Oatmeal 38-1 (hacky unison added)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. It's been rather a while (there are reasons for my long absence, but they're stupid so I'm not going into the details), but recently I finally sat down and did some of the things that most needed doing.

Hence: Oatmeal 38-1.

I don't know how many people still use or care about this thing, but here's a short list of changes:

- Multiple instances running on separate cores/CPUs should no longer produce garbled output.
- Per-voice saturation does not as easily cause annoyingly audible note-off clicks.
- A handful of useless new filter types and some minor internal changes.
- I was able to reproduce and then fix the Sonar bug, or at the very least one manifestation of it.
- The two filters can now be used in series as well as in parallel, and you can set the second filter's type individually. (37-6c: fixed a bug with this)
- Oatmeal now has unison. At present this affects only the two oscillators; filters and noise remain singular (although the filters are duplicated if necessary for stereo output). Still, it's a nice addition for doing silly things with relative oscillator phase and so forth.

Screenshot:

For those who don't know what it is, it's a fairly basic VA. Two oscillators (vaguely supporting hardsync and FM), one (optionally tuned) noise source, one filter (or two of the same in parallel), blah blah the screenshot probably tells you enough. It was disproportionately well-received back in the day, so some might still find it worth a try.
Last edited by Fuzzpilz on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Excellent, thanks a lot. I hope things are getting back to normal for you.

edit: and welcome back
Regards, Mike

First of all, Hello there!

Oatmeal's a bloody excellent synth in terms of its ease of use and all the features packed in. The update is a bloody big surprise! :D

If anything, there's still a handful of us (myself included) that care about this synth. There was a topic around here started by Glassback, which collated every skin and bank/preset in existence for Oatmeal, into one easy-to-extract package. (Which reminds me, is it still okay if I host such package on my webspace? If not I can take it down by your request.)

Anyway, it's nice to hear from the original brain behind this wonderful synth. :D

Thanks!

Fuzzpilz wrote:I don't know how many people still use or care about this thing
I believe Oatmeal has a healthy cult following, I certainly use it in pretty much every track i do.

Great to have an update, thanks for sorting the multicore bug.

Thanks,
.g

welcome back on action :)
:tu: thanx a bunch
Peace
Dubadelica - Electronic music since 1996 http://www.dubadelica.com/about.php
Radio Rebelde - Modern roots reggae with an electronic twist https://radiorebeldereggae.bandcamp.com/

Hello
Welcome back
and thank you for the update !
I don't know how many people still use or care about this thing
I do, too :)

I'd have some questions :
- Does the grymmjack skins still work with this new version ?
- Would it be possible to add the MaliceX's presets available into the default bank (instead having to load it each time) ?
- You call it "mediocre", i don't at all. But while Oatmeal excels into the pads and leads and textures department, the oscillators can sound a bit "thin" for heavy phat warm blurpy basses (to my tastes, at least). It is not really a problem as Oatmeal is quite unique so i always find a use for it, and i don't know how hard it would be to do or if you wish so, but do you plan to add any more "oomph" & bite to the low end (to make it sound more "thick") ?
Anyway, the vector pad, the routing matrix, the mighty arp, etc will always keep it far from mediocre and keep it on its pedestal ;)
THanks for Oatmeal.

Can you REMOVE the "random preset" button ? because of that there are TONS of banks for oatmeal but they are all CRAP, without exception.
- Would it be possible to add the MaliceX's presets available into the default bank (instead having to load it each time) ?
I prefer not, i don't want to hurt malicex but i really don't like his presets.

Thanks for the update. :) Oatmeal rocks!

dr.founkstai wrote: I prefer not, i don't want to hurt malicex but i really don't like his presets.
:o

have to disagree!

tease are not some old random button generated presets!!

but each to there own taste of course :)

Subz

& welcome back Fuzz :tu:

& thanks for the dual core support!

:)

Subz

Thanks for the great synth!
https://www.youtube.com/diminalbantov
You can always tell if someone used VST2 or VST3. VST2 sounds much warmer.

Welcome back!
KVR - the many headed beast.

dr.founkstai wrote:Can you REMOVE the "random preset" button ? because of that there are TONS of banks for oatmeal but they are all CRAP, without exception.
There's no need to shoot asking caps: "REMOVE" "TONS" "CRAP".
Simply don't play those banks you don't like and don't push that button.

But, please: enjoy Oatmel :o)

Thnx Fuzz

Nice, an update to one of my favourite and most oft-used synths. :D 8)

Have to disagree about the presets and the random button though. There are quite a few banks and presets and, imo, they're all worth having for different reasons. ;)

I for one would rather Ann's first bank as default. A lot more usable than my lot. I only made em for the fun of it so if you (don't) like it, good for you. ;)

dr.founkstai: Then you clearly haven't heard Ann's presets. (Best ones there is IMHO) Assuming all of the submitted Oatmeal banks are crap indicates your ignorance. (And no, this is nothing to do about my presets, I'm not a fan of them myself you know.)

Of course, out of curiosity what presets do you have that isn't "CRAP" in your opinion?

*ahem*

Towards that multicore fix, now I need another example for glitchy synths on multicores! :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”