FR theme: MIDI functions

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[title changed ... DarkStar]

Perhaps my most awaited part of eXT2 is yet to be implemented ; v1 already had a tremendous amount of power with the arps, chords, midi patchers etc one could really build complex setups in the main view.
As much as i like some of the midi plugins released by soma, nicfit and ndc, i can only hope that Jorgen is willing to go much further with this.
What would you like to see added or improved ?

*Every single parameter should be tweakable through automation and midi mapping ! And having switchable presets would really help too.

*Arp :
.Triplets and dotted rythms for the speed param.
.A mode where the velocity is scaled from the inputed notes, as opposed to being fixed by the sequence.
.An hold mode that really holds ;).
.An 'order' param that shifts the sequence around (ABCD>BCDA>CDAB... or ABCD>DABC>CDAB..).
.Options for retriggering the sequence either on note input, after a certain number of beats, or time synced (see Live's Arp).
.Shuffle with selectable Q (like with midi/drum tracks).
.A separate control for fine tuning of the gate length (again compress/expand).
.It would be utter powerful if it had separate controls over the transposing of the sequence, like a traditionnal arp but over the user defined pattern ; one'd be able to select a rate, a transpose range, and a number of transpose (see Live's Arp).

*Chords :
.Mod keys or param for triggering the different inversions of a chord (like in nicfict's chords plugin)
.Vel scaling for the different notes

*Scale module :
.A single octave display where you pick the individual notes, with different remapping modes :
Up, down, nearest, block (only pass the note if it's in the defined scale).
.Vel and key input filtering.
.Would be the absolute dog's bollocks if a scale module could be set as 'master' for a track, and grey out all the out-of-scale notes in the piano roll displays.

*Groove, i can't really see any improvements feature-wise, i really dig it ; if we were able to automate the Q modes and all that it would be perfect AFAICT...
A midi to groove function would be killer though.
But i believe that seperate modules with more features for gate and velocity are needed.

*Velocity :
.Add, substract, multiply (+/- so you can compress/expand), with min and max limits.
.Some curve remapping control would be cool too.
.Vel and key input filtering.
.Live's module basically has everything one could wish for :

*Gate :
.Free and synced modes; relative to original or fixed. As with the velocity modules, this should allow to also expand the note durations.
.A separate control to fine tune the gate length.
.Live also has a great gate fx:

*Delay :
Multi tap, with user defined number of taps. Useful params would be :
Time, Amp (relative or fixed), transpose, feedback.
Nicfit's delay is almost perfect, unfortunately it can't be automated at all :

*Pitch :
.Simple transpose function with input filtering (vel, key, channel).
.Separate semitone/octave controls.
.Live transpose : listen to a different input/channel and transpose the sequence according to these notes (relatively to a pivot note).
ex : with C3 as pivot, playing F3 on channel 2 transposes the sequence up 5 semitones, playing D2 transposes it down 10 semitones etc.
.Maybe a fine tune param too for detuning or pseudo microtonal stuff.

*A random module couldn't hurt, i'm not a big fan of such things, but can come in handy to humanize, or when experimenting.

*An all notes off fx, or put a small panic knob on every module that modifies notes (i HATE hung notes)

I'll be updating this post with your suggestions (well the cool ones ate least :lol: )

Cheers

I edited the thread-title - jens

a supa midi random note machine !!!!
adding/removing randomly notes (in a given rate & noterange), and doing all kind on unpredictable things.

a midi FSU efx
(well, just like Dbvlue Glitch, but with midi) : stuterring/slicing/repeating midi patterns !

Hmm well i was trying to keep my post realistic, cause you could obviously make a dblue glitch midi plugin with what i mentionned in my first thread (delay + gate etc)
Some kind of midi buffer would be great for that matter, i'd love to be able to make a midi version of lucifer :hihi:

disturb wrote:Hmm well i was trying to keep my post realistic, cause you could obviously make a dblue glitch midi plugin with what i mentionned in my first thread (delay + gate etc)
Some kind of midi buffer would be great for that matter, i'd love to be able to make a midi version of lucifer :hihi:
Well, about the midi randomizer, i was very serious & realistic : i intesely use the Ableton's one, and also i like the Uplandtoys ball seq (http://www.upland.no/software.html), but the first one is ableton only and the second one is not tempo(-synced.

About the FSU stuff, i am only half-not-serious. ;)
I doubt it can be here since the first release, but it is something i'd really like to see one of these days somewhere, and what i have in mind is quite far from a delay + a gate (a lot more closer than a slicer/buffer, relooping midi phrases on the fly, shortening them, making it stutter, etc)...

cheers

I believe we need to focus on more generic stuff for now.
Once we have decent tools with enough flexibility (through automation, interfacing with the seq etc) there will already be a sheer amount of possibilities for midi manipulation.
I hope buffer-like features will be available through the live mode, if not i'll keep harrassing Jorgen until he brings back a revamped version of the midi part comp that could be used as an object oriented midi module... :P

Hello, new eXT2 beta user here, so only a little experience and none with 1.4, but I really like what I see so far, beautiful clean looks, useful tools and intuitive controls, well done jorgen. I use FL7 as my main host and one of the things I think stands out is the piano roll toolset. If you don't know it, the tools I would like to see in eXT2 to tempt me into it more are;

- template based note chop/slice/cut
- template based groove/quantize

there are predefined templates and the user can create their own (score files, which are really midi patterns). when chop or quantize is selected, the template is used to define how the existing midi pattern is chopped / quantized, plus the user can adjust the sensitivity and the level (a bit like a wet/dry mix between original and template)

the chopper can be used to slice midi notes according to a template, so could be split into 16th notes or alternating note on/off or offbeat only, or uneven note lengths and spaces. Anything you can imagine and draw as a midi pattern

quantizer is explained here: http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/pianoroll_qnt.htm
chopper is here: http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/pianoroll_chp.htm
other piano roll tools are here: http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/pianoroll_menu.htm
strum, flip, scale and random are all also interesting tools

I prepared this to help explain in pictures, better than my words

the original 1 note midi pattern

from the chop menu, simply select a template for...

a rhythmic chopping pattern

a progression pattern

a chord pattern

an arp pattern

hi de la mancha, and welcome.
Indeed there are some great stuff in FL's piano roll, especially the groove templates, that i hope Jorgen is willing to expand on.
In eXT1 though, most of the midi funtionnalities took place in separate fx modules (hence my first post). The chords and arp comps allowed for an interactive expereince that i enjoyed a lot.
As much as i want to see those grow, there is indeed a lot of room for improvement directly in the piano roll ; there is a part of XT2 that hasn't been implemented yet, called the composer (a side panel of the midi part editor), and your resquest would fit quite well there :)

so here's to a big +1

+1 for de la mancha's suggestion. FL's midi helpers are really neat (I use the quantization templates, the chopper and the strummer a lot)

(waits for a composer panel teaser...)
:hihi:

I like everything in this thread.
I also liked the note flam option in FL.

Yeah - and the Composer in XT2 is meant to work on midi AND audio parts (and for all I know, drum track parts as well).

Actually I think I only just mentioned this somewhere in another thread.

The future's so bright I.... well you know how it goes.

Regards
Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.

I really hope that since we can map several parameters to the same CC, that one day we can create maps that are not linear. For example, have Res and Cutoff mapped to CC74; Res would be linear from 10%-80% while cutoff exponentially increasing from 0-100%.

Kyran wrote:+1 for de la mancha's suggestion. FL's midi helpers are really neat (I use the quantization templates, the chopper and the strummer a lot)
8) **downloading FL7 demo**
I'm better than you. Deal with it.

Can I add my midi synth idea from ages ago?

Click to view at 100%
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/charlie.jo ... ampler.png
Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 and Phrazor for Music | Blender for 3D

Return to “energyXT”