Ubuntu Studio released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you're interested in Ubuntu and audio, video or graphics, check out Ubuntu Studio, released today:

http://www.ubuntustudio.com/

Full package list available here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageList

Looking forward to seeing how well Ardour runs on this!

:)

Cheers,

Malcolm.
5, 4, 3, ..

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up. I was keeping my eye on this(not that I can do much in Linux yet, but I'm trying!).

Brent
My host is better than your host

*bump* was just about to post this.. whew.. I see its a big honkin 868MB file (DVD)

now im wondering if I can upgrade vanilla 5.10 over to this.. :hihi:

Considering that the full Ubuntu is a full DVD, this file it lite. But the full Ubuntu has a TON of extra stuff that isn't needed, of course. I just wish it was a bit smaller to fit on a CD. I hate wasting a whole DVD on something that is barely larger then a CD.

Brent
My host is better than your host

If only Ardour would hosts VST plugs....
Why cry about your own desires, when I could have them and leave you standing in the sadness of your own....

Oh and does anyone know if there are EMU drivers for Linux, open source project or the like? I wouldnt mind trying Ardour out, it looks cool & I wanna see if it compliments my workflow...
Why cry about your own desires, when I could have them and leave you standing in the sadness of your own....

I just installed Kubuntu this morning. :bang:

Actually, I don't think there's anything in here that can't be installed through the regular apt-get/sypaptic/adept methods in *ubuntu but it's convenient to have it already bundled and the linux-image-lowlatency installed by default.

johnnytluxury wrote:If only Ardour would hosts VST plugs....
It doesn't store MIDI data does it? No piano roll or step sequencer?
Analogue or digital – which is better? There's only one way to find out... FI-I-IGHT!!!

is there any networking in so I can mount my network drives?
i'll try that in parallels and Fusion and report on it

LBN wrote:I just installed Kubuntu this morning. :bang:

Actually, I don't think there's anything in here that can't be installed through the regular apt-get/sypaptic/adept methods in *ubuntu but it's convenient to have it already bundled and the linux-image-lowlatency installed by default.
The differences between debian-ish distributions tend to be minor, but where they do differ, it tends to be rather complex for a person who does not truly understand what's going on, such as the distinctions and interactions between runtime and buildtime libraries, and the various combinations that can exist with respect to a given piece of software.

We're still dealing with a system that was designed to be used by people who have a fair understanding of system software and operating systems, that is to say, a user who has the approximate background represented by an undergrad degree in computer science and several years of experience using, administering, and developing software for some flavor of Unix.

This is unfortunate, because the system has evolved in recent years to a point where it can easily be used by people other than those it was designed for -- but there's also the whole phenomenon of "no escaping our roots", which ought to be a familiar thing to musicians as well.

I'm not saying any of this to try to discourage people from using Linux. It's just the fact of the matter that we who adopted Linux in the very early 90's happen to have mostly been computer scientists. It's both a glowing endorsement and a damning slur on it, that fact.

A user can certainly use the system, just as is true for any other operating system, without being aware of how process scheduling works, or the differences between processes and threads, or knowing about the intricacies of virtual memory, multi-level page tables, or caching, without knowing the pros and cons of various I/O device driver implementations, or what kind of tradeoffs can be made to choose between performance, stability, or portability, or how filesystems are implemented or how to tune them, or how multi-processor systems communicate, share devices and memory, etc.

But it certainly helps. Especially when your application happens to be something that really pushes the envelope of what the hardware is capable of, such as is the case in audio production.

On the other hand, it is perfectly reasonable that, even though our application is among the most math-intensive, demanding of to-the-metal performance, that we also desire a point-and-drool user interface to operate it.

Ubuntu Studio includes some more up-to-date builds of the audio and video packages than are in the standard Ubuntu repository. But you can just add the Ubuntu Studio repo to your build and use their packages.

The main site and everything related seem to be down :( .
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

Ja.x wrote:The main site and everything related seem to be down :( .
torrent mirror:
http://members.lycos.nl/b1tr0t/UbuntuSt ... 04.torrent
VitaminD wrote: now im wondering if I can upgrade vanilla 5.10 over to this.. :hihi:
Of course you can, you just wouldn't be very happy with the result :P

If you read the ubuntu studio docs, it says somewhere: everything from ubuntu studio goes into the ubuntu repositories.
This means that you can get everything included in ubuntu studio by regular apt-get stuff, and that you will always run the same version as the one supported by ubuntu studio.

It's just handy to have it on one dvd though, if they could make this a live disc!
I'm most likely going to have 3 os's on my next laptop: one ubuntu studio, one ubuntu vanilla and one winxp

Downloaded this morning but need to clear some space on my drive before I can install because I don't think this will work as a live Cd. Anybody know different or tried it yet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”