What to call these chords?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys working on building some arpeggios off some chords I've been working. What would you call these?

I believe I am in the key of d major (correct me if I'm wrong. )

The chord stacks are as follows:

Chord 1:
BDF#

Chord 2:
GDF#

Chord 3:
GEF#

Chord 4:
EDF#

If I have this right then from left to right I have 613, 413, m312, 213 chords. So second inversions of d chords of some kind with the exception of the 3rd chord?

Would 613 be a major 6th? So in this case D6. And 413 would be a diminished chord so D? And 213 being a D2? Not sure about the E.

Thanks for further help,
Kevin
Last edited by theEmbark on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

I don't know what notes the numbers stand for.

jancivil wrote:I don't know what notes the numbers stand for.
Sorry about that not sure what I was thinking last night. I updated them.

Seeing them all that way, they all share the F# so would it be more appropriate to look at them as F# chords second inversion?

Thanks again,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:The chord stacks are as follows:

B G G E
D D E D
F# F# F# F#
Sorry, your notation is not clear to me (yet) as well.
Should I read one chord from left to right or from top to bottom?
Maybe better make a screenprint from the piano roll...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:
theEmbark wrote:The chord stacks are as follows:

B G G E
D D E D
F# F# F# F#
Sorry, your notation is not clear to me (yet) as well.
Should I read one chord from left to right or from top to bottom?
Maybe better make a screenprint from the piano roll...
Sorry about that they were top to bottom. Wasn't sure the best way to notate them in a forum. I can do the piano roll later if still needed but I'm on the road. I updated them again hopefully this is clear. Should have done it this way from rhetoric beginning:)
Kevin DiGennaro

I think it's in B minor :D
Chord 1:
BDF# <- Bm

Chord 2:
GDF# <-Gmaj7 ( with the B missing)

Chord 3:
GEF# <-a broken house chord, some sort of augmented thing Em with an added F# ( with the B missing)

Chord 4:
EDF# < Bm sus4 (with the B missing)

I just hope it sounds cool 8)

Thank you :D I didn't think about the missing Bs.

It sounds great but am trying to study and understand the theory behind it as well. It came out of a d major arpeggio I was playing. So what is the thought process you go thru to name these chords specifically?

I was able to identify the key so I guess then I should have just identified the basic chord and then the 7th etc on the other chords?

Thanks for the help!
Kevin DiGennaro

You said it was in D but the first chord I saw was a Bm (and they both use the same notes, like Am is the minor scale to C major etc)
When I see a broken chord I always want to find the "missing" notes , in this case I think it's mostly the B.
There is no real process I just try some things out and see/hear where they lead me :wink:
theEmbark wrote: So what is the thought process you go thru to name these chords specifically?

Yeager wrote:You said it was in D but the first chord I saw was a Bm (and they both use the same notes, like Am is the minor scale to C major etc)
When I see a broken chord I always want to find the "missing" notes , in this case I think it's mostly the B.
There is no real process I just try some things out and see/hear where they lead me :wink:
theEmbark wrote: So what is the thought process you go thru to name these chords specifically?
Thanks for the insight :-) sounds like I'm on the right track. Sounds like process of elimination in a way combined with theory. I'll continue to work at it. I'm still green to theory but gearing up for school I've got a basic understanding of most concepts but I don't know them in depth like I need to.

Back to the books!
Kevin DiGennaro

Actually, I believe you're in G. You've got the basic chords for a progression in that key, but a bit broken:

2) Gmaj7, 1) Bmi, 3) C (without the C and an F# added) 4) D9 (no fifth).
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

As far as D (or Bm) for key, there's no C# present, so that determination will be premature.
Chords 3 & 4 are in all likelihood Em; Em add2 and E(m)7 9.

As to terminology, 'broken chords' isn't real good, as that already has a meaning, which is the chord presented broken up, for instance arpeggiated.

1) Bm
2) Gmaj7 (no 3rd)
3) Em add2 (first inversion)
4) Em7 9 (no 3rd)

maybe most would call #4 'Em9' but I don't like (ambiguity of) 'm9' or not indicating 7ths even as conventionally it's a given (That proximity of m and 7 means minor 7, and in other cases m9 means minor 9, so the logic of it is poor IME.).
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I figured these were tertial constructions, not seeing anything to indicate otherwise, and determined what made the most sense in terms of thirds in the construction.

jancivil wrote: As to terminology, 'broken chords' isn't real good, as that already has a meaning, which is the chord presented broken up, for instance arpeggiated.
I have/had no idea what a broken chord is but I call three notes that don't make an obvious chord without adding an extra note or two a broken chord which I now know is wrong :hug:

I'm glad you stepped in, I'm always curious of your view on these kind of things :hyper: most of the time you're spot on :tu:

:)

Yeah, 'broken chord' is pretty prevalent lingo. The 'missing' Bs here are implicit; and I called one of the things Em () with no third present, sure of it anyway. Subtleties like this exist in a lot of music. These are kind of 'jazz' type objects and I figured his initial numbers were something on the guitar, this is guitar-derived and guitarists will leave out notes. So do pianists... sometimes full chords are kinda gross, to the purpose.

Greets,

As they're voiced by the OP, the first three chords are Bm (root position), Gmaj7 (root position), and Em9 (first inversion).

Chord 4 could be considered a Dmaj9 with the 9th in the bass (and missing the 5th), thus giving us a tidy root progression of III - I - VI - V, diatonic to the key of G.

Incidentally, the term "broken chord" as I understand it normally refers to any arpeggiation of a chord. Compare the term "style brise" used by Baroque lutenists and guitarists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_bris%C3%A9

Best,

dp

Return to “Music Theory”