What is a groove?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone have a simple definition?
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

It's the underlying set of pulses on which events happen the most, each with certain characteristics, such as a probabilistic weight and degree of accent. In short, it's the most basic of rhythmic expectations as based on what the listener has already heard. This is why loops are sometimes called grooves.

Oh, you wanted a simple definition? It's when the stuff happens :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

But what about grooves with pitch (i.e. bass and melodic sorts of grooves)?

Surely no one would deny there is such a thing as a bass groove. Are you saying that is only referring to the bass rhythm?
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

A recurrent pattern of rhythmic micro-deviations?

I mean, if you consistently play a certain ostinato ahead of the beat by a certain tiny amount, that would generate a groove. A different one would emerge if you consistently extend the weak notes, generating syncopation feeling, for instance... swing in jazz is a kind of groove.
Play fair and square!

an optimist lives in a groove, a pessimist lives in a rut.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp I LOVE that!

A.M. Gold wrote:But what about grooves with pitch (i.e. bass and melodic sorts of grooves)?

Surely no one would deny there is such a thing as a bass groove. Are you saying that is only referring to the bass rhythm?
Well, there are shades of meaning to the word. To me, it's primarily rhythmic, and that's the academic meaning as far as I'm concerned. In a more loose sense you can think of a groove as any set of tendencies, rhythmic, melodic, habitual. Like a literal physical groove, it's a low energy state, the path of least resistance and maximum momentum. The concept can apply to anything.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

It's the space you leave in between...
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

werp wrote:an optimist lives in a groove, a pessimist lives in a rut.
I really like this. Very cool.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I've heard people referring to a primarily rhythmic or bass track as "a groove track". :)
I guess the "groove track" would be the underlying rhythmic and melodic foundation of the song, the track that "creates the groove".

It is any pattern or path that produces dopamine.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Sendy wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:But what about grooves with pitch (i.e. bass and melodic sorts of grooves)?

Well, there are shades of meaning to the word. To me, it's primarily rhythmic, and that's the academic meaning as far as I'm concerned. In a more loose sense you can think of a groove as any set of tendencies, rhythmic, melodic, habitual. Like a literal physical groove, it's a low energy state, the path of least resistance and maximum momentum. The concept can apply to anything.
Dave Pensado said JJP says "just get a groove going". JJP is a bass player. I'm not sure exactly what either one of them means by that but Pensado was reacting to a sweet little snippet of acoustic guitar strumming that had a clear, catchy chord progression (and a great rhythm with strong momentum for the song).

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

As simple as i can put it: something that makes you start bobbing your head to it... :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Music Theory”