What is a groove?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

KoolFartWind wrote:
jancivil wrote:
“You can have these trends,”

What is the actual model?
How I see it, that every listener/sequencer (computed or human) has a periodic wave in mind, that constitutes the meter (or, as you say : meter + groove), the level of accentuation. Humans probably have an addition of sine waves as meter, computers tend to have an addition of triangle waves. As the article stated, the meter has a number of self similar divisions (fractal structure), that is limited by the time resolution of the human hearing mechanisms and mind.

The 16 ms negative delay could be correlated to the distance of the drum player to the audio source.

Now when I put the concept of "Groove" into that framework, a groove would be realized through a temporary phase shift of the meter wave.
I don't recall if the article stated the resolution of time is down to human hearing or not, but I don't think it works like that. The article stated that over a longer period, there was more to it. So, over what period is this shift in phase applied to a cyclic form? Where does 'humans probably have an addition of sine waves as meter' come from? Meter is just saying where one is, tempo is something else.

I can't be 100% on what you mean by computers, but I have been talking about the difference between what a human drummer does vs a clock. Now there is some error in a clock but it's pretty negligible and takes a long time before we see even that. Vs., I could show you a tempo track for a groove with significant variance quarter note to quarter note (and further if I wanted to bother) and I don't think there is a maths that describes it. I think if these scientists took a recording of the Ghanian drummer into Cubase and really got exact with Time Warp Tool they have a lot more on their plate to try and contend with.

One thing that is missing completely in all of this is the tone of the drum, experience with timbre has something to do with your approach to it; some timbres appear to the ear, ie. speak, faster than others. And this is in my experience impossible to dismiss, it is significant and easily measurable. The drum has a tone here and a different tone there and according to tension/tuning! How hard you hit it = how fast is your attack, or velocity in the midi editor; this has to do with timing. And it's going to vary from object to object. IE: you may have to readjust much of timing if you try this midi file on a different enough set of drums.

My point here is 'what is the actual model'. The drummer in Ghana is conscious. The music has a cultural underpinning, it is part of a tradition. To what extent does that determine the variance? Does a German drummer's results abstractly adhere to the same model? This abstracting of things into maths seems to want to avoid musical tendency, in order to come up with simple statements.

We also can't forget the influence of mother language in the equation (this related to the question about drummer of Ghana versus Germany).

I've written a fado for toy piano and played it and I have it on youtube. When a Korean girl played the same tune I've composed following my musical score and my youtube rendition I totally noticed how she slightly changed my rhythm/groove. I was kinda "it seems she's playing my tune with an accent!", and it sounded kinda awkward to me, like an "uncanny valley" sensation...

That same "uncanny valley" sensation many times is felt with mechanized rhythms or automatic humanizations.

And that is exactly the link. According to Patel, reviewing some studies on the subject our ability to discern both picth and rhythms from the continuum into discrete "slots" is linked to our mother language (that is why absolute pitch in chinese is 4 times more frequent than western civilizations, because they have a tonal language). An accent is nothing but you talking a foreign language using the same "groove" (accents, rhythm, etc) of your own language... When our brain is growing and developing as a child we actually fine tune our resolution but we lose something in the process. As a baby we are an "open box" regarding the continuum but as we grow older we become very sensitive to the discrete, that is how we develop a sense of "tuning" (what is out of tune or not in a certain scale) and what is out-of-pace. Someome growing in a culture with quarter-tonal music will have very different brain schemes that one growin with pentatonic music.

In the same way the German drummer will play his rhythm having that bias and the Ghanese have that other bias... the "accent" will always be there affecting the equation. The groove of your mother language will affect your ability to play other grooves.
Play fair and square!

Good points.

KoolFartWind wrote:
foosnark wrote:
KoolFartWind wrote:What is the difference to meter, then ? I think groove is the temporal template and meter the accentual one.
The way I think of it, meter might tell you how a measure is divided (and where accents tend to be), but groove includes how individual beats are relatively late or early from that division, as well as dynamics.
That is an approach, but when individual beats periodically are relatively late, than this property should reflect in the meter as well. Meter has (theoretically) an infinite amount of levels. For example a 2/4 meter will imply an underlying 6/8 sequence and that will imply other possible divisions (similar to fourier analysis).
"relatively" late? How late? What are you actually saying? If we're in quarter note beat, 50% between a given beat is called an 8th note. 75% will be the next sixteenth note, ie., dotted 8th-16th. You seem to be suggesting swing by the reference to factor of three.
If it's swung, the convention of jazz swung 8ths or even 16ths allows that subdivision to stand. It could in fact be 60%, it could be 70%. This is true of a reggae rhythm approach as well. And when people are responding to other people there is some give-and-take, or even a remote session, the rhythm guitarist is going with my drumming.

If it's always the same, maybe it's triplets.* However more sophisticated people tend to like some freedom and there would be too much to notate. A jazz person swinging is not that easily reduced. When there are really meaningful changes in the time maybe they should be notated. People that know these things in the idiom probably aren't needing notation though.

Anyway, you have contradicted yourself: you have stated "meter [is] the accentual template" but then gave an example of a cross-accent. *And note well, the 2 quarter notes have to become 2 dotted quarters to actually be 6/8 before you start dividing that further.

Yes, you're right.

a period where two (or more) variables fall into phase with eachother
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

What is most interesting about this thread is how it is doing everything it can to defeat the purpose of coining the word 'groove'. Thought provoking, maybe, but not groovy. 8)

KVR is just, like, wow! It's cool, but, wow...

jancivil wrote:Good points.
Yeah, it is very good points now that I look at it again. I never really thought about it that way, but it probably even explains how the British helped explode rock music by removing the peculiar hick and negro 'grooves' and replacing them with a more 'universal/generic'? feel that worked better even in places in the u.s. like the midwest and california.

The Beatles still suck, but, OK, I see it now...

lectrixboogaloo wrote: The Beatles still suck, but, OK, I see it now...
while I wouldn't say they suck (back in the day I was more of a stones fan myself) I often joke about the spelling of their name and wonder if it was a take on beat less. :clown:

About this thread not actually defining groove, that's why I posted just a google search results. I think a thread like this on a topic like this could go 100 pages without getting a clear definition because simply put if there ever was a clear definition it has been long since blurred. Blurred by different beliefs on what it means, by different uses of the word groove in software, by artists, producers, engineers and even by how it is applied to different genres...I think (in my very humble opinion) that it is a term that is increasingly open for interpretation :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

nah hink, hes right, they do suck.
even if im not prepared to actually say it out loud and will deny i typed it and claim it was hackers if anyone round here sees this.

vurt does not want to be beaten to death by scousers.

When I hear the word "Groove" I soon think inevitably at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-sIKX227Yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXTopchIrNY

Hard Rock, Funk, Blues, Soul, great rhythm and more... Please listen..! ;-)

vurt wrote:nah hink, hes right, they do suck.
even if im not prepared to actually say it out loud and will deny i typed it and claim it was hackers if anyone round here sees this.

vurt does not want to be beaten to death by scousers.
:lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

A groove is when the beat is slightly off with the tempo but still maintains musicity.

I love Deep Purple!

Return to “Music Theory”