Ableton Live + Rebirth

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all, I've been ghosting this site for years and I subscribe to the RSS but this is the first actual post!

Anyway, I hope someone can help.

Ableton Live 5 (PC) + Rebirth 2.01 + Akai MPD24.

Rewired in.

I've got the rewire happening great, but I can send the midi through! I've got 4 knobs on my MPD24 I want to route to stuff in rebirth, but I'm not pulling it off for some reason. I've got my mapped settings in Rebirth, but when I open it as a rewire track in ableton, it won't let me select my controller (the rebirth preferences). Is there a way to send midi through ableton, to Rebirth through rewire?

It HAS to go through ableton, into Rebirth I've decided. Otherwise there's no way I'll ever be able to automate and record a set. If I can't control Rebirth movements through ableton, to record this stuff I actually will have to hook up my computer to another system and record.

Hi DankusCDW.
Just wonted to say welcome the KVR!, I hope you find it as informative as I have :D

Sorry, not being familiar with Ableton Live or Rebirth I can't help you with your problem... but at least this will bump the thread :wink:
Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip!---Homer Simpson

For rewire routing in Ableton you need two tracks:
1) the MIDI track to send info into ReBirth
2) the audio track feeding ReBirth's output back into the Ableton mix.

In Session View on the mixer strips you then route the input and output options as required.

If you still have problems, post back. On my current system I never got around to installing ReBirth but I do keep meaning to. So i could test this out further if necessary.

Take a look in the help file - it shows you how to set up a rewire instrument and how to route everything.

It just doesn't work. Rebirth never shows up as an option in the "midi to" on the midi track. Oh, it shows up and works fine on the audio track, but it just doesn't ever populate that field in the midi track.

I opened Reason, and it can populate the "midi to" field. Just, not Rebirth.

mmmmmmmmmmm

I had another post in this thread, it was a quick thanks to headquest and a mention of how rewire reminds me of an old school hardware setup. He replied too. What happened to those posts?

Hey again!

I reinstalled ReBirth last night. Now we're talking "old skool"! Great fun though - a real classic :cool:

Anyway, I think maybe ReBirth doesn't receive external MIDI input, which would be the deal here. But I'll check it and get back shortly.

Okay, had a play and unfortunately the ReWire connection is a one way stream, as Rebirth has no MIDI input. (Checked with other hosts too, and confirmed). That's a pity because i kinda hoped it might be possible to use dummy clips in Live's Session View to trigger pattern changes in ReBirth, for example. But it's not possible.

Regarding remote controller mappings with your Akai, I think that the Ableton mappings are probably over-riding your ReBirth mappings. It's probably possible to change this and I'll investigate more.

Also it may be possible to use MIDI Yoke or Hubi's loopback utilities to help with some of this. It;s worth asking at the Ableton forum and/or the ReBirth community (which seems to still be alive and kicking!) to see what others have done here.

Thanks for all your help. The next thing I'm going to try is to patch a midi cable between my akaimpd24 and my mbox2 input, and select the mbox2 in Rebirths preferences...

Well let us know if that works. I hope it does, and suspect it might :wink:
Cheers.

Well, patching the midi cable from the mpd24 to the mbox2 didnt work. I guess you can send midi over the usb cable or over a midi cable, but not both.

But..... success! I patched the midi in and out together on the mbox2, selected midi output -> track ON--- in Abletons preferences, selected mbox 2 in Rebirth and Wha La! I can control rebirth from the same controller I'm using for Ableton, and I can record all of my automation in ableton's midi track...

YES! Thanks for the assistance headquest. :)
't

Excellent news. And thanks for sharing it - I'm sure others inthe future will search/find this thread and be helped too :cool:

Oh, and really glad I reinstalled ReBirth - having a blast with it, downloading all the mods, etc. It's a massive education in the principal of "less is more" - amazing how creative it is possible to be with just 2 303s, an 808 and a 909. Wow!

Agreed. Rebirth always sounded great- but when Reason came out I stopped using it because it was no longer the "latest and the greatest"

The funny thing is, back in 2000 when I was a Rebirth addict, it used to take up my whole screen. Now it's this little box, dwarfed by ableton.

You can control pattern changes etc. in rebirth from another daw using hubis loopback.
It's along time since i've attempted it though, one had to set up rebirth to accept input from a virtual port & then set your daw to transmit on that virtual port & then just check the rebirth documentation for which cc's etc. control what functions.

:lol: Yes, I'm having some difficulty reading the screen it's so small! Shows how times have changed so quickly. Great sound though, and there's some fantastic mods too.

I'm going to do some (more) stuff with ReBirth again, for sure. Dragging a few loops into Live may be easier and quicker, but rolling your own in ReBirth is more fun imho.

diverdee wrote:You can control pattern changes etc. in rebirth from another daw using hubis loopback.
It's along time since i've attempted it though, one had to set up rebirth to accept input from a virtual port & then set your daw to transmit on that virtual port & then just check the rebirth documentation for which cc's etc. control what functions.
Cheers for that diverdee. :D

I saw that loopback is availble to download (linked) from the ReBirth Museum site here:
http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/downloads/thirdparty.htm

There's some other potentially useful tools there too :cool:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”