Your thoughts on modes

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At ~48.5s, this takes us from a harmonic environment to pure Phrygian, in some modal counterpoint.

Pure G Phrygian (the first note of the section is Ab).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RQFaqZ-l4

Then, as I do need to get back to 'C' for the next section, I manage that by preparing and resolving, effectively modulating.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

datroof wrote:
jancivil wrote:
datroof wrote:I'm sure you're right. And of course, everyone knows that you're never at fault.
- that isn't my view. I regret going into the meaning of de facto, actually. I'm at fault for whatever I'm at fault for. Your story about me I think is more founded in you, however.
Once upon a time, there was an old woman who - without realizing it - stepped in a big pile of dog crap and got it all over her shoes. She eventually started to notice the smell, and immediately began blaming it on the people around her, saying things like: "everywhere I go, everyone smells like dog crap". Many other people noticed it too, and one after another they tried to tell her: "hey lady, you've got dog crap on your shoes". And one after another, she dismissed their comments, saying things like : "your comment says more about you than it does about me" and so forth. And so, that old lady walks around with dog crap on her shoes to this very day, always blaming the smell on others, and always dismissing their comments. The end.
I got crap on my shoe, but god damn do it smell bad in here.
I say I got crap on my shoe, but god damn do it smell bad in here.
If I don't clean my act up by Friday,
My woman say she gonna disappear.

(Some Mixolydian harp bullshit goes here, just keeping shit on topic)

C Aeolian, with a vaadi (Indian dominant) Eb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6t6Hj1c ... uX&index=3

duplicated
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I never understood the notion that 'modes are a waste of time to learn', or that it has minimal application to popular music today. the thing about modes is that they carry far more than just a single implication, and has many applications to both writing and performing music. I know that for me, personally when I decided to look into modes, several of those 'a-HA!' moments that all self-taught musicians come to know and love.

For example, even though modes were 1 of my 1st theoretical endeavors and i had very very little backbone when I learned them...it instantly took my improvisation/lead on guitar to a higher level just because I now had a solid roadmap of how to play in key 'safely' over the entire fretboard, along with a great coloration tool, being able to create different sounding 'moods' or feelings within a given key when playing a lead or melody.

this above ^^ is barely scratching a surface in the topic. it's just 1 example of a "learning the modes byproduct' that helped me grow as a musician. Many will tell you music theory is just a toolset. And mode application is certainly a craftsman. ANd after you learn modes, you will continue to grow upon that and inevitably evolve as a musician/songwriter. Take my above example: learning modes helped me add flavor to my lead/solo/melody. The next week I learn about, say.... arpeggios, and arpeggiation within leads/melodys. THEN the next week when I'm spending some time practicing my lead/improve over chord progressions again..I see myself utilizing modes, except now I am cleverly starting to add in some flavorful accidentals that correspond with the actual chord voicings of the song. etc..etc..etc..etc :)

Tonally speaking, You do not need to learn that much theory in order to completely unbind the shackles of sound in your mind, and express those sounds accurately and clearly. which, anyone starting out in songwriting should acknowledge and strive for from the get-go.

Again, as a musician or songwriter, it isn't necessary to learn a bunch of theory. But it IS necessary to learn a few basic tools.. and modes is certainly 1 of them. The OP and anyone else are more than welcome to PM me if you'd like me to expand on those other things as well. There are also certainly many individuals here who are much much more seasoned in music theory. However, when you are trying to teach yourself, sometimes it can help to hear it from another self-taught. There is a likelihood that we have dealt w/ similar hurdles I have found.. plus I am always happy to discuss soundshop :)
"You must not only aim aright, but draw the bow with all your might."

Return to “Music Theory”