New website + free download: 300+ scales and their chords (incl. MIDI files)

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everybody,

I just created a new website that answers two big questions for more than 300 different scales:
1) What are the scale notes for each root note?
2) Which common chords are available for this scale?

You can find everything here:
http://feelyoursound.com/scale-chords/

For each scale + root note you will find the following resources:
  • A MIDI file with scale notes and common chords.
  • Chord graphics that display both scale notes (yellow) and chord notes (red).
  • Infographics for common western scales. They include all the basic chords (with roman numerals) on one handy PNG.
Example infographic for E Minor:

I also prepared two free download packs with MIDI files and infographics. The smaller one includes just the most popular western scales (6 MB), the bigger one includes all scales (28 MB).

They are available here as well:
http://feelyoursound.com/scale-chords/

Small background story:
A few weeks ago I needed a few chord graphics for another project. In the beginning I used my software Sundog Scale Studio (http://feelyoursound.com/sundog/) and made some screenshots, but soon enough I decided to write a small exporter for the different chord types. To cut a long story short: One week later I had a collection of over 200.000 different chord images and over 4.000 MIDI files. Plus a few hundred html pages to keep everything organized ;).
I decided to make these pages available for free. So whenever you need to look up some chords and don't have Sundog with you - here they are :).

Cheers,
Hauke
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

Thanks for putting that together,

Looks like a promising study tool!

- Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

You are welcome :)!

Cheers,
Hauke
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

...thanks for sharing this ressource! And I really like the cooking analogy in the video. Both need a balanced mix of your ingredients... :tu:

Haha, thanks :D! I enjoyed shooting the video, but cutting the scenes + editing the footage made me hungry again and again ;).

Great Job!

Was thinking it might be nice to see the intervals of each scale based on starting key.
For instance, in c - then list interval pattern of all the scales, so we can see how they differ at once.

Key C
Harmonic - intervals of c harmonic minor
Indian - Intervals of c indian

Etc
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:Great Job!

Was thinking it might be nice to see the intervals of each scale based on starting key.
For instance, in c - then list interval pattern of all the scales, so we can see how they differ at once.

Key C
Harmonic - intervals of c harmonic minor
Indian - Intervals of c indian

Etc
Ah, I see, thanks for the input! Might be a thing for a future update indeed.

Cheers,
Hauke

Would be awesome. The way you showed everything with the images on the keys is a good idea and really helpful!
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I'll try the Sundog demo.

A question for hauke: Does the full version's license allow installing on more than one machine? I have a Windows PC running Sonar and a MacBook Pro with Logic.

P.S.: Nachdem das Video anzuschauen, habe ich Hunger.

[eta] Never mind, I found the FAQ.
Can I use one license to install Sundog on different computers?

Yes, this is allowed - as long as these computers belong to you and you don't use them at the same time. So using Sundog on your Mac in the morning and on your PC in the evening is perfectly fine. Running Sundog on two computers at once would require an additional license though.

Meffy wrote: [eta] Never mind, I found the FAQ.
:wink: :tu:

nakshazia wrote:Actually, writing notes along with keywords really help a lot to people for their relying upon the music, but some notes are really not understandable to get into but you should try giving the best of the ones, for people's convenience.
Umm.. I am not sure if I understand you correctly here. Can you provide an example which notes are not understandable? And which are the "best of the ones"?

All the best,
Hauke

Dankeschön!!

Gosh wrote:Dankeschön!!
Gerne :wink: / you're welcome :party:

Cheers,
Hauke

Nice - thats a great resource.

Ya know, yer ii7 in minor shows as the symbol for diminished 7th ("iiº7"). It isn't, dim. triad with minor 7 is known as half-diminished: (looks more like) "iiø7". I don't think that's your intent, but that is the symbol for dim. 7.

Return to “Music Theory”