Detroit Chords

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

can someone please tell me which typical chords are used in so called Detroit Techno (Carl Craig etc.)

Thanks a lot

Just basics, like major/minor, etc. But they're usually sampled and then transposed around to give them not not-quite-human feeling.

Myself? I like to tune my oscillators so that they form a chord, then just hit a single key to play it.

ones, flat 3rds, flat 7ths, minor sevenths, octaves, perfect 5ths, perfect 4ths, and such.... probably some octaves, ninths, 11ths and 13ths as well...

ckatrun411 wrote:ones, flat 3rds, flat 7ths, minor sevenths, octaves, perfect 5ths, perfect 4ths, and such.... probably some octaves, ninths, 11ths and 13ths as well...
Huh?

Could you draw a picture.....pleeeeease.....?

:D

Seriously...

ouch, massive typing. for an in depth explanation of this I suggest.... " music theory " by george thaddeus jones...

http://www.amazon.ca/HarperCollins-Coll ... 0064671682

ckatrun411 wrote:ones, flat 3rds, flat 7ths, minor sevenths, octaves, perfect 5ths, perfect 4ths, and such.... probably some octaves, ninths, 11ths and 13ths as well...
Those are chords in your head are they?
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

:troll: GAME ON! :troll:

scotch5010 wrote:Hi,

can someone please tell me which typical chords are used in so called Detroit Techno (Carl Craig etc.)

Thanks a lot
Mainly minor and particularly minor 7th chords. Sampled and played back as one finger chords, as napalmbob said, to give you a bunch of parallel minor chords.

napalmbob wrote::troll: GAME ON! :troll:
Hardly.

I remember when I was a 13 year old boy, I was stuck in slough for two weeks...

nuffink wrote:

Thanks a lot
Mainly minor and particularly minor 7th chords. Sampled and played back as one finger chords, as napalmbob said, to give you a bunch of parallel minor chords.
By parallel do you mean chords that move up/down chromatically yet maintain their intervals ? Have I understood that right ?

and any chance of a Detroit chords preset for Playa ;) ?

Nev
I span the genres, they call me the genre spanner.

Nev wrote:
nuffink wrote:

Thanks a lot
By parallel do you mean chords that move up/down chromatically yet maintain their intervals ? Have I understood that right ?

and any chance of a Detroit chords preset for Playa ;) ?

Nev
Exactly that, Nev. As for Playa, just set it to use all the minor 7ths (-7).
I still think that for authenticity you need to sample the chord and let your sampler repitch it.

Nev wrote:By parallel do you mean chords that move up/down chromatically yet maintain their intervals ? Have I understood that right ?
Yeah, I think so. This is because back in the eighties it was easier to play samples from your Akai and record to an 8-track.

Try this:
Record a piano playing a classic C-E-G chord. Now load it in a sample player (most software will let you play any sample across a keyboard). Now play a simple melody with this sample. So its still a C-E-G chord but you are now transposing the sample of a chord rather than playing an actual chord across the keyboard.

EDITED TO ADD QUOTE AS I WAS TRYING MY OWN ADVICE BEFORE I POSTED
Last edited by napalmbob on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDIT:ignore this

Return to “Music Theory”