Crysonic Spectralive!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there. hmmm. I'm not decided yet. Firstly, the demo beep is so frequent it is beyond insane. I mean, it got on my nerves VERY quickly. please, space it out more! and slightly less ear piercing!

However, having said that, I got some useful results out of it and the minimonsta demo. Had the minimonsta demo in chainer and spectralive inserted below it. I noticed quite some punch and air without sounding artificial. This jury is still out, but I'll be testing it more, and of course trying it on complete mixes. I'm curious also, has Ben perhaps made an (honest) mistake? I can't find any evidence anywhere that this is synthedit. There is no "about" functionality and i can't find "made with synthedit" anywhere on the site. Surely legally they would have to disclose they used synthedit? And also, Chris B said "it doesn't even use any custom Synthedit modules - just the standard ones." How do you know this?? Lastly, I will agree the mp3 demo's aren't particularly wondeful. I think the mistake in this one is that they are already taking a mastered commercial mix and reapplying processing, which is a no no (i only listened to the first one)..plus..mp3..hmm..well..

Uhm. All I heard when going from dry to wet was EQ+loudness+distortion? If I want to achieve what they achieve in the mp3 examples I use eq + compression.

About it being made with synthedit, these strings appear in the dll (random selection of strings:
"Can't Copy (or Cut) an 'IO Module'. Please un-select it and try again"
"GenProg needs a synth connected to 'Clone' input"
"Show Title On Panel"
"SynthEdit"
"default\global.txt"
"Error: Can't find the default skin directory. You may need to re-install SynthEdit."
"ERROR: You have more than one 'MidiToCv', 'Soundfont Player', or 'Drum Trigger' in same container (or in a sub-container)."
"SynthEdit www.synthedit.com"

I think we atleast can come to the conclusion that it's made with SE :)

Also, the only "not included with windows dll" that was referenced was se_vst.dll, which I guess is SE's default stuff. I thought you had to use custom modules by including them as dll's?
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

Call me crazy, but I thought it sounded awesome on a guitar-based rock track. I realise I could probably chain together an EQ, tape-sim and a compressor, but I kinda like having a one-button, big fat analog-sounding insert sometimes - like DiscoDSP's ThrillMe, which I use a lot to get a big sound, then roll off some of the crazy low-end, etc. I found this one has smoother highs than ThrillMe.

This plug could help to approximate a big Mesa sound, it seemed to really like guitars. People are doing pretty amazing things with SynthEdit these days, I never would've guessed this was made with it. I would consider picking it up...if the price was a little more.."fun"...

Now I wish the !@%$# beep wasn't so loud and frequent!! Very hard to appraise something under those circumstances.

kylen wrote:
molenaare wrote:Just check out the new vitalizer/enhancer plug from Crysonic: http://www.crysonic.com

I could not believe my ears. They use a patented algoritm, but check out yourself. And try the demo. Only nasty thing is that the demo-beep occurs too frequently in my opinion.

THIS THING ROCKS! :love:

What do you guys think?
Welcome molenaare - are you marketing for Crysonic or just an enthusiastic believer ?
No, i'm not connected to Crysonic at any way. But I don't understand that you guys don't even give this one a proper look. I downloaded the demo and tried it on some of my mixes and I really liked what it was doing to them. The sound seem deeper and clearer to me and the phase correlation improved definitly (checked the scope in wavelab). Even the stereo control kept the phase in the safe zone when maxed.

But maybe my mixes are that bad (I know they aren't the best always) and any plug can improve them?

When compared to other enhancers/exciters I like this one much better. It's certainly no BBE clone, which I btw not like.

But everyone has it's own likings and favours so be it. I am going to give it a second testdrive.
----------<>-----------
E.M.O.

Well, some of us don't like enhancers/exciters at all. Especially not on the master... :)
Stefan H Singer

stefancrs wrote:Uhm. All I heard when going from dry to wet was EQ+loudness+distortion? If I want to achieve what they achieve in the mp3 examples I use eq + compression.

About it being made with synthedit, these strings appear in the dll (random selection of strings:
"Can't Copy (or Cut) an 'IO Module'. Please un-select it and try again"
"GenProg needs a synth connected to 'Clone' input"
"Show Title On Panel"
"SynthEdit"
"default\global.txt"
"Error: Can't find the default skin directory. You may need to re-install SynthEdit."
"ERROR: You have more than one 'MidiToCv', 'Soundfont Player', or 'Drum Trigger' in same container (or in a sub-container)."
"SynthEdit www.synthedit.com"

I think we atleast can come to the conclusion that it's made with SE :)

Also, the only "not included with windows dll" that was referenced was se_vst.dll, which I guess is SE's default stuff. I thought you had to use custom modules by including them as dll's?
cheers for the info 8)

i think it's a bit low then not to make that clear on their site, not because I have a problem with synthedit, but because Jeff deserves the recognition. And I suspect becuase of the anti synthedit attitude some people have, crysonic specifically didn't mention it. Which I think is devious and wrong.

ttoz wrote:Chris B said "it doesn't even use any custom Synthedit modules - just the standard ones." How do you know this??
Because when you include custom modules in a SE created VST they get written to your disk in a folder with the plugin's name.
molenaare wrote:the phase correlation improved definitly (checked the scope in wavelab).
Can you explain what you mean by this? Can you post a before/after example which shows a definite improvement in the "phase correlation"?
contralogic | YouTube | Twitter | Google+

I have Character, a poco plugin that kind of works in a similar way only much better IMO. The trouble with this type of plugin, I think, is that it unbalances a mix. I've tried using Character on a lead sound and in isolation it really sounds great but when combined with everything else it pushes the other sounds into the background. So then I add Character to the kick and then the bass...you can see where this is going. :-o

I think this type of plugin might be useful for adding a final sheen to a master or accentuating spoken word tracks. But I would always check on a few different speakers first that it hasn't tipped the highs over the edge of comfort before releasing the finished song.

Sometimes less is more.

tried it for 5 minutes *beep* trash bin *beep* sorry .

Seriously, the mp3 examples sounded bad, and usually they sound better than what the actual plugin usually does...

(imo)
Stefan H Singer

molenaare wrote: No, i'm not connected to Crysonic at any way. But I don't understand that you guys don't even give this one a proper look. I downloaded the demo and tried it on some of my mixes and I really liked what it was doing to them. The sound seem deeper and clearer to me and the phase correlation improved definitly (checked the scope in wavelab). Even the stereo control kept the phase in the safe zone when maxed.
OK - I was just trying to feel you out, since it was your first post and I didn't know you. :wink:

I have a lot of bad mixes to work with - believe me. I think I used the BBE plug on a guitar track last month but that kind of thing is a little brutal on a full mix (unless I band limit it possibly...). But this thing is a little past my price range - I try to keep a 79-99$ cutoff or thereabouts. I broke that rule for Kjaerhus GAC-1 recently ($139 w/loyal customer discount) but thats pretty rare.

i personally think that there are way more plugins out there that do the excitement job better (free ones amongst them). that said, plus the fact that the ui is a ripoff and the pricetag, my verdict is: nice try (as well from the plugin content side as well as marketing approach).
aka rktic. demoscener, sound designer, ux-dude, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

Ronny Pries wrote:i personally think that there are way more plugins out there that do the excitement job better (free ones amongst them). that said, plus the fact that the ui is a ripoff and the pricetag, my verdict is: nice try (as well from the plugin content side as well as marketing approach).
Which free ones are that?

yes plz some free exciters :D

RONC

The only thing along these lines I can think of is T-Sledge...maybe Stardust or Endorphin...

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=re ... =1&rpp=100

Return to “Effects”