What is this chord sequence I made up?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to learn more theory, so while I was fiddling around on the piano, I want to figure out what I came up with.

The inversions confuse me in theory.
So, first my guesses, tell me if I am wrong: We are in D minor, the first chord is Dm7, the second could be Am or some inversion of C6...I don't know how to tell or how to label it, the next I am only calling Bbmaj9 because I am assuming we are in Dmin.

The fourth I have no idea what to call it without a 4th note. But if I add a 4th note C, C#, or D it doesn't sound right anymore, although cool for a "leave them hanging for resolution". But this chord is the resolution.. What do we call it? A7 with no third, because A would be the v of Dmin? I don't think that is a valid label :P

Were my guesses wrong?

It's Emin sus4.

Hold the A where it is and then move the E and the G down to resolve back to Dmin.

c_bomb wrote:It's Emin sus4.

Hold the A where it is and then move the E and the G down to resolve back to Dmin.
I don't think so. In a sus 4 chord, the 4th replaces the third. If the third is present, the additional note is an 11th. The actual terminology could vary depending on what note is playing in the bass; I would agree with the OP that it would make sense to call it A7 no 3rd. But often a chord can be given several different names; a lot depends on context, and sometimes personal preference.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

DocAtlas wrote:
c_bomb wrote:It's Emin sus4.

I don't think so. In a sus 4 chord, the 4th replaces the third. If the third is present, the additional note is an 11th. The actual terminology could vary depending on what note is playing in the bass; I would agree with the OP that it would make sense to call it A7 no 3rd. But often a chord can be given several different names; a lot depends on context, and sometimes personal preference.
Right you are! I'll step aside. :oops:

Dm7 C6 Bbadd9/D Em11 (without the 5th and 7th)

I tried your sequence, but I found it detuned to my ears.

I suggest this sequence, key d-, good for a quiet athmosphere.

d2 f2 a2
d2 f2 a2 c3
e2 g2 b2b c3
e2 g2 b2b d3
d2 f2 a2 d3
e2 a2 c3 e3
f2 a2 c3 f3
e2 a2 c3 e3
d2 f2 a2 d3

than you can repeat the sequence from the beginning.
(b2b = b2 flat)

D7
C6
Dm7#5
Em11-this one could be interpreted several ways, as it only has 3 voices.
Steve Wisnoski

stevewisnoski wrote:D7
C6
Dm7#5
Em11-this one could be interpreted several ways, as it only has 3 voices.
Typo on the D7?

Keeping things simple.
Dm7
C6
Dm7#5
Em(-5) add11

Yep, typo, that is a flatted 3rd making it a Dm7, thank you.
Steve Wisnoski

Return to “Music Theory”