Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

FR - XT2: Stereo v. Mono audio signals

dburgan
KVRian

993 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby dburgan; Sun May 25, 2008 11:36 am FR - XT2: Stereo v. Mono audio signals

Well, I sat down this afternoon with the intention of seeing if the new XT2 beta is usable enough now for me to consider switching to it from XT1. Unfortunately I hit a show-stopper almost immediately.

Here's the issue. There seems to be no way in XT2 to tell a given component whether it should combine its input audio channels into stereo channels or to leave them as separate mono channels. In XT1 this was as easy as rightclicking the component and choosing the "Inputs and Outputs" menu item. In XT2 I cannot find this functionality anywhere (did I miss it?).

For example, consider this screen shot:

As you can see I have a component called LiveMixer8, which is a dumb simple 8-stereo-channel line mixer. For whatever reason, XT2 decided to make all the input pins be mono audio signals (there are 16 of them, two for each stereo channel). Also for whatever reason, XT2 decided to make the output pins be stereo audio channels (this mixer has two stereo buses). As odd as it is that it chose mono for the input and stereo for the output , it doesn't really matter to me why XT2 decided to make the pins this way (XT1 behaves the same way). What's important is that, unlike XT1, I have no way to group the input pins to be stereo pins, or likewise to separate stereo pins to be mono.

As you can see, I have Cameleon5000 routed into the L channel of channel 1 on the mixer. How do I get the audio to the R channel? I can't just send the same signal to the R channel; if I did that, all I've accomplished is dual-mono, not stereo. It appears there is no way to use this mixer VST and preserve my stereo signal.

So my question is: how can I tell XT2 to group the input pins into stereo and/or split the output pins to be mono? Where is the "Inputs and Outputs" menu item that was so useful in XT1?

Thus endeth my experiments for today. I can't get past this issue, because I absolutely must have control over whether my signals are mono or stereo. Unless there is a feature I missed in XT2 somewhere that does this, I can't use this beta of XT2. Back to XT1 I go ....
insertpizhere
KVRAF

2237 posts since 11 Nov, 2002, from swordfish

Postby insertpizhere; Sun May 25, 2008 11:58 am

i believe the inputs are mono due to a limitation of synthedit (you can set the outputs to be stereo pairs, but not the inputs).

unfortunately the "inputs and outputs" feature isn't in XT2 (yet?). i made a small vst to get around it: http://thepiz.org/xt/link.zip. of course it's nowhere near as convenient. i would definitely like to have that feature back in XT2.
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995
dburgan
KVRian

Postby dburgan; Sun May 25, 2008 12:28 pm

insertpizhere wrote:i believe the inputs are mono due to a limitation of synthedit (you can set the outputs to be stereo pairs, but not the inputs).

unfortunately the "inputs and outputs" feature isn't in XT2 (yet?). i made a small vst to get around it: http://thepiz.org/xt/link.zip. of course it's nowhere near as convenient. i would definitely like to have that feature back in XT2.

Yeah like I said, it's weird that the inputs are mono (I figured it was a Synthedit thing) but I can work around that as long as I'm able to group the mono inputs into stereo inputs, like I can in XT1.

This really is basic functionality that must be in XT2 at some point. Not only because some VSTs have mono input pins, but because sometimes I actually need to break a stereo pin into its component mono pins, for example when using certain old VST vocoders where the carrier was on the L in and the modulator on the R in. Sometimes also I will want to process the L output of a VST differently from the R output. Likewise sometimes I will force a stereo plugin down to mono (e.g. when doing realtime convolution) in order to save CPU.

Anyway, XT1 had a perfectly fine way of dealing with this. I hope Jorgen adds this to XT2 very very soon, because I simply cannot use XT2 without this functionality.
pHz
The Teach

8300 posts since 22 Jul, 2002, from flatness

Postby pHz; Sun May 25, 2008 12:36 pm

added to the FR list

slainte :D rob
dburgan
KVRian

Postby dburgan; Sun May 25, 2008 12:42 pm

pHz wrote:added to the FR list

slainte :D rob