Is freeware powerful enough to make good music?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Is freeware powerful enough to make good music?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:30 pm

Yes. If your how to make good music, freeware sound like pro!
82%
Freeware is good, but it's not enough to make a pro-class music.
10%
Freeware is only a toy.
4%
Freeware is only a toy.
4%

Total votes: 146

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please... I need to hear your opinions. Thanks for this :wink:

<-EDIT->

Something strange happened with the first option...
There must be "If you know how to make a good music."
But, as I can see, you all understand me right :)
Last edited by kangul on Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Absolutely yes. If you have the talent, there are copious amounts of freeware tools that will help you realise it.

Erm. you could set up a PC, using only freeware, that would obliterate anything available twenty five years ago...

And the last time I checked, mankind stopped making good music about twenty five years ago...

Correlation? You be the judge.

Without hesitation, yes. People can listen to recordings from the 40's that used extremely outdated equipment and say that it's brilliant, and the freeware that's out now is in many cases respectable even next to the most advanced current commercial alternatives.

Also remember, creative producers who have a $5000 reverb will mic up a drumset in a bathroom just for kicks now and then, or use a karaoke mic to record a lead vocal (Beatie Boys), or even a cheap 4-track tape deck to record an entire album (Ween, John Frusciante)...
Last edited by jplanet on Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jones-y wrote:Erm. you could set up a PC, using only freeware, that would obliterate anything available twenty five years ago...

And the last time I checked, mankind stopped making good music about twenty five years ago...

My oh my, aren't we the cynic !?! :roll: :)

Quality wise, the freeware is on par.

What we pay for is the convenience of CPU efficiency, GUI design, and patch quality.

jones-y wrote:Erm. you could set up a PC, using only freeware, that would obliterate anything available twenty five years ago...

I think what you mean is... record companies only 'signed' packaged acts starting about 25 years ago...
good music is still made... tho not by me.

jones-y wrote: And the last time I checked, mankind stopped making good music about twenty five years ago...
What are you doing here than m8?
This forum is not good for your health... here I have some sugestions for you, if I may:

www.musicfromthepast.com
www.feelingnostalgic.com
www.oldiesmusic.com
www.78rpm.hovers.nl

:hihi:

wow....never seen a poll with only votes in one category :eek:

Freeware sounding like a Pro? Well, it depends on the style I think. House, Trance, Drum n' bass....yes.
But we're still lacking some high quality freeware sample libraries. It'd be very difficult making Rock, Orchestral, Reggae and other acoustic music using freeware only IMHO.

kangul wrote:Please... I need to hear your opinions. Thanks for this :wink:
Hi kangul,

My answer is yes. Why do you ask? Didn't you try it?

Best wishes, FRitz
In the end will be the word.
Check out some of my music at www.fritzmetal.de

Hey, Armadillo, what do you think about that free soundfonts available almost everywhere? Yeah, some of them is a crap, but all the other is brilliant and absolutely free!

Oh fritzman, believe me, it's a long story. Maybe I'll tell it later. But my answer is yes too ;)

kangul wrote:Oh fritzman, believe me, it's a long story. Maybe I'll tell it later. But my answer is yes too ;)
I would really like to hear that story. :)
In the end will be the word.
Check out some of my music at www.fritzmetal.de

it was a bit of humor guys, relax. Hell I'm not even 30...

I have plenty of opinions as to why the general quality of music has declined so significantly, and most of them begin with or include corporatization, but I also tend to think that the wane of the super talented studio musician (bassist/guitarist/trumpetist/drummer) plays a large part in it too. And IMO that can be attributed to both the rise in corporatization of the music industry, and the drop in cost that the bedroom studio's 'virtual backing band' provides.

25 years ago, the cheapest way to record a bass guitar was to hire the best bassist (on a skill:compensation ratio, of course) you could, and record him through the best equipment you could, because that would mean less re-takes (which means less studio time) and less mixing time. Nowadays, you just load up some samples and trigger them from you MIDI controller, and tweak until passable. $100 flat fee for the samples, and you got a bassist until kingdom come.
Last edited by jones-y on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armadillo wrote:wow....never seen a poll with only votes in one category :eek:
I voted yes, but there is one no vote as well. Who could that be... BONES? :hihi:
the the impotence of proofreading

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”