Does any other VST sound as good as Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Architeuthis wrote:So people are agreeing that Sylenth1 is better than a Virus?
Only my new synth will be better than a Virus :D

I have to disagree with you. If you go through a lot of the amazing presets in Sylenth a lot of them don't even use both A & B... they only use A. Sylenth's oscillators and filters are what make it amazing.
ProductBE wrote:
MaxSynths wrote:So explain it like if you were talking to a child... We have a solo line to put into the mix, for example. Why if this solo part is played with Sylenth is so special? What makes Sylenth so special?
Because it is really two powerful synths in one, A&B, and each one of those A&B channels have layered, arps, and effects, that can be tuned/detuned, or synced in or out. Then you have the controls, so say Aftertouch can change the phase&LFO of synth A, while also changing the Freq&OSC of synth B, or whatever you like. I did some subtle stuff with ARP's A&B moving around each other, little bit of Velocity and it is intense, some After Touch it goes warped, lots of After touch it goes mental.

You can fake this stuff and do better, not hard to do, and once setup is easy to do again and again. Get a simple good free synth like miniMogue, one on track A, one on track B, add whatever pre midi effects you need, Arp's chords, etc. Then whatever post effects. I just learnt: You can even use midiconvert to map the aftertouch from the synth, if it doesn't have aftertouch settings, and send this singal to the post effects on the VSTi.

This to the best of my knowledge is what makes the sylenth good, no magic, just two powerful synth's in one, but the combining of them and effects is expontentially good. Lots will disagree, but sound is simple, waves, frequency, tone. It is like when someone takes a sound of a click and with a bunch of delays and effects it sounds like a elecrtic guitar, and only the best trained ear would know.

I had a friend working on Slayer that was tweaked to prefecton on a sensitive keyboard, he recorded a tune with it. And out of a bunch of talented muso's, pitch perfect and the like nobody spotted the fake guitar, saying it was brilliant, asking the name of the guy to do a session. I see it on the post's here, someone comments about level of the guitar on a mixdown, and the reply is that it isn't a guitar but a VSTi, and you see people getting wrapped up about this synth, this tone, the quaility of this. Too much talking about and not enough doing, do they think they will wake up one day and the perfect synth will be there ready to use, even if that happens their will always be something else, these people will always have an excuse.

Ask yourself what do you want to do? R&D the methods and workflow, conclude and aquire technology tools, create, enjoy and don't look back. Otherwise it will never happen.

I came to this site years ago, became member recently and is very helpful for somethings, but hard to avoid the idiots constantly talking the same rubbish about the same plugs, for years. I think about developing plugs but don't, why not, because I think of a great tool, google it and guess what, it already exists and is free. Just saved myself 3-6 months work.

Just get on with the creative stuff and less, dick swinging please.
Yes, and you have the added bonus of it being a native soft synth that's extremely CPU efficient so you can run many instances.
Last edited by djanthonyw on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:I have to disagree with you. If you go through a lot of the amazing presets in Sylenth a lot of them don't even use both A & B... they only use A. Sylenth's oscillators and filters are what make it amazing.
Can you record a basic waveform from Sylenth without effects and filter?

djanthonyw wrote:
Yes, and you have the added bonus of it being a native soft synth that's extremely CPU efficient so you can run many instances.
So it seems to me than there's no difference between digital hardware, DSP chips, and VSTs, it's all still 1s and 0s. If Sylenth1 can sound better than Virus, then all that hype coming from the new hardware digital synths like Blofeld, Virus Ti, Novation junk, Roland SH, etc... all of them talk about how amazing their analog modelling technology is.

Sylenth1 should prove it's all a buncha crap. Hardware means nothing. If Blofeld sounds great, if Novation stuff sounds great, it's not because they are hardware synths. The quality lies in the programming. If the quality lies in the programming, there's no point in developing or buying an expensive hardware digital synth. Digital hardware synths might as well be overpriced VSTs in a box.

This proves that if you're going to buy a hardware synth you better spend that money on true analog unless you are dieing to have the specific sound of an analog-modelling hardware.

MaxSynths wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:I have to disagree with you. If you go through a lot of the amazing presets in Sylenth a lot of them don't even use both A & B... they only use A. Sylenth's oscillators and filters are what make it amazing.
Can you record a basic waveform from Sylenth without effects and filter?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hflfl0

Architeuthis wrote:So it seems to me than there's no difference between digital hardware, DSP chips, and VSTs, it's all still 1s and 0s. If Sylenth1 can sound better than Virus, then all that hype coming from the new hardware digital synths like Blofeld, Virus Ti, Novation junk, Roland SH, etc... all of them talk about how amazing their analog modelling technology is.

Sylenth1 should prove it's all a buncha crap. Hardware means nothing. If Blofeld sounds great, if Novation stuff sounds great, it's not because they are hardware synths. The quality lies in the programming. If the quality lies in the programming, there's no point in developing or buying an expensive hardware digital synth. Digital hardware synths might as well be overpriced VSTs in a box.

This proves that if you're going to buy a hardware synth you better spend that money on true analog unless you are dieing to have the specific sound of an analog-modelling hardware.
Well, I wouldn't say it's 'crap', because I think a lot of software synths still don't compete with hardware (VA's), but there are the true gems that do compete and then exceed them. Some of the ones that I think do would be Sylenth of course, Massive, z3ta, and Helix.

I personally find Sylenth to be very warm sounding, more so than the Virus and Nord Lead since I had both of those synths. I've been looking for a synth like Sylenth for a long time and I'm very happy that I ended up finding. It's definitely the kind of synth you have FUN using.

When Lennard releases it in AU format I think I'll be in heaven. :)

The algorithms in hardware are not better then in the top plugins. If I compare the sound of my Virus or Nordlead with Sylenth1, I prefer Sylenth1!
Hardware has some other benefits, e.g. if you are on stage or for the feel of the surface.

Without doubt, Sylenth1 is a top synth for deep and warm sounds. But its not the only good synth and many people prefer others like Zebra oder Albino. In a CM competition the users preferred the Zebra from U-He...

every synth can sound good if you know what you're doing.

4damind wrote:In a CM competition the users preferred the Zebra from U-He...
But in the CM magazine review, Sylenth got 10 out of 10 points plus it won both awards, really the maximum score CM editors can give :) I think that Zebra won the user competition because Zebra is much more known AND was available for the Mac by then. Besides, it seems Lennard is not actively marketing Sylenth1, something I would have done differently for sure (maybe even something as simple as buying banner space on a site like this or ads in magazines, I haven't come across any for Sylenth1), but I think that might be the difficult aspect for a 1 man company.

Q: Does any other VST sound as good as Sylenth?
A: Korg's Mono/Poly, Polysix and MS-20 VSTi's sound better than Sylenth and any other virtual analog software synth.

sylenth 2?

synth1

I find I prefer Zebra, Surge, impOSCar, Minimonsta, Oddity, Symptohm, and Massive to Sylenth.

Mostly Surge, which in truth I prefer to almost anything.

Certainly not I. I have both Sylenth and a Virus C. I prefer the Virus C, especially the bass end. I was having issues getting the bass sounds, even with tweaking, to get them to punch through the low end of a heavy Sylenth mix. Now if I pulled up the Virus, or even my Roland Fantom with the Supreme Dance SRX card, the bass would punch the the mix without issue. I do love Sylenth, it is awesome, but the Virus still has a better bottom end. :shrug:

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

I guess it just depends what you're after doesn't it? Try create a deep bell pad with Sylenth and you'll see where it falls short. I just did this with Zebralette today, 1 osc, and boy did it sound amazing! Similar with complex textures and pads, where wavetables, waveform variety, hard sync, different noise types, fm, dreamy reverbs and pwm play a big big role.

But then, a raw sawtooth running through a filter sounds insanely good on Sylenth. And when it comes to Phasers, I truly have heard nothing that sounds as good as Sylenth. The distortions are also very very good as are the filters and oscillators.

The other synth that I really thought sounded nice for simple VA stuff was Poizone (or whatever it's called) sold by the FL studio guys. A really simple synth but once again a really big and awesome sound.

Thor covers all this ground very nicely, but if I didn't own it, I would most likely grab Sylenth1 + Zebra2, probably the best combo out there and very low CPU ;)

Cheers
Fots

Return to “Instruments”