Common intervals/chords by Max Martin

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I read that some intervals (or maybe even chords) are used really often by Max Martin, also other people like Dr. Luke, Shellback and so on.

Could you go a little bit more into detail about your insights? :)

Cheers!

– Juljan

Where to begin? There are just twelve intervals, in essence just six of them when not counting the doubles. So I'd say All of them!!

Go analyse some songs and figure out what's actually used. Maybe mention one specific song and someone can provide the chords and melody, deduce the intervals from that.

Sorry, no hit record is ever written with a "paint by numbers" strategy.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I think he just meant I V IV VI.

Basically just make a simple progression with any variation of these chords in any order and it will sound like the radio.

Probably this then:

Axis of Awesome - 4 Four Chord Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co9mW_9hH2g
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Sorry, no hit record is ever written with a "paint by numbers" strategy.
Tell that to:

Brill Building
Motown
Atlantic
Stock, Aitken and Waterman
Max Martin
Karl Schuster and Martin Sandberg
Tor Hermansen and Mikkel Eriksen

I know what you mean, but there is often a formula behind the scenes! It sometimes needs a little bit of magic / talent as well, but a formula of some sort is still there.

WHat do you mean intervals? Intervals are applicable to individual instruments/tracks. When you say Max Martin or other producers you have to mean arrangement or chord progression or something.

ChamMusic wrote:
BertKoor wrote:Sorry, no hit record is ever written with a "paint by numbers" strategy.
Tell that to:

Brill Building
Motown
Atlantic
Max Martin

I know what you mean, but there is often a formula behind the scenes! It sometimes needs a little bit of magic / talent as well, but a formula of some sort is still there.
Max Martin and Martin Sandberg is the same person, I believe.

JoseC. wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
Tell that to:

Brill Building
Motown
Atlantic
Max Martin

Ha! Good point...I was typing quickly and didn't realise I'd done that!

He also, briefly, went by Matin White in his Glam Rock days!

Its more than chords man. Just sharing this:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc16Y1gKUDc

I don't think you should look for any specific intervals or chords. All these intervals and chords have been used gazillion times in numeros songs and styles for hundreds of years. You won't find any uniqueness in that aspect. If your goal is to emulate (or get inspired by) these songwriters, the only thing you can do is studying their songs, analyze their melodies, chord progressions, structure etc...that takes a lot of time and dedication but that's really the best thing you can do.

If you're studying anybody whose sold records that chart on billboard then no actually it won't take alot of time, they all use the same chords, progressions and song structures lol
Bippo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:22 am I don't think you should look for any specific intervals or chords. All these intervals and chords have been used gazillion times in numeros songs and styles for hundreds of years. You won't find any uniqueness in that aspect. If your goal is to emulate (or get inspired by) these songwriters, the only thing you can do is studying their songs, analyze their melodies, chord progressions, structure etc...that takes a lot of time and dedication but that's really the best thing you can do.

It depends on what level you want to reach. If you just want to learn "what" is in the songs, it won't take a long period of time. But if you want to study these songs and reach a deep level of understanding and an ability to emulate these songwriters and actually WRITE songs that will reach the top-40 like the people the op mentioned, that's a whole different story.

"Max Martin" is a red herring here. There is nothing unique about the individual's practice particularly.
If you want to know the mechanics of a specific song, analyze it specifically and draw inference from your findings.

ChamMusic wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:27 pm
JoseC. wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
Tell that to:

Brill Building
Motown
Atlantic
Max Martin

Ha! Good point...I was typing quickly and didn't realise I'd done that!

He also, briefly, went by Matin White in his Glam Rock days!
probably a spy.

Return to “Music Theory”