Is chord progression necessary?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sendy wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
EDIT: Now that we have "slow food", maybe there will be "slow trance", too? :hihi:
Yeah, it's called ambient? :hihi:
Only if you treat it with PaulStretch! :P

I think it depends on the vibe/feeling you want to achieve. One chord works well for minimal or tracks that feel techno-ish and very electronic.

A good melody (often) implies a chord progression.

stillshaded wrote:A good melody (often) implies a chord progression.
according to melody?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
according to melody?
I'm afraid I don't follow you.

A melody that implies some sense of resolution does. The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows is all about not resolving.

Juljan wrote:I looked up some house music remakes on YouTube, for example Sebastian Ingrosso-Reload.
I just listened to this, it has a chord progression. Just ask Bach, any time the bass is playing a different note from the melody, that's a chord. Most popular EDM has chord progressions of some sort, you're just not recognizing them as such because they're not chords on a single keyboard.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Most so called "chord progressions" consist of 4 (or more) chords. I've never seen any chord progression with 2 chords only...
hueynym wrote:A "Chord Progression" is when one chord goes to another chord. If you are composing diatonic music, regardless of genre, and use notes outside of a single chromatic scale, you are using a chord progression. It may be 2 chords going back and forth, it may be 4 chords. If it goes from one discernible chord to another, it's a progression.
If we're going to get technical, then literally speaking, at least with tonal music, a "progression" has to move towards the tonic according to the principles of functional harmony. So ii-V and V-I are both "progressions".

V-ii on the other hand (for example) moves in the other direction and is therefore a "retrogression" instead. (The clue is in the names.)

This is admittedly pedantic, and most people nowadays use the term "progression" to refer to any series of (any number of) chords though (which is fine).

Sorry, I know this isn't relevant to the OP - feel free to ignore.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

JumpingJackFlash wrote:If we're going to get technical, then literally speaking, at least with tonal music, a "progression" has to move towards the tonic according to the principles of functional harmony. So ii-V and V-I are both "progressions".

V-ii on the other hand (for example) moves in the other direction and is therefore a "retrogression" instead. (The clue is in the names.)
Did you mean I-V as a "progression"? Otherwise, V-I moves in the other direction, too, as well as V-ii...

Tricky-Loops wrote:
JumpingJackFlash wrote:If we're going to get technical, then literally speaking, at least with tonal music, a "progression" has to move towards the tonic according to the principles of functional harmony. So ii-V and V-I are both "progressions".

Did you mean I-V as a "progression"? Otherwise, V-I moves in the other direction, too, as well as V-ii...
Retrogressions are just a peculiar type of progression (essentially they're "standard" progressions in reverse and without cadences). I-V resolves way to strongly to really be a retrogression imho (retrogressions tend to have really weak resolutions).

Tricky-Loops wrote:Did you mean I-V as a "progression"? Otherwise, V-I moves in the other direction, too, as well as V-ii...
No, V-I moves towards the tonic as I said.

JumpingJackFlash wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Did you mean I-V as a "progression"? Otherwise, V-I moves in the other direction, too, as well as V-ii...
But then it's a cadence... Or is a cadence a progression?

Tricky-Loops wrote:
JumpingJackFlash wrote:
But then it's a cadence... Or is a cadence a progression?
Not every V-I is a cadence (or to put it another way, V-I is not necessarily a cadence).
Even if it was, it would still be a progression (in and of itself), hence "cadential progression" :wink:

Now I still don't understand why V-I is a progression and V-ii is a retrogression... :help:

Return to “Music Theory”