How to connect a Talkbox to PC and using Midi Keyboard ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have a talkbox and want to connect it to the PC, and use the FM7 vst with it via a midi keyboard.

Rather than using a hardware keyboard.

Can anyone advise how i would go about doing this.

How would i connect it to the PC, as i know the note played has to go out and return back into the PC.

I want to know if its possible without an amp.

thanks

musicman wrote:I want to know if its possible without an amp.
If you have a genuine talkbox: no, it's not possible without an amp. It's input jack probably says something like "50 Watts 16 Ohm". You could hook it up using the speaker output of something like an old hifi amp.

Oh, and besides the amp you also need a mic (and preamp) to pick up the sound that leaves your mouth ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Keyboard-amp-talkbox.
Mic-preamp-AD converter-DAW.

sorry, i forgot to explain,
i have this one, which my brother bought,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... 633&247SEM

a rocktron banshee, it has a preamp, and amplifier already built in,

how would i connect to the pc. I have no clue about hardware connections since I'm entirely software based.

my brother got it cheap and he wishes to use it to get the infamous "roger troutman" effect.

thanks

Keyboard-talkbox
Mic-preamp-AD converter.

Put tube in mouth, "talk" into microphone while playing keyboard.

where02190 wrote:Keyboard-talkbox
Mic-preamp-AD converter.

Put tube in mouth, "talk" into microphone while playing keyboard.
i read the info but so far have not got enough info to decide what i need,

just wondering. I was told i would need 2 soundcards if i wanted to use a talkbox and record it to PC.

If am using a VST and talkbox, would a talkbox work with such a 10 input/output soundcard? Or is there a simpler solution?

i asked somebody and they said the following.
For the rocktron banshee talkbox which i have,which has its own preamp built in.

they said:

1.) PC Out -> Cable to Input of Talkbox -> Talkbox Tube In Mouth -> Then Cable From Talkbox Output to Another Input of PC Soundcard.

2.)A Microphone is connected to PC somehow, and sound waves coming from the tube go into PC this way to be recorded.

Am i correct ?

What would be the easiest option for this?

I did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIQxwotn3k

Basically, you just connect the speaker to an output of your SC(You'll need multiple outputs or 2 SC's?) And in your sequencer, you route the Soft synth to that output, So FM7 goes out into the Speaker up into the tube to your mouth and then you use a Mic to record it. :)

hi

my soundcard only has 1 speaker output at the back, which im currenty using to have small PC speakers connected.

if i want to connect talkbox.

i simply connect cable from back of PC Lineout into the talkbox, then put tube in mouth?

what about recording it back to the PC?

i obviously need a mic input on my soundcard which i dont currently have.

are you using 2 soundcards?
if possible, do you have some pics of your setup from PC,
then i will probably understand better!

i really get confused sometimes on what to connect!

thanks

It's a very simular setup as with the flanger, but now you don't use the output of the effect but a microphone instead.

Soundcard outputs 1/2 go to your speakers.
So use output 3 (or 4) to feed the FM7 sound to the talkbox.
Connect the mic to the PC (the Delta1010 has mic preamps I think) and that's all you need.
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

ok sorted
thanks
now i understand it much much better!

can anyone recommend a cheap soundcard which has more than one sound output.

eg, so 1 output will go to my speakers, and the second output will go straight into talkbox.

any cheap soundcards out there that will do the job.
Looks like i only need a cheap one to do the job!
thanks

I recall from the other threads you have the following requirements:
* more than two outputs
* at least one mic preamp (to be used with the talkbox)
* at least one Hi-Z input (to be used with the flanger)
* runs on a PC

I fed those into RecordingReview's Soundcard Wizard and got these results.

Not all of these fit your requirements, since the wizzard doesn't know about analog outputs, of which you require at least four.

So I skimmed through, and got the following for your shortlist (I hope you have a firewire connection on your PC), all below $400 :
* FocusRite Saffire LE
* Edirol FA-66
* E-Mu 1616 PCI
* Mackie Onyx Satelite
* ESI ESP 1010

But.... if you get a seperate mic/guitar preamp such as the M-Audio AudioBuddy then you can get a more simple audio card, such as:
* M-Audio Delta 44 (or 66 or 1010 LT or 1010)
* Echo AudioFire4
and the list goes on...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

C00kie wrote:I recall from the other threads you have the following requirements:
* more than two outputs
* at least one mic preamp (to be used with the talkbox)
* at least one Hi-Z input (to be used with the flanger)
* runs on a PC

I fed those into RecordingReview's Soundcard Wizard and got these results.

Not all of these fit your requirements, since the wizzard doesn't know about analog outputs, of which you require at least four.

So I skimmed through, and got the following for your shortlist (I hope you have a firewire connection on your PC), all below $400 :
* FocusRite Saffire LE
* Edirol FA-66
* E-Mu 1616 PCI
* Mackie Onyx Satelite
* ESI ESP 1010

But.... if you get a seperate mic/guitar preamp such as the M-Audio AudioBuddy then you can get a more simple audio card, such as:
* M-Audio Delta 44 (or 66 or 1010 LT or 1010)
* Echo AudioFire4
and the list goes on...
Forget all that! If you want that Roger & Zapp sound you're best,(and cheapest & easiest), choice is a
Yamaha DX-21 or DX-27. Roger used a DX-100 but these are now way overpriced because of that. 21's and
27's are basically the same synth and are available for a LOT less on E-Bay. Cheaper still is the
Yamaha FB-01 which is another 4op FM synth. It won't import DX-100 patches as the architecture is
a bit different but I've created some excellent talkbox patches for the FB-01.
Here are some DX presets that work well for talkbox: Sync Lead FM PULSE, FM SAWTOOTH, Hard Brass,
Muted Trumpet.

This is a MUCH simpler solution than trying to use a softsynth. It also sounds MUCH more
authentic AND you can easily use it live!

Miking technique is important as well. I have thrown up all sorts of expensive mics in an attempt to lessen the "nasalyness " of the talkbox. So far the winner for me is the humble SM57 (which is convenient seeing as I do this live as well as in the studio ).

Also, a decent dose of proximity effect does no harm when miking a talkbox so it's good IME to practically eat the mic while playing. This however means a pop shield is pretty much demanded. I find it impractical to use studio style pop shields, and live that would just look daft, so I've been using the "Afro" style ones which seem plenty good enough.

Cheers......CL :oops:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

ok, if i just want to use a talkbox and microphone with my PC and record the sound, whats the easiest solution.

My current soundcard is just a standard crap one, with 1 Speaker Output - which is currently connected to some small PC speakers.

From what i understand to connect a talkbox to be used in conjunction with VST synth.

It will be this:

PC Soundcard Speaker Output -> Cable Into Talkbox Input -> Talkbox Tube In Mouth

But i will then need a good Microphone to connect to my PC, preferably a good Mic.
And also i still need a second output for the PC speakers so i can hear the Mic Sound.

Since my only soundcard speaker output is being used by the talkbox, whats the easiest option to get a second output?

What if use M-Audio's Pre Mobile USB with my existing soundcard.

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/ ... -main.html

The mobile pre usb has a 1/8 Stereo line out on it,and 2 Mic inputs too.

so in theory, could this be used?
I basically use the 1/8 stereo line out on the Mobile pre USB for my speakers so I can hear what is coming out of the Mic while i speak,
and use the Mic Input on the Mobile Pre USB to record into the PC.

So its basically this setup which im thinking may work.

1.)VST synth ->PC Soundcard Speaker Output -> Cable Into Talkbox Input -> Talkbox Tube In Mouth
2.)Mobile Pre USB connected to PC -> PC Speaker connected to Line Out of Mobile pre USB ->Microphone connected to Mobile pre USB-> Speak In microphone with talkbox tube in mouth -> Sound is recorded into PC.

Do you think I would be able to do it this way? being cheap and cost effective.

forgetting the flanger, This is just for talkbox purpose only. What do you reckon?

I've had a setup with two simple/cheap soundblaster cards to do simular things, but that did not involve midi tracks. If you use two cards at the same time there's no guarantee on flawless operation. With a proper multi-out card you do.
musicman wrote:I basically use the 1/8 stereo line out on the Mobile pre USB for my speakers so I can hear what is coming out of the Mic while i speak
Better keep the speakers connected how they are (internal sound card) and feed the output of the Mobile into your effects.

And why not cater for the MXR flanger at the same time? Since you're going to invest some money, better do it right! How much did you (or are you going to) spend to get it? And you can't even connect it??

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”