Wagner Sharp VST - free tube guitar preamp by Nick Crow

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Danno wrote:I FULLY agree. I've never found an amp sim this good.

...even the GSuite (which is great), isn't this good.

But I AM on the hunt for two things.. some good Marshall cab impulses?

Also, I'd like to find something this good for more Fendery tones.

...although maybe some fender cab impulses after the RednefTwin would be good, any other suggestions?

D
Hey, what are you guys using to load the cab impulses in? MKII?

Is there any good free cab sim with IR support around?

Thanks.

Yeah, the Voxengo plugin. Free and Good.

...btw how do you disable any of the extra proccessing with the voxengo plugin?

Danno wrote:I'd like to find something this good for more Fendery tones.
I've been using Nick Crow's TubeDriver in front of StudioDevil BVC for Fendery tones - I turn the volume down on TubeDriver's output to clean up SD BVC (less input gain).

The other day I got turned on to using DFX Skidder as a tremolo. You can set a controlled amount of randomization for certain parameters and get it all brown face Fender bias tremolo sounding - so now I have that in between TubeDriver and StudioDevil BVC. Add some tweaked AriesVerb afterward and the Fendery vibes reach an almost scary level!! :-o

My signal chain actually gets quite a bit more complicated than that but it seems like I lose everybody after three or four plugins, and the ones I listed are the main ones.

jens wrote: Your own stuff is pretty good - do you have any plans to continue development? :-D

Pretty please? :oops:
Thanks for the compliment! Actually I've started working on it again a couple of days ago, but don't know yet when I will release sth. I'll certainly post about it when it's time.

A3ntar wrote:Hey, what are you guys using to load the cab impulses in? MKII?

I am using Perfect Space (which is actually Pristine Space Light) that came bundled with Sonar. For free stuff Kefir or Revolverb should do the trick.

A3ntar wrote:

Thanks.
you can also give a try to Kefir
http://habib.webhost.pl/
Peace
Dubadelica - Electronic music since 1996 http://www.dubadelica.com/about.php
Radio Rebelde - Modern roots reggae with an electronic twist https://radiorebeldereggae.bandcamp.com/

Nick, I can't use your plugin because I'm all about Mac AU, but so far I can't get anywhere NEAR as good as your amazing Wagner Sharp. It is pretty much the best I've heard in that style.

It is a free plugin- if I can't use it directly, can you tell me what you're doing to make it that good? Are you compressing, are you using some special signal flow? Where are you EQing?

jinxtigr wrote:can you tell me what you're doing to make it that good? Are you compressing, are you using some special signal flow? Where are you EQing?
SPICE modeling, Norman Koren's Improved Vacuum Tube Models
http://www.normankoren.com/Audio/Tubemo ... ticle.html
and 20 years tube equipment development experience.
Last edited by NickCrow on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i must say this plug is awesome. i am getting those nice high-gain sounds, deep and fat, better than any of the commercial plugs out there.

any chance of a mac version? :shock:

I have no opportunity to make a mac version yet.
Miracles do not happen.
http://nickcrowlab.blogspot.com/

NickCrow wrote:
jinxtigr wrote:can you tell me what you're doing to make it that good? Are you compressing, are you using some special signal flow? Where are you EQing?
SPICE modeling, Norman Koren's Improved Vacuum Tube Models
http://www.normankoren.com/Audio/Tubemo ... ticle.html
and 20 years tube equipment development experience.
NICE. Thanks a lot, that's just what I was looking to find out. Basically to get your sound, every single stage is highpassing, lowpassing, AND applying a very specific 'real-world' transfer function. I don't have to get a sound as realistic as yours (got my own thing going on) but I do need to use that more general concept in order to do certain types of guitar sound :)

Again with more thanks- it turned out that was exactly the concept I needed to try. What ended up happening was weird but cool. I have a new plugin coming out now inspired by Wagner Sharp, but it actually doesn't sound anything like it. I have my own transfer functions to use, which instead of having the color of triode tubes, they are set up to be as colorless as possible.

The result of that was, instead of sounding like a singing tube amp (that compresses heavily instead of grinding) it made guitars sound like singing NOTES without even an amp there. You could crank on lots of treble in the speaker simulation area and it wouldn't even matter, and it becomes extremely tough to get any 'grind' into the tone at all (fortunately I have some other plugs that can do that).

At low gain it's like jazz guitar liquid, at super high gain it's weirdly smooth like a strange hybrid between Wagner Sharp and a pure compressor.

I'm very psyched and have to recommend this approach to anyone making guitar plugs. Again, the whole thing is, for EVERY overdrive stage you have both highpassing and lowpassing, and no one overdrive stage does much by itself. Then your transfer function (overdrive algorithm) gives you not so much the color of the distortion, but the degree to which it compresses like a tube amp vs. having some grind to it.

Thank you Nick! And Wagner Sharp is simply phenomenal!

Lunch Money wrote:It's not an impedance mismatch, I can't afford a Hum Debugger, and it wouldn't likely work anyhow. You don't understand. This place is hell for EMI/RFI (it litters everything, including our landline phone), and there's no true ground-- and no, I'm not able to install my own ground to a cold water pipe and all that... we've been over this.... <grumble>. Y'know, I wish some of you smartasses could sit in here for a day. You'd understand. :lol:

for what its worth Greg- the hum debugger let me use single coils again... it reduces noise by about 50db in my set up. I *did* notice one artifact on bass guitar only, if it is a harmonic of the noise its volume is reduced somewhat, but its only on bass, and its only some of the time and it only affects 1 fret usually. All in all its probably the best noise reduction device I have tried.

_niko_ wrote:
jens wrote: Your own stuff is pretty good - do you have any plans to continue development? :-D

Pretty please? :oops:
Thanks for the compliment! Actually I've started working on it again a couple of days ago, but don't know yet when I will release sth. I'll certainly post about it when it's time.

:hyper:

Thanks for the answer. :-D
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I use Wagner Sharp a lot on Acidline Synths. Thanks a lot for making this freebie available.

I have an abused downloadable skin available for Wagner Sharp. Here's a preview...

http://wel-0.blogspot.com/

Return to “Effects”