What makes a song catchy?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Catchy and likeable aren't always the same, a lot of dumb pop is catchy as the flu but makes me wish I could get it out of my head rather than keep it there, I think some songs are very intrusive that way.

As catchy as the flu and enjoyable as...

as...

as...

as being destroyed over a period of time by having one layer of cells removed from your outer extremities every minute. Whilst having the flu.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I have really resented certain music that was terrifically catchy, as I hated the f**king thing.

But the more music I have done, the more likely that the tunes in my head are mine! I sometimes have one of them as an earwig that I haven't dealt with in a while, and I go 'what was that?' later catching that it was one of mine.

V0RT3X wrote:3- your music has to have a good catchy melody and beat. A good producer or knowledge of what works in other hit songs is clearly required.
Right; and what's a practical way to acquire this knowledge of what works in other hit songs?

DSmolken wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:3- your music has to have a good catchy melody and beat. A good producer or knowledge of what works in other hit songs is clearly required.
Right; and what's a practical way to acquire this knowledge of what works in other hit songs?

listening to the radio type stuff incessantly and see what they have in common, see "saw"*

*stock aitken and waterman, not the saw horror franchise.

I'm sure that helps, I listen to a pretty good amount of new stuff and I've gotten pretty good at telling what sounds like a hit and what doesn't, but I still go by instinct. I'd very much like to understand why and how these things really REALLY work. That might take doing a whole lot of transcription and analysis, maybe even statistics.

Not that I have any plans to write popular hits, my ambitions are pretty much limited to covering songs that people will give a crap about.

Return to “Music Theory”