Help identifying this scale and progression?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq8ZcIfLDUo

I thought this is a great theme for a RPG. Very medieval (perhaps just intonation tuning? is that even a thing for vocal harmony?). Is there a specific voicing/voice leading technique to achieve this effect?

It's in Dorian mode. I think it stands out mostly because it's well sung.

TankEyes wrote: I thought this is a great theme for a RPG. Very medieval (perhaps just intonation tuning? is that even a thing for vocal harmony?). Is there a specific voicing/voice leading technique to achieve this effect?
Based on the MIDI here
http://www.marioverehrer.com/forum/subm ... c-and-midi

That youtube video is based on the first part of the MIDI, then the MIDI starts into the song.
So based on the first part of the MIDI it only played 6 notes

MIDI Track Name [S: 1]
NOTE ON Totals
C = [4]
D = [8]
E = [2]
F = [2]
A = [9]
B = [3]

(Scale Interval in C )
0 1 5 7 8 10 Honchoshi Japan, Insen Japan, Niagari Japan Key(s) => E
[ 6n] C C# F G G# A#

0 1 3 5 6 10 Honchoshi Plagal Form Key(s) => B
[ 6n] C C# D# F F# A#

There was other know scales with 7 and 9 notes but I thought I'd point out these 6 note scales. There was also a couple of 6 note Raga scales as well.

Presented in this way, it is appropriately simple. There is no accompaniment. There is no vocal harmony. Just a simple melody sung in unison. No syncopation really. No raised leading tone. Dorian mode. It doesn't have any obvious trappings of modern or even classical era music.

When you listen to the main theme in the full arrangement, it still has the same simple Dorian melody. But now it sounds like a movie soundtrack about something that happened long ago instead of something that actually came from long ago.

It's so simple.. Gosh. Thank you for the answers guys.

Return to “Music Theory”