Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Morgana.

MitchK1989
KVRAF

2605 posts since 2 Mar, 2006

Postby MitchK1989; Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:18 am Morgana.

I see Morgana is available for mac now.

I have no audio computer at the moment (stuck using a crappy dell my university makes the students rent while waiting for the new macbook pro to arrive after selling my iMac)... Does anyone have any audio examples or demo songs? I really like the lo-fi sampler sound but can't try out the plugin right now. Does it include a fair number of samples/sounds, or do you have to sample in all of your own?

Is this virtual vintage sampler good? How do you use it?
djex
KVRist

175 posts since 28 Feb, 2003

Postby djex; Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:37 am

There's a number of demo songs (most of which made with only Morgana) for download at http://112dB.com/?pid=morgana&page=demo . It comes with a pretty diverse factory library of--currently, we're still expanding it every now and then--about 300 presets, all of which were recorded specifically for Morgana.

I won't comment on the quality of its sound since I'm obviously biased, but rest assured that there's a *lot* more going on under the hood than just bitcrushing. During the development stage we hooked up with a number of users of vintage hardware samplers, and didn't stop until Morgana was judged to be able to hold its own. Among others it has a custom 4 -pole OTA-modeled filter, non-destructive modeling of an analog preamp stage (including a Mic input for overdrive), and vintage (read: primitive) microprocessor emulation including modulator quantizing and digital crosstalk.

One area we paid specific attention to was immediacy of use and, unlike most other soft"samplers" the ability to actually *sample*. One reason this is not straightforward is that many popular hosts don't allow audio inputs to a VSTi. So we came up with a companion technology called SampLink to achieve streaming between different tracks in a host environment or even across different applications. What this means in practice is that Morgana running in Cubase can directly sample from a track in Ableton Live, for example. You simply insert a SampLink plugin on the Live track, and it will show up in Morgana running in Cubase. Click Record and voila, you're sampling! :)

Ciao & feel free to ask if you have any other qns,

-- dj!

edit: URLs and periods don't mix
Last edited by djex on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MitchK1989
KVRAF

Postby MitchK1989; Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:41 am

your link to demo songs seems to be broken...

But I found them anyway.
This idea greatly interests me... Is it easy/possible to set up drum kits in morgana? Different samples on different keys?

EDIT: Those demo songs sound kickass! I will be downloading the demo of Morgana as soon as my new macbook pro shows up...
MitchK1989
KVRAF

Postby MitchK1989; Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:24 am

one more thing... Any chance of morgana working with AIFF files as well as .wav? Being a logic user, that's the format of choice for cutting up and sampling bits of my own guitar playing, etc.
djex
KVRist

175 posts since 28 Feb, 2003

Postby djex; Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:26 am

Oops yes, that period shdn't have been part of the URL... corrected now.

Morgana allows for an unlimited number of zones--that is, samples mapped to keys or keyranges--, so even though it's not a specific drum sampler setting up drum kit is pretty much straightforward.

Good to hear you enjoyed the demo songs! The majority of those were done by our testers and the fun they had making them definitely shows.

-- dj!

edit: Yes, Morgana imports WAV, AIFF, REX (Recycle), WavPack, and a couple of more exotic formats so you shd be set.
shamann
KVRAF

12246 posts since 18 Aug, 2003

Postby shamann; Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 am

MitchK1989 wrote:This idea greatly interests me... Is it easy/possible to set up drum kits in morgana? Different samples on different keys?

Yes. I've posted a simple drumkit (made from samples of the Cheetah Specdrum) on the 112db forum:

http://112db.com/forum/index.php/topic,251.0.html
pekadan
KVRian

1185 posts since 6 Nov, 2002, from where moose mate, mate

Postby pekadan; Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:11 am

I'm crazy about Morgana! When I first read about this VSTi a while back, I thought the idea sounded cool, but I really didn't think I'd find it useful myself. Still, I tried the demo and was sold!

What I did when trying the demo was simply to load a sample, perform some quick zone editing, then play around with the preamp, the VCA and VCF envelopes and add some modulation, and... wow! :o You just have to try this yourself. I experimented with all kinds of samples (keys, pads, drums, etc) and most of the time I got great and very useful results!

I have shitloads of boring samples on the hard drive that I've collected over the years. It's not until now with Morgana that I'm actually getting good use for them! :D

Oh, the presets. Didn't really check them out yet. Been too busy creating my own patches.

I find Morgana to be the perfect complement to the synths and ordinary samplers I already have. This baby has character and is really easy to work with!

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments