Is naming a classical piece in A..B..E..F.. flat or sharp that important or useful?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zethus909 wrote:no clue what ur talkin about or how it relates to what I am saying
Why is it I am not surprised? :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

zethus909 wrote:no clue what ur talkin about or how it relates to what I am saying.
Exactly. You don't.

So maybe it's time to admit you might not know as much about music as some other people and perhaps, oh I don't know, take it as an opportunity to LEARN SOMETHING…?

Just a thought.

Last edited by jancivil on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

zethus909 wrote:I would outlaw and criminalize all non-standard tuned music if I could. it's lethal
:o

Sometimes I throat-sing and try to match the harmonics with the sort of primary pitch of my tinnitus. It's tremendously therapeutic.

So... I won't get to do that when you take over the world?

Or can I do it in private still? :hug:

Anybody have any experience with music at different tuning levels?

I do.
To the extent of a minor third down, no.
Big part of a certain kind of metal is they drop the bottom E string down to C.
It has a horrible sound they seem to like.

I don't know, seems easy to test, take a song in yer DAW and pitch it down 3 semitones. Don't slow it down, purely pitch it down. Then go somewhere online (not a muso site or here!) and see if people can tell which is the real version by a poll. :shrug:

Codestation wrote:primary pitch of my tinnitus.
Is it inline with 12tET exactly, @ A 440?

I would hope that remark by twin o'zeus is facetious, but I've not seen a sense of humor from the boy in so long.
It does comport with an ignorant worldview, tho'.

That would be hopeless to enforce, only people doing fake music in a DAW that never detuned an osc would be safe. And if their piano plugin or Roland rack job is stretch tuning (if it isn't, why bother), round them up too.

People have argued about intonation and systems of for centuries. 12tET as a solution would need a proof. The piano seems to be the central protagonist and it doesn't quite. :shrug:

jancivil wrote:People have argued about intonation and systems of for centuries. 12tET as a solution would need a proof. The piano seems to be the central protagonist and it doesn't quite.
Indeed, it would do good for people to here read about the history of scales, tuning and intonation, to see how troublesome subject it has been (still is for many!). Equal temperament is just a pragmatic solution at best and it's disliked by maaaany composers out there still. The "divine tuning" (or was it divine intonation?) that people spent centuries searching for was never found. Each tuning, including 12tET, has some properties that sum up as a compromise and pain in the arse to someone at least in terms of physical, real instruments.

Well, what kind of non-12-TET temperaments do you guys want to go after?
- Temperaments with more than 12 notes? (ex: Danielou's 53-TET)
- Temperaments with no circle of 5ths? (ex: Pythagorean, Meantone)
- Temperaments with a circle of unequal 5ths? (ex: Well-temperament)
- Non-5th based temperaments? (ex: Indian classic music's intonation, generally doesn't work for Western music due to wolf 5ths)

Like anything else, it's about some music and it always contextual.

Danielou's 53 is theory (one of the few times 'music theory' is theory), to show a certain logic and as a sort of culmination of historical examination of it in his context.
He rather appears to believe in 22 Śrutis, which is all based in 3:2. Difference being syntonic comma, 81:80 herein. This is more or less his account of 22 to an octave.

1:1
256:243 or 16:15
10:9 or 9:8
32:27 or 6:5
5:4 or 81:64
4:3 or 27:20
45:32 or 729:512
3:2
128:81 or 8:5
5:3 or 27:16
16:9 or 9:5
15:8 or 243:128
2:1

(*: Actually he preferred (the inversion of 45:32,) 64:45 to the Pythagorean tritone 729:512, for purposes of symmetry. But it is not a syntonic comma from 45:32.)
The whole thought of Indian Classical Music is, melodically, in the construction of the raga the 'perfect fifth' is just respected.
So you're in error here, saying it's non-fifths-based.
Danielou makes sense of it all here, and this was his religion (or a significant part of).

(just because Danielou or someone came away with, eg., 27:20, 'Wolf-fifth' from 2:1 does not amount to 'non-fifths'. The adjustment is explicated in this list, that choice is 4:3, of course.)

MadBrain wrote: - Non-5th based temperaments? (ex: Indian classic music's intonation, generally doesn't work for Western music due to wolf 5ths)
:roll: Wolf tones have nothing to do with the matter at all. The Just Intonation Wiki had someone stick that in.
I have undertaken a fairly abiding interest in intonation. I've shown it over and over, the Perfect Fifth rules Indian Classical Music.

But this is like saying the guitar isn't any good for Western Music because you can bend some strings in the blues.

For instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PyijOhE4VQ

Argument pulled from ass. You seem to have an ideological beef against intoning differently than 12tET.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:
Codestation wrote:waaa waaa :cry: tinnitus stole my future :lol:
No, the few times I've tried to measure it, it's all over the place. I'd love to record the tinnitus and drench it in stupid amounts of reverb. But it's all in my head I guess :hihi:
jancivil wrote: People have argued about intonation and systems of for centuries. 12tET as a solution would need a proof. The piano seems to be the central protagonist and it doesn't quite. :shrug:
Because he's Batman:

o' course there isn't all these chords in that, but when are those in tune anyway. Think_about_it.
anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMB3IAQ ... 969D4B96C8

Codestation wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Codestation wrote:waaa waaa :cry: tinnitus stole my future :lol:
No,
rhetorical question ;)

Functional wrote:
jancivil wrote:People have argued about intonation and systems of for centuries. 12tET as a solution would need a proof. The piano seems to be the central protagonist and it doesn't quite.
...troublesome subject it has been (still is for many!). Equal temperament is just a pragmatic solution at best and it's disliked by maaaany composers out there still. The "divine tuning" (or was it divine intonation?) that people spent centuries searching for was never found. Each tuning, including 12tET, has some properties that sum up as a compromise and pain in the arse to someone at least in terms of physical, real instruments.
I don't dislike it, it's what there is for dinner, although again, piano, vibes, marimbas... stretch tuning.
The mo'less ET is a good default for chromatic type of music, of any sort.

http://www.marimbas.com/tuning.php

jancivil wrote:[...]
You seem to have an ideological beef against intoning differently than 12tET. Which doesn't really exist on a guitar, even. Gahd I hope you're not further polluting the world using a strobe tuner.
Well, I guess my point of view here is from the "field" of designing synthesizers, and when designing synths that aren't going to be used by Turkish/Arabic/etc musicians, microtonal scale support is very, very far down the list of priorities, because it's used SO rarely.

It's not that I have a beef per se against non 12-TET stuff, and from a mathematical point of view it's fascinating (look up Xenharmonic wiki for an example)... it's just that from a practical point of view (making music in any broadly European style), it's not useful at all because you basically never use it. (note that this is a separate case from doing intentional pitch detuning variations)

Return to “Music Theory”