Diatonic modes-beginner question.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all, new to music theory. Got a quick question of Diatonic modes;

I am a little confused, since certain scales, eg) A minor and C major are comprised of the same notes, If I am playing in A minor, wont I essentially have access to all the same chords as I would if I was in C major?

What separates the sound? Is it based off the tonic, and the revolving around the chord progression back to the cadence or the 'root'? Or should the chords I use in the A minor scale also be minor chords (like minor triads etc.) to really get that 'minor feel'?

Sorry if the question is hard to understand. :dog:

Thank you! :hug:

It's about the tonic. Consider two of the more notoriously common pop progressions. One has pattern like C->Am->F->G. The other has pattern like Am->F->C->G. Same four chords with a small change in the order. The first one is C major but not the second one.

perfect, clear and concise! thanks for your help

On paper, of course you see the same harmonies in both. The thing, though, is that you'll need to watch certain of these as they lean heavily towards a resolution at C major. The tritone B & F in harmonies particularly. So vii in C, B D F, as ii in A minor is a little problematic... depending. IF you are working in a truly *diatonic*, I mean tonal environment, you may have the notion that you can work a move BACK_TO A minor; but if you are thinking really 'modally', ie., you're interested in A Aeolian,(which corresponds w. 'natural minor' as you have given it here)... well, you have to recognize that tendency with your G dominant 7th and B diminished and so forth. So the things Nystul indicated are the good bets... for the rather non-classical, regular pop tune and what-not moves. Less is more; rather than think "I have all seven of these chords, just the same as C major". C major is its own thing as is A natural minor as you have it AFAIK.

I missed you here Jan.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Music Theory”