What is a (i.e. C/D) chord?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think war is a bit more grave than a card game.

She was the daughter
of a wealthy
Florentine Pogen
"Read 'em and weep"
was her adjustable slogan

Florentine Pogens: 88c/6 oz. (box)
The toffee wafer dipped in real chocolate has an aura of excitement. A rich, melt-in-your-mouth experience that may be too sophisticated for some tastes. Good for entertaining and great company while watching television.

the figure for fourth inversion is 7/6/4/2.
figure the bass from D (vis a vis C): 7 to C; 6 to B; 4 to G; 2 to E.

NB: those do not have to be restricted to the literal meaning, or everything will have to be close-voicing. That's how it works, Mike. A ninth in a 'chord of the ninth' can be at a seventh, a second, a ninth, a seventeenth - scratch that, I'm an idiot, a sixteenth - to the chord root. Position is not chord part.

BTW: The American History and Encyclopedia of Music lists a figure for 'Chord of the ninth with seventh omitted': 9/5/3.

So when making a test, "write these per this figured bass", if the C7 harmony is V7 of F obviously, no modification is needed for the figure. Where key is ambiguous (check out the Schoenberg; who knows where we are. His argument for the moment hinged on Db as a center? Ok then. That takes me back.) one uses + and - signs. It gets tricky. In the abstract I don't know how Gallatin kept it sorted but I'm sure we knew what was being asked.

There can actually be 15th and 17th chords meaningfully. EG: to the 13th from C gives an A. A 15th would be meaningful if there is some type of C that isn't redundant; a 17th is meaningful for some type of E that isn't redundant, and so forth. C E G# Bb D# F# A C#; C Eb G B D F# A C# E. A way of getting outside but dealing with a construction that is based in sonority tertially.

jancivil wrote:I think war is a bit more grave than a card game.
Aah...well that would be a difference in degree and not in kind to me.

Besides, must say that the music theory forum often reminds me more of a war zone than a game zone :scared:

Cheers

Important thing is the arranger wants a c chord but wants a d played in the bass. It may be a passing tone or an intentional dissonance or an anticipation to g or d minor or whatever.

IncarnateX wrote:
jancivil wrote:I think war is a bit more grave than a card game.
Aah...well that would be a difference in degree and not in kind to me.
That's f**king strange to read. A card game, really? Do you carry an expectation that a competitive nature must be suppressed in order to enjoy... what, exactly? Superiority is obtained in some way, through morality? What on earth are you trying to say? Striving for excellence or striving upwards is going to be hard to extricate from the drive that produces conflict. Warlike drives are sublimated through sports, games, and expressed variously. Music? What is a person at peace, what does that look like? Where are they? In heaven?
What are you doing when you argue?

You must understand perfectly well the argument:
That, knowledge>wisdom>truth>beauty>music, your art, all your high culture
arises out of a process of war.
This is a truism.

Development always accords to a pyramidic structure.
You will find this stucture throughout creation; for instance, in the vibration of energy
by the movements of Sound, in your Air.
This is another truism.

Physical beauty always derives from a progression, a striving;
Such a process is always informed by struggle.
Your development, your evolution, mustn't be a combination of chance elements or random factors
It might be a feature of design.

Remove the veil of existence and it might be seen, that this existence,
this "reality", isn't necessarily more than a play of light -
an Entertainment, a Diversion;
a game, played by a child to pass the time.

That we, in the greater scheme, are but dolls, playthings
A Great Mother has purchased to dote upon her darling girl child;
That the implements of our very destruction are but the toys of her boy child,
Working out how to distinguish this from that, in the vastness of his nursery.

But that is surely not to say, that none of this has meaning,
that the day-to-day experience of all this can be undertaken lightly.
As actors upon a stage, we take pains to hone our craft.
Because this is what we are given to do.

May I impart to you, another truism:
When energy, force, as it moves toward a higher occurrence of itself,
it is seen to be in inverse ratio to the span of the field in which it acts
(Assuming of course that the speed of the wave, the measure of the field, remains the same.).

If you happened to "be" the light,
Your journey is always constant, true, eternal, pure.
And nothing can touch you.
This, Light, is a perfect field, and is made up of the particular.
Note Well!

A field of energy, a force, is the self-same as the individual particles possessing the property of charge brought by that force.
Matter, which is to say a concentrate of Energy, will decay in any event.
No matter; it remains. It will revert to energy, to source.
Which can neither be destroyed nor created.

The field.
The field, composed of waves
(visualize an ocean if you like)
continually exerts its force upon its particles –
that is to say, upon the very composition of itself –
and is in turn affected by the presence and motion of those particles.

As I said to you earlier, structures according to a pyramid permeate our entire nature, our very being.
This is true also here.

Let us look at the thought behind 'the light':
What is thought of, as "light", is in actuality a propagation –
Much is in movement, acting, in a sort of play.
Once this play is set into motion, it continuously re-creates itself: Action.
Its being but a disturbance of the field in which it plays.

When - or should I say where - our Creator
(and know this: We Are Uncreated)
Lay outside of time
He was unperturbed.
(Neither this nor that! having no attributes!)
It was ever thus.

Energy/Force, which I spoke of a moment ago, resides in unending embrace alongside all of its particular components, its material…
in a dance, oscillating, a duo in opposition feeding one another.
In this continuous oscillation, the vibration…
(You can always hear it! AAAAA-UUUUU-MMMMM…)

The vibration which must have been the beginning of everything
– but can it ever have begun? –
Because: who turned the light on?
For instance, who lit the candle?
Who made that candle?
And who made the candlemaker, and so on and so on…
It never ends!

This Vibration -
Force, acting upon Matter –
Has been seen to have the following characteristic:
The frequency of the wave, in its oscillation, as it grows higher and higher
Will grow shorter and shorter in precisely the same measure.

SO! Bigger is not always better, you know.

©2010 tigress and the u-fraidees
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:I would say that a genuine 9 in the bass is a bit avant-garde for pop music ...
true, but unlilkely things happen in pop music, ie when a drummer starts playing some keys and writing songs....

at 1.08, the very thing, a straight tonic triad with a 9 in the bass!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utrGabGh4bU

Thanks for clarification guys!

jancivil wrote:That's f**king strange to read. A card game, really?

Yes. An easy recognizable sublimation of Thanatos. Both is about winning. Both is about one dominating another. Both is about one destroying another. Both is about displays of power, superiority, strategic abilities and "knowing better". Both is about a loser's submission to a winner and winning for the sake of winning. War is a drug and so is a card game like poker.

None is about one side helping each other, corporation with each other, creating something together, enlighten each other, sharing, loving ect. A card game is in this respect as meaningsless as war.

Where is the problem?

And even if the difference where a question of kind and not degree, the main impression remains I am afraid, namely that this forum often reminds of a warzone.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lectrixboogaloo; Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27 pm Re: What is a (i.e. C/D) chord?
Important thing is the arranger wants a c chord but wants a d played in the bass. It may be a passing tone or an intentional dissonance or an anticipation to g or d minor or whatever.

lectrixboogaloo wrote:Postby lectrixboogaloo; Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27 pm Re: What is a (i.e. C/D) chord?
Yeah, most frequently it's fancy replacement for D7. Examples:

YMCA. B/C# at 0:00, 0:41, 0:56, 1:12, 1:45, 2:00, 2:16, 2:49, 3:04, 3:19, 3:35.

Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror. C/D is played at 1:04, 1:11, 1:16, 2:11,2:18, 2:23, 2:37, 2:41, and Db/Eb at 2:57, 3:01, 3:20, 3:25.

Ducktales intro song. A/B at 0:20, B/C# at 0:40.

IncarnateX wrote:
jancivil wrote:That's f**king strange to read. A card game, really?

Yes. An easy recognizable sublimation of Thanatos. Both is about winning. Both is about one dominating another. Both is about one destroying another. Both is about displays of power, superiority, strategic abilities and "knowing better". Both is about a loser's submission to a winner and winning for the sake of winning. War is a drug and so is a card game like poker.

None is about one side helping each other, corporation with each other, creating something together, enlighten each other, sharing, loving ect. A card game is in this respect as meaningsless as war.
Are you not trying to persuade me to your idea? Seems competitive. The thing that I said was 'war is more grave than a card game'. Why are you trying to erase that? Do masses of people die behind a card game? To make them 'same kind', you have to do some reduction and slice away and erase some parts of things. Such as intent.

You need a card game, or a tennis match, to be reduced to 'destroying one another'; towards what end? Do you feel the need to eradicate someone fighting about an idea, or for failing to live up to your ideal? You who have been I think actually statistically more inclined towards bellicosity exceeding a point here than I would want to be. I'm flawed in that I found that amusing when we shared a common enemy, that was stinking up the joint. I find a giant ass picture of a man weeping about war and a 'hihi' emoticon following my 'read 'em and weep' kind of bellicose and absent a {helpful} sense of humor, dissonant.

I care enough to provide the most useful material here, and I would say all the material I have provided is helpul. if you want to tell me the only reason I (or anyone) has a go at 'tappermike' (or anyone) is a 'display of' superiority I would say you might check your impulse, as I indicated already, what's the gain in talking of this moral superiority? (He said "Egads, what a mess" but revealed his understanding was incomplete. I find his approach irritating. I know myself, I am better off to confront it directly. He failed to understand my clear logic and called me out/demanded to see my hand. "Read 'em and weep.")

War is meaningless? Really? So we fought the Nazis finally. I think there is great meaning in that. Following your argument faithfully, the sacrifices made in order to stop Hitler are meaningless.
Does *music* serve some moral purpose, or can we be happy to do it for its own sake. Some people do it as a mental game. Some people have made music that was a type of music criticism. I think once we start applying 'music must have a higher purpose', which is a logical extension of your idea, we're subject to it becoming corrupted. Stalin shall instruct Shostakovich, right, comrade? I think I'm not interested in its 'meaning' so much, anyway.

There are things in this world I don't agree with, and things here I think are bad for the music community and even society. ('ghettosynth' referred t'other day to a guy that stated 'musicianship gets in the way of being a producer'. I think this was supposed to be a reasonable thing. But it suggests to me that more musicianship results in a situation where someone is less inclined to make that shit. And that's a bad thing! And I should shut up.)

Your rhetoric is pretty half-baked I think. Can I say that and not be accused of waging meaningless war? You seem very young to me in these remarks. There can't ever be any 'knowing better' because that's simply destructive. No, I don't buy it.

"more of a war zone than a game zone" - wait, you already refuted the point then, there has to be a difference, isn't it.

someone called simon wrote:
jancivil wrote:I would say that a genuine 9 in the bass is a bit avant-garde for pop music ...
true, but unlilkely things happen in pop music, ie when a drummer starts playing some keys and writing songs....

at 1.08, the very thing, a straight tonic triad with a 9 in the bass!
Cool. I like that.

jancivil wrote:Are you not trying to persuade me to your idea?
No I do not have to pursuade ot force my ideas upon anyone to feel secure of my own ideas. Referring to each others lack of compentence is war in my terms and not a Card game. Simple as that.

Enlightenment by suppression is not enlightenment, but suppression!
Helpfullness by agression is not helpfulness, but aggression!

These facts cannot be neutralized by ongoing intellectualization, rationalization or justification in my mind, on the contrary, this would rather beg the question.

I will present these as nothing but my own points of view. If anyone feels that these views are adressed to them in person and that they have to defend themselves against them, I urge you to look for the reason to that within yourself and not in my words.

So should someone have learned something, this 'aggression' (this is odd to me, it's as if a strong presentation or a little kerfuffle is such a big deal, I wonder about how it must be in real life for 'you') vacated it rather magically then, in your argument.

It seems like a mask to me, this disavowal of context and that you needed to frame it 'that they have to defend themselves'. Are you engaged in discussion with an abstraction or are you talking to me? You want to criticize, you are criticizing what people did, but it doesn't really suit what you're saying to me, which is against criticizing so you have donned this layer. I think framing it 'defend themselves' appears somewhat prosecutorial, though.

What's the deal. Do you have the same analysis and ostracization of yourself, having found someone incompetent and found a wound to aggravate? (The guy that thought he had proved the reason for 'seven' by ad hoc set theory.)

There is context with individuals and things said not forgotten, we're only human.

EDIT! I was looking for some content in one of these threads, where I had collected things I am not wont to collate anew and I ran across this.
I'm not going to bump it, no one wants this. But in the last post there is this shite:

"I think you have been unecessarily aggressive" - With tapper mike? With ghettosynth? It's been some time since these contratemps and I'm not the least ashamed of one thing in them. You can kiss my ass, basically. Here you are focusing on me and being what I would absolutely say is aggressive, where I pushed back there as I do here.

I'm going to be very frank now, Mike has about the same level of knowledge I had when I was 19, in his own field. I catch him doing total bullshit, clueless incompetent shit, and he projects back at me telling a story about me that has no basis in me or one thing I ever did, that is the opposite of the truth and I pushed back.
If you had to be me, SONNY and walk three meters in my shoes, you would be someone to push back HONESTLY, rather than this mealy-mouthed pagro shite you parade about with in here.

I tried to convey here to you, but you continued your attack. For me, this is a lot of tedious fatuous rubbish, "Thanatos" and then you say I'm turning it upside down just presenting my POV about being 'warlike'. A f**king CARD GAME reference and you launch this tedious CRAP at me, cards, and sports, and people arguing is only a difference in degree than killing people en masse. How pompous can you be? What a pretentious load of absolute shite. You want to check yourself one time first.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Something in the jazz music milieu that may escape you is strong competitiveness... 'cutting sessions'.
I grew up with no illusions I was fooling anybody. Many people use forums like this believing the others are easily fooled.

And note well, what I actually said was 'no, this is your lack of education' and it is. I think 'tappermike' is quite competent in the things he embraces fully but doesn't know his limitations.

I urge you to reflect on your impulses to moderate the music theory board, having yet to sort anyone's music theory question.

Return to “Music Theory”