Aggrotech vocals (feedback NOT an issue)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm have no audio hardware experience just minimal audio software experience. I'm looking for a vst combo that will let me sound like psyclon nine. I am not doing this live so feedback isnt an issue i can use all the distortion i want. I know i need distortion and a pitch shifter and perhaps some reverb. a specific setup would be appreciated. this is what i already have that i think is relevant, but i desperately want to get this effect so i'm willing to buy other stuff
Ohmicide
Ultrapitch (a six channel pitch shifter)
Shifterbank (a freebie i found)
standard cakewalk fxreverb
I'm a total n00b but i know my way around sonar. I would just need to know about setting in the vsts

thanks in advance for your help

the "secret" to psyclon nine, tactical sekt, suicide commando, older unter null, grendel, etc. is the Boss SE-50.

it's all patch 112 (pitchshifter)

4 additional voices to your dry take.
(in semitones) +1, -1, +2, -2 at about 60% to the 100% of your dry vocal.
pan them however you want, the only thing i can't seem to translate for plugins is the se-50's pitch mode which involves a delay in the pitchshifted sound latencywise. (basically quality setting.)

for Psyclon Nine you're looking at singing higher notes than you usually would,
obviously tactical sekt and suicide commando is doing it in a lower, gruffer sound.
that should be pretty much all you need on the settingswise to achieve the sound, now all you need to do is scream your nuts off like satan with an anger management problem.

happy stomping!

It appears they dont make this thing anymore. Is it safe to get this kind of thing used? or is there a newer model that does the same thing? also what additional equipment do i need to gook it in to my computer, as i just have the soundcard with 1/8 inch jacks and the jack with the red light. it also appears that there is a delay setting in my ultrapitch plugin, but its variable. up till now i've been doing completely wet maybe thats part of my problem.

Personally, I think a little distortion is a must.

Though don't go putting that stuff up at like 100 and calling it quits.
With good pitch-shifting/doubling and some wide chorus, distortion at 20 should be heaps.

Also, I don't really think there is any 'magick box' or 'ultimate setting' (though I haven't tried the SE-50 and I have heard Psyclon Nine use it). For me it's been a long hard road getting the right tone (and an even worse path is figuring it out live) and I'm still not there.

Good luck, and I'd love to hear some of your music.

Koe.

Personally, I think a little distortion is a must.

IMO, distortion isnt a Must, i mean i use it here and there but it isnt necessary. Its probably the most overused vocal effect, plus it tears up the clarity of the vocals. Ide say its mostly singing STLYE and....COMPRESSION!!!

check out my page,i too make industrial.... no distortion on vocals here!(ok maybe a lil):hihi:

myspace.com/sadistikfakter

Interesting stuff.. Keep it up!!

You can have a listen to some of my stuff here:
www.myspace.com/noirdusoleil

Call me silly but... Does compression really make that much of a difference to the sound apart from volume?

I mean I must use compression but only to bring the level back up and get it sounding nice and full.

Anyway, as you can tell with my music Aggrotech/Harsh EBM vocals don't play a huge part (I am very partial to my trad-goth reverb soaked vox) but when they are there I think a touch of distortion really gives them that harshness/punch that they need.

Call me silly but... Does compression really make that much of a difference to the sound apart from volume?
Well i myself am fairly new at this, but from my personal experience it can make a different( a REAL difference) if you want it too... of course by over-compressing.

but i like your stuff man, keep your sound alive, i will add you...

~T

cool music guys! here mine Smile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=us er.viewprofile&friendID=90780198

cheers!
Bad-Ass Industrial tracks man, i like "Brainwashed to Kill"

mind if i ask what you use for vox?

Im adding your page as well to the SADISTIKFAKTER PROD.

Keep it Up!

~T

Really cool stuff, X-Protocol.

You just need a little more work (mixing, mastering) to get it sounding a bit more 'in-your-face'. Maybe thats not what you are going for though?

That being said, myspace streaming does tend to make your tracks sound a little more 'dull' I think.

That being said, myspace streaming does tend to make your tracks sound a little more 'dull' I think.

i agree...

DISTORTED_DRUM wrote: Bad-Ass Industrial tracks man, i like "Brainwashed to Kill"

mind if i ask what you use for vox?
of course. i solely use reason now but when i made brainwashed i think i used

this, http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2436.html

and this, http://www.kvraudio.com/get/757.html for distortion.

this, http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2387.html for delay.

this, http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1636.html for eq,

and this, http://www.kvraudio.com/get/880.html for compressor.

Right on man, i'll have to demo those

it's safe to pick up an se-50 used, i'd just replace the internal battery with a new one.
you want to have a preamp just to warm up the signal into it before you route it to the computer.

the reason why all the terror ebm isn't distortion and is pitchshifter instead,
is so you can pull it off live with no feedback.
look for live clips of suicide commando, grendel, and psyclon nine for examples of how it sounds. you just need a nice sets of balls to scream through it onstage.

and just to pull a wank:

http://www.myspace.com/processofelimination

2 of the tracks there are from the interbreeding compilations.
(availible through metropolis distro or al!ve/e-noxe in europe)

end of line is from vol. 7, the sleepers of telos is from vol. 8

binaryzero wrote:the reason why all the terror ebm isn't distortion and is pitchshifter instead,
is so you can pull it off live with no feedback.
look for live clips of suicide commando, grendel, and psyclon nine for examples of how it sounds. you just need a nice sets of balls to scream through it onstage.
Interesting you say that given Unter Null, Aesthetic Perfection, and others have given up on live vocal effects completely due to feedback issues. So some of them must be using distortion... You can clearly hear sometimes.

I know some of them use dryer effects for their live set up.

I'm always suprised how good Psyclon Nine seem to sound live. However, I've heard countless storys of them blowing speakers, and their gigs being hell for the sound engineers.

Also if feedback isn't an issue, as mentioned, I think the right type and ammount of distortion can sound really nice.

I guess it's all up to the individual artist and the effect you are going for on the particular track.

Return to “Sound Design”