Where to start?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I write electronic music and have always gone by ear, but I'm now interested in getting things to sound right. If I have a tune, say a main chord in A... what would the bass line need to be to complement it. Same with other elements. Any suggestions on books or what not to get started? Thanks

Ideally music lessons would be best, book-wise this is a good one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theory-Computer ... +musicians

Thanks, I shall begin there.

ARNK wrote:I write electronic music and have always gone by ear, but I'm now interested in getting things to sound right. If I have a tune, say a main chord in A... what would the bass line need to be to complement it. Same with other elements. Any suggestions on books or what not to get started? Thanks
The 1st thing you need to do is remove your innate tendency to think making music is like a math equation. Yes, there are indeed some formulaic attributes in most genres of music. But as someone who is just getting their feet wet in music creation, you need to get rid f that association- the best thing you can do right now is to make yourself start thinking in creative terms. I would advise you to apply that you apply that principle in other walks of life as well. Once your start thinking like an artist, I guarantee you will start asking yourself the right questions.

feel free to PM me further if you have more specific questions you'd like to explore. I have taught a little bit in guitar/piano/bass/drums instruments with the specific intent of songcraft and/or improvisation. the instrument/genre isn't the focal point, but rather the ability to communicate our own inherent melodies as accurate & as quick as possible with the instrument at hand. I realize you are speaking about electronic music specifically and your needs may be a bit different. but same principle applies. the songs with the best melody will win. So as a songwriter, you need to A) strive for the best melody and B) be able to communicate that melody with a voicing, or instrument. 'The more proficient you are, the less gets lost in the translation' is a good way to start looking at and evaluating your progress as a music artist.

Remember that anybody and everybody can be a songwriter. Even when we aren't intending to, we transmit shades of songwriting when humming or tapping your feet or even as a 3 yr old walking with their mommy singing "da daa doo doody" . but being able to harness the 'transmissions' is what takes some practice and refining. Develop your ear, and then trust it. :tu:

best of luck to you. I sincerely hope that you stick with it and learn to experience true aural pleasure :clown:
"You must not only aim aright, but draw the bow with all your might."

play instruments, learn songs, learn circle of fifths
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

I would start with learning your scales - start with major scales and minor scales. I remember when starting classical piano lessons that this was pretty much one of the first music theory items we learned.

It might be not very much fun and boring - but actually practicing playing major and minor scales will help you "feel" them on a keyboard. You can find the notes in a scale easily online, and you don't even need fingering or anything like that just play them up and down. It'll also give you basic ear training on how major and minor scales sound.

Once you think you have a decent idea about scales - you can move to different chords - triads, 7ths, 9th, 11th. dominant, augmented, suspended etc - then you'll pretty much have the building blocks necessary although music theory can get super deep.

Return to “Music Theory”