Tablet 2 MIDI - Feature requests

Official support for: livelab.dk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you have ideas for new features for Tablet 2 MIDI, please post them here.

Please post ideas that are as complete as possible. For instance: if you have an idea for how a new feature could look in the GUI, write it down. 1000 brains are better than one.

I'll maintain a list of FR's on the website

Thanks.
Last edited by ohm on Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

ohm my god... ;) no, seriously, although i am really into drawing and painting and don't mind doing it virtually, either, the main reason for getting a new graphics tablet was, to use it as a midi controller. only after that did i find out that no good solutions actually existed. :D

i did a quick test in FL - everything worked fine, and i am not even using a wacom tablet, but one of those cheapo aiptek things.

what i did notice, though, was that it is possible to hide buttons behind XY-pads - the good thing is that one area can be several things at once - a button and part of an xy-pad. the bad thing is that the usability suffers, when you can't see all of the control areas.

FR #1 - show overlap in gui, maybe transparence, maybe different hues, for the overlapping parts.

FR #2 - drag and drop of all defined areas. i don't know it that is possible, but it would be great to quickly rearrange a setup.

FR #3 - resizable control areas in windows traditions (drag edges or lower right corner to change size of control)

i don't know if all of these are possible. if not, this is already so fickend groß, that i am afraid you'll get even more money from me soon, after i just purchased liveslice a few days ago... ;)

congratulations and best of luck, jacob. :)

FR #1 - show overlap in gui, maybe transparence, maybe different hues, for the overlapping parts.
very good idea. will try.
FR #2 - drag and drop of all defined areas. i don't know it that is possible, but it would be great to quickly rearrange a setup.
I could implement a clone feature, so you can insert an exact copy of one controller by pointing with the pen. Mouse drag'n'drop doesn't make much sense, because you have to relate to the drawing underneath the tablet. Note that you can create for instance, a mixer by saving one channel, then importing that channel several times (it hasn't been documented yet). You import by selecting the file, clicking import and then point with the pen where you want the layout inserted.
FR #3 - resizable control areas in windows traditions (drag edges or lower right corner to change size of control)
Not sure about this one - the way I intended tablet2midi to be used is to have every layout define on paper first, so using the mouse for anything but configuring midi doesn't fit the general design.

yeah, i was just beginning to realize that some of my FR's might be due to the nature of my tablet and will not be as important with others. to be exact, my tablet does not feature one of those nifty see-through plastic covers. :(

i have been thinking how to go about attaching a mixer layout to the tablet. i guess i could just tape a piece of paper to it. :shrug:

my tablet does not feature one of those nifty see-through plastic covers
find a piece of thin, hard plastic and attach it with gaffer tape on the top. Much better than using tape each time you need to change layout. You might want to do a separate layout for each song at some point :)

fr#4: right-click context menu for creating gui elements

Can it do hexagons?
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

nuffink wrote:Can it do hexagons?
hehe... that'd be awesome, wouldn't it? you could even put templates on your site, to print out. ;)

there is a freeform function, but i haven't tried it out yet - don't know if it is suited for hexagons, but i guess if circles are possible, hexagons might, too. :)

Can it do hexagons?
You can do this by layering three free form controllers(or six, depending on how you want the values in the hexagon to be). Free form controllers consist of two lines each defining the high and low values of the midi controller, so anything is possible :)

right-click context menu for creating gui elements
you mean right click to select "now I'm going to define a slider" ?
Or do you want a controller to be created via a menu?
I can see how the keyboard shortcuts seem a bit obscure, but it's by far the fastest way of working when tracing a controller layout (from paper) with the pen.
Things are different with tablet PC's I imagine - there you have the luxury of having the layout available directly on the screen and don't use a piece of paper for that. Do you use a tablet PC?

yes, i'm using a tablet pc with a pen with a button that can have two functions assigned, such as right- and double-click...
yes, a sort of 'initialize button creation', etc., option, for example, would be handy.
in addition having the ability to choose resizable basic templates from a right-click and/or drop down menu would be nice but significantly more work.

yes, i'm using a tablet pc with a pen with a button that can have two functions assigned, such as right- and double-click...
ok, so it's on right clicking with the pen the action should take place, I see. I'm not used to thinking i tablet PC - for me the tablet and pen are seperate from the screen, so menues are out of the question, but I can definately see the need for this on a tablet PC.
Resizing is perhaps not that much work, I'll look into it. I could implement it so you had to hold down a button to resize or something - so controllers are not accidentally resized when moving from value 0 to value 63.

Weee, my tablet arrived today so you can guess that this was one of the first things I've been trying out on it.

Lots of fun indeed!

Can we have a 'panic button' of sorts that will clear all the cc messages in-case you get stuck or accidently set off something that makes your synth go crazy?

I will be extensively testing the program though and will keep coming back with more FR when I think of them.

Good job so far!

What would be the best way to set this up to act like a 1-fingered Continuum Fingerboard controller?

Would I need lots and lots of thin XY mixers each set to a different note and pitch bend in order to get something similar, or is there a simpler way?

Heads up: I removed the 15 minute timeout from the preview - the only restriction now is that you cannot recall complex setups (you can only load two controllers)

This makes the tablet2midi demo fully functional, with a limited feature set :-)
What would be the best way to set this up to act like a 1-fingered Continuum Fingerboard controller
Just read about the continuum fingerboard - great idea.
Now about doing that with tablet2midi... hmmm. What you need would be an output of midi notes that are not bound to the conventional scales - very few instruments support this as far as I know. I did some experiments with microtuning, but didn't find synths that do this very well (from midi info).

Since you could only do one note at a time anyway, I recommend you go for a theramin VSTi controlled by a single midi CC via tablet to midi. You can map frequency to X, amplitude to Y and cutoff to preasure for instance - this will be much easier and give better playability IMO.

Return to “Livelab.dk”