains these. other then the I V relationship, so I know that one.

does anyone know of any of these rules of thumb that they could maybe share here?

any help with this topic will be much appreciated,

Thanks

Suggest googling music theory chord progressions. You will find many useful articles. Also try Nashville number system.
poet

I suggest yo start by studying tonality, tonal system and it's basis (including the circle of fifths), and learn what are the tonal degrees and mode degress in a tonality. Chord progressions are based on tonality, and tone progression.
Fernando (FMR)

Find the chords for songs that you like and take a look at what chords are used. You'll notice that certain changes are more common than others, and that certain changes have a certain sound and feel to them. Once you begin to recognise how a particular sequence sounds, you'll also find it much easier to apply this to your own work. You ought to be able to hear what comes next, or at least the rough outline of a chord. Sometimes you'll find that a chord comes close, but needs to be modified to sound like what you want - either adding additional notes, or using suspended chords etc.

There are also chord map charts you can look at, but I strongly suggest you try looking at other songs and playing them as it's a really good way to approach this practically, rather than just theoretically. Remember that a lot of songs reuse the same chord progressions. There are several standards that come up all over the place. You'll quickly learn to recognise these sequences if you play other people's songs.

That's not to say you shouldn't look at the theory too, just that I strongly believe that learning by doing is much more important if you want to write your own stuff.

sjm wrote: There are also chord map charts you can look at, but I strongly suggest you try looking at other songs and playing them as it's a really good way to approach this practically, rather than just theoretically. Remember that a lot of songs reuse the same chord progressions. There are several standards that come up all over the place. You'll quickly learn to recognise these sequences if you play other people's songs.
Chord maps are like any other maps - if you don't know where do you want to go, they are useless.
Listening to songs and analysing them is a good advice, provided he already knows what is tonality, find the tonality in a song and why there are chords that fit there, and others that don't.
Besides, you say "There are several standards that come up all over the place." - Sure, they are called tonal progressions - that's why they are standard :wink:
You''ll learn them quicker if you already know how they work.
See, you'll be able to read better if you learn how to read, instead of memorizing texts.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Root position chords a fourth or fifth apart generally work well. For example: I-IV, II-V, V-I, VI-II.

There's also system that might be a good guide; it classifies chords according to their function, for example "dominant" function chords include V and VII lead to the "tonic", I. "pre-dominant" chords include II and IV and lead to "dominant" chords and so on.

Whichever "rules" you look at, there are always exceptions.
Get a good book on harmony; this one is very good and I think can be bought half-price if you agree not to photocopy it.

I am using all upper-case Roman Numerals here, they are not meant to distinguish between minor and major chords.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

"Chord Progressions for Songwriters" got my chord progressions up-to-par. Definitely know what I'm doing now.
:D

Is that the book by Richard Scott, or is that an article you found by googling?
poet

While looking at the Scott book on Amazon I ran across a site w/ lots of free e-books on various music theory, tab sheets, fake books etc. esp. for guitar

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/freebies.html

I DL'd some of the books but haven't previewed them yet. But, maybe someone here will find something of use for them! :)
John
"B4serenity"

Check out this lesson:

http://classic.musictheory.net/57

manducator wrote:Check out this lesson:

http://classic.musictheory.net/57
There is a modern version of this site, that is better and more complete, IMO: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
But I would advise to start quite earlier than that, more or less in lesson 23 (based on what the OP wrote in his first post), or at least in lesson 43 (depending on what he feels comfortable on). Jumping steps usually leads to fall, sooner or later. Better go step by step.
Fernando (FMR)

The biggest thing you can do is learn songs by chord chart. I have great disdain for cookie cutter school chord progressions. When was the last time a song was writted using a I-vii-ii-V progression? The last of those died out during the 60's

Chord progressions are often "Style Specific" What may sound great in a gospel/soul setting may fall apart in a country or rock setting.

Start with songs you like in a style you like. A lot of people say "I want to learn Jazz" because they've got all the chord theory. But if you don't like listening to jazz in the first place then it makes it a bad idea to study it. Learning a bunch of "alt" chords and not being able to apply them to what you are doing makes no sense.

The progression is only half the equation in a given style, The "feel" is the other which mostly is about the rhythmic structure. If you don't have the feel down it doesn't matter how "style" correct a progression is.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:The biggest thing you can do is learn songs by chord chart. I have great disdain for cookie cutter school chord progressions. When was the last time a song was writted using a I-vii-ii-V progression? The last of those died out during the 60's
Really? What is now "in"? Augmented sixths? Maybe you could enlighten us all.
tapper mike wrote: Chord progressions are often "Style Specific" What may sound great in a gospel/soul setting may fall apart in a country or rock setting.
Chord progressions are perhaps the least important element in ANY style. Rhythm (or "the beat"), as you pointed, the "feel", the instrumentation used, the way the song is structured and the melody progresses, all that matters more, and help to build the "style". You may keep the same chord progression and play it in a great variety of styles. I keep saying this: chord progressions are highly overrated, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)

What's the best free midi file resource for chord progressions?

fmr wrote:Chord progressions are perhaps the least important element in ANY style. Rhythm (or "the beat"), as you pointed, the "feel", the instrumentation used, the way the song is structured and the melody progresses, all that matters more...
Even in a Bach Chorale?
fmr wrote:chord progressions are highly overrated, IMO.
I have the opposite opinion.
There are styles where the harmony is everything.
A boring melody (even with a boring rhythm) can sound great if it is harmonised well.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

Return to “Music Theory”