New entry level version of Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

vst limitation. that's sucks, simply. Limit the tracks, the inputs, the sends, whatever, but number of effects and vsts??? more expensive than p5, LESS features and STUPID limitations.

Suggested ad campaign catchphrase:

Live.
A little.

I think they stripped it a bit too far. The instrument/fx limitations are boarding to the ridiculous.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

and the regular users just pay 300€ just to unlock some features. That's really starnge. everything is here but totally limited in LE, you just have to pay 300€ to use the features as you want. In fact, the complete version didn't give you more features, it just give you the right to use them without limitation. that's the worse case I seen.

spaceman wrote:I think they stripped it a bit too far. The instrument/fx limitations are boarding to the ridiculous.
Indeed.

I can't justify the full-blown Live 6. But this is too stripped to motivate me to buy. I'll stick with P5V2, and I have Live 6 Lite if I feel like re-installing it.

Doug
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

I'm normally an Ableton fan, but the effects limitations are a very bad joke. I would recommend every budget sequencer I can think of (P5, Garageband, Sonar Home Studio, Tracktion, Reaper, etc.) over this.

i always hoped for a smaller live-version, but this is too small.
i wouldn't use it for producing so the instrument/fx limitations wouldn't be such a big problem for me, but the limitation to only 8 scenes and no midi(-clock) for external synths makes it nearly unusable, i think. :(

I find it strange the plugin/effects limitations aren't significantly higher than what you already get in the bundled Live Lite. I keep Live Lite around for testing and occasionally fiddling about with it, I'd have considered an upgrade to LE if they did something like limit the number of tracks (like a total 8 tracks, split between audio/MIDI as you like, or even limiting you to just the session view) but offered unlimited plugins/instruments/effects.
Last edited by shamann on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spaceman wrote:I think they stripped it a bit too far. The instrument/fx limitations are boarding to the ridiculous.
Well, it is a "light" version, so they've got to do something to get you to upgrade. But only 2 VSTi's per project is a serious limitation.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Good as a scratchpad, or for working in that 'loop' stylee that dont really need plugins, as quite a lot of people do.

For 1/3rd the price of Live, its a fairly decent entry-level offering, with the same kind of limitations as most company's entry-level gear. They could be a bit more generous, on plugin limits though. And reinstate ReWire.

If you wanted to up your plugin count, the usual subhost provisions (eXT et al) should be more than adequate.

Decent offering, IMO.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I rarely use more than a couple of vsts at a time. I tend to render stuff to audio as I go ... so this would work for me. Price is OK too IMHO

Anyway, I already bought the full version, and have an update to install :D

whyterabbyt wrote:Good as a scratchpad, or for working in that 'loop' stylee that dont really need plugins, as quite a lot of people do.

For 1/3rd the price of Live, its a fairly decent entry-level offering, with the same kind of limitations as most company's entry-level gear. They could be a bit more generous, on plugin limits though. And reinstate ReWire.

If you wanted to up your plugin count, the usual subhost provisions (eXT et al) should be more than adequate.

Decent offering, IMO.
not for that price though
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

buy Energy XT. you can use it in the VST modus to route tracks to and surpass the limitations. :D

Live 6 is a great tool, but a little pricey.

Well I think that for 149USD it's good value overall.

I do agree about the VST limitation, and even more serious in my opinion, leaving out rewire. With ReWire I imagine a lot of users of alternative hosts would grab it for it's looping capabilities, and rewire it into their main host. But they've now missed that potential market.

I get the overall impression that this is aimed as an alternative to Sequel, and I suspect/hope they go all out on the advertising into that noob market.

Again on the price, it's better imho than Acid Music Studio (which only allows 16-bit recording/audio) or Sequel (which has no plugin ability whatever). So at least a good offering from Ableton, and nice to see them recognise another layer of the market :cool:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”