D min M6

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

B1 D3 D4 F4

Is this D minor Major 6?
I don't understand how I would do this in some basic chord progs. Does it have another name? reduce the repeating octave? D3 D4 -> ? D3? So B1 D3 F4?

It's B diminished with a very wide voicing.

could be either Dm6 or Bdim.... and I'm curious as to why you'd voice it that way?

Occam's Razor (fewest assumptions = probably best supposition) here leads us to what is clearly B diminished triad. B, D, F. Done.

"D min add M6" = D F A B. Evidently B is given as the bass. No, assumption of a missing A in this case is too much, reasoning will have to be provided for the reality of that while we have 'this is that, precisely' instead, already.

jancivil wrote: 'this is that, precisely' instead, already.
Great first line for a song there!

I end up with some weird clauses sometimes.

While it's not a Dm6 (yet), seeing as you ask for a progression, try Elanor Rigby on for size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuS5NuXRb5Y

Em6 rather than Dm6, but whatever...

You hear it in the chorus on "people".

While My Guitar Gently Weeps goes (IIRC):
Am Am7 Am6 F at the beginning (or possibly Am Am/G Am/F# F)

I'm actually working on a song right now with Am6 in it (the progression for the section is Am Am6 F E7)

Eleanor Rigby is definitely doing a min w. M6 there.
The tune in the verse provides C# during E minor, de facto M6, additionally.

Guitar Gently Weeps is Am, Am/G, Am/F#, F, however. As a tertial harmony that may as well be F#ø7, F# A C E.

Compare: Stairway to Heaven, Am, Am (9)/G#, C/G, F#ø7, F^7 (G Am / ).

I couldn't call it 'minor triad add major 6th' in good conscience if the supposed sixth is in the bass.

Return to “Music Theory”