how to build a tritonic and tetratonic scale and why is it named primitive?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder why nowhere is real information about tetratonic and tritonic scales? I just want to know how they are made which note layering is made and why it is primitive and not common in modern music?

There's plenty of information on tritonic and tetratonic scales. A quick Google turns up examples.

They are not primitive by nature – they just acquire that term because they only tend to be found in fairly isolated cultures where monophonic music is the norm. Human cultures in most of the world seem to move to pentatonic systems quite quickly and then add in more intervals after that as the music becomes more harmonic.

There is no "right" way to construct one of these though if you look at scales like the Warao (Maori) or the Inuit scales they have major second, major or minor third intervals relative to the root. I'd say, most of the time, these scales seem to be missing the fifth – possibly because it's the most obvious harmonic in blown or plucked instruments and so might not be recognised as easily as a note in its own right. Though there are one or two that do have the fifth.

Pentatonics tend to miss out the fourth and the second below the root: you could simply start with a pentatonic and knock out the fifth and another note - but there are tritonics that do have that second below the root (e.g. C, Eb, Bb in the C Ute scale).

Return to “Music Theory”