a orchestra/drum chart/positioning graphic? Perc panning etc.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

do you follow a rule when you use rock kits etc. and place the hihats at a special place, the toms etc.?
is there some graphic which shows me where each percussive should be aroundly panned? :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

The drum kit is in the majority of cases placed (audience perspective): toms hi to lo = R to L; snare @ center or a smidge R; hihat just to the R of the snare. This is a right-handed POV. (Ringo Starr is left-handed but set up the kit the same. Typically he would do a backwards tom fill, R to L/Lo to Hi, which is L to R for the audience.) More typically than not, the ride cymbal is placed at R suiting the right-hand m.o. but not everybody does that.

There is one more or less solid convention for orch. perc. and that holds true for <classical period>, and that is timpani @ audience's left. Not far left particularly. Depending on the number of forces and the venue, seating for the percussion can be kind of ad hoc/catch as catch can. And conductor's preference. I don't have a set plan, it's a compositional decision.

This is illustrative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxPPA9ZFvck

Here, perc. is on the (audience) left. I caught a vid of a New York Phil. performance, they're on the right. Elsewhere, they're @ center.
I would note one (IME) essential: the bass drum is behind the timpani.

There are multiple setups for orchestral percussion, and it depends on the hall. Especially when there is a lot of percussion involved, it's just across the back, wherever there is place. If you want to see how it can be done, the words you want are "orchestra seating": https://www.google.com/search?q=orchest ... wQ_AUIBygB

Return to “Music Theory”