No CPU load on idle channel is fantastic

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wanted to post this comment for a while now...here it is. I find that the feature by which the CPU load of the Dynamics plug-in (and I believe all BCA plugins) decreases to zero when the inputs are idle is just great.

This simplifies quite a bit the CPU management strategy in a live setup whereby I do not have to worry about shutting down this particular effect when it is not being used (i.e. the audio input has been routed somewhere else, has stopped or is being muted).

I can also imagine the advantage for a reverb/delay kind of effect where you can let it die out slowly by itself (finishing its tail naturally) without having to worry about cutting it short, with the additional problems of fading control, etc...

After using it for a while it becomes so natural that I wondered if all effects are like this...I tested a few others and no way, there does not seem to be many out there with that particular feature.

Very nice touch.

Thanks :). It's indeed very useful, and not only in a live context (as soon as you use many tracks in a sequencer you cannot afford spending CPU on silence). It's a feature that was requested a long time ago by several customers. Maybe we should promote it a little bit more...

Today the implementation we have would also work with a reverb: as you may have noticed, the processing does not stop as soon as silence is detected but when the envelopes reach an acceptable level and when all meters show a value inferior to -60 dB.

Btw, do you mind if your post is quoted on the website?

Btw, do you mind if your post is quoted on the website?
Not at all, feel free to use my comment as you like. I am very happy with the product and I would think other people would be interested in it just for that feature alone.

You may also want to list it as a spec in the "Blue Cat Audio Standards" section of each plugin in your web site. I think the first time I came across a mention of it was in this forum somewhere...

Thanks, it's now online on the Blue Cat's Dynamics page, and the feature has been added to the BCA standards list (I don't know why it was not listed before).

Thanks again for the comment.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”