What the "F" of a scale is that??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice find Opax!

Sorry for bumping kind of old topic!

Usually these type of scales I call what is the closest to what I'm writing or playing for communcational reasons or something like that, and call it modulation when there is other notes.

For example: I have this bit that goes in F Phrygian dominant and once every 100 measures it goes with the b3 ( normal phrygian scale ), instead of finding a scale that has all the notes needed to fit the song, I would either tell ppl that we are going phyrigan there, or in sheet, I would write at start of the measure "F-Phrygian:" and "F-Phrygian dominant:" after it goes back.

@ thread started, omnious and musical scale :). Just jammed a bunch with a guitar looper (added the 7 to the scale :) ).

That looks more like a scale form for melodic based music. Rather than a traditional type of scale that harmonic progressions are built on.

Usually harmony notes are P4 and P5.

I can see an application for this form transposed following a major triad. In a 1, 4, 5 type progression in F#.

Maybe a B Lydian mode, 1, 2 progession.

I'd rather not put it in a box by trying to classify it but use it for desired effect in a section.

The reason for classification from my observation will be to create distinction for use in context. Mainly in ceremonial or traditional music, to convey an understanding of a change of program or marking of purpose. Eg. Patriotic music or Greeting music.

Have fun with it, there'so still micro tuning the intervals to think about. :-)
It don't mean a thing IIAGTS :D

Diatonic scale: any seven-note scale constructed sequentially using only whole tones and half tones, repeating at the octave, having a tonal center, and comprising only one tritone interval between any two scale members, which ensures that the half tone intervals are as far apart as possible.

Since the sequence contains 4 chromatic notes (Bb-B-C-C#) and has the interval C#-F, we cannot speak of a generic scale. I'm sorry.

However.. if you'd like to *experiment* then at least try to give it the look of a scale (all various notes refer to a specific letter in the range A B C D E F G):

E# F# G# A# B C Db

Return to “Music Theory”