Korg Electribe EMX vs ESX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone. I am currently looking to buy either a Korg Electribe EMX or an ESK. I've seen videos of both of them and they both sounds awesome but... what is the difference between the two? I have been searching and nothing really clearly says what the difference is between them. Does anyone have both of these? Or one of them? Reccomendations? Thank you very much

I have been searching and nothing really clearly says what the difference is between them.
Oh cmon, I have the ESX and there is TONS of information out there.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov03/a ... rgemx1.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar04/a ... rgesx1.htm

Wrong forum too.

Well yes, I obviously found stuff out about them. I've been reading more and I found out that the ESX is a sampler and the EMX is a synthesizer. But I'm just so confused here. Like... I'm not incredibly sure what a sampler is even for. I'm more used to software stuff and I know how to use different software samplers, but they are different than hardware ones. Does the ESX still have synthesis on it? I just don't know which one I should buy. This is a very tough call

Thanks for the links. I bought an ESX a few months ago and did not know where to find info. Korg does not have much at all.

I like the esx alot though. Great effects and the valve force is killer. Great all around unit.

To the poster, ESX is a real sampler. It does not just play samples it allows you to capture audio by recording it into ESX and you can process slice and do as you like sequencing it.
A hardware sampler is quite a bit different than a soft-sampler. Most soft-samplers do not actually sample.

The esx is also a basic monophonic synth.

Thanks Triple P! I think I'll just end up getting both of them... It's too hard of a decision for me to make. Would you say the learning curve is steep?

I suppose it is not the most user friendly but it is not very tough to get the hang of it. I love it.

emx 5 synth parts no sampler 5 synths plus pcm
esx all sampler, just 2 melodic parts

basically that's it

@Muzik 4 Machines, would you reccomend buying both of them? Or do you think just one of them would be ideal? I basically just need drums and synth sequencing, but the sampling would be a bit interesting I suppose... can you put one sound in it, and make it lower/higher pitched and all that good stuff? Thanks man

residentevilrulz wrote:@Muzik 4 Machines, would you reccomend buying both of them? Or do you think just one of them would be ideal? I basically just need drums and synth sequencing, but the sampling would be a bit interesting I suppose... can you put one sound in it, and make it lower/higher pitched and all that good stuff? Thanks man
You can process your samples to your hearts content. I love the processing on the ESX. Hey why not get a better synth from Korg? They have keyboard synths just as cheap and cheaper.

i didnt say one or the other, if 2 monophonic tracks are enough for you, the esx would be ok, but if you need more, then the emx is the one
if I had money i'd have both

hmm.... well I guess... could you listen to the my band? It's the myspace link under my posts. I think maybe if you heard some of the songs we do, you could better judge which one would be good for me. 2 Monophonic tracks sounds alright though.

i like the esx cause i can use vocals vith it, so if you need other things than drums and mono synth (like vocals, chords, etc) go with the esx

I have EMX. I bought EMX because I wanted "ready to go" drum machine with good drumsets. I had KORG-ES (drumsampler without tube) earlier but I noticed that I was too lazy to transfer samples to it (exspecially when old ES did not accept 44khz samples).

I bought EMX mainly because it is fun :) I actually dont know if I ever gonna use it to do actual music but always when I turn it on, I enjoy myself and dont regret that I bought it.

Tube is what makes all difference in both ESX and EMX, it really turns the kick on. I have not found vst effect which would sound same. However, if you use tube with drumparts and synthparts together, the sound is mainly distorted. This is actually what makes synthparts in EMX useless because you propably use tube and then it is better to not use the synthparts at all. Well, just my opinion as I have just fooled around with this. :)

I have other synths so I bought this mainly because of drumparts (and I got it cheap, could not resist).

Well, that said, I would also buy also ESX if I found one with reasonable cost. However, even better would be new version from ESX with USB support to transfer samples to it.

[quote="Muzik 4 Machines"]emx 5 synth parts no sampler 5 synths plus pcm
esx all sampler, just 2 melodic parts

basically that's it[/quote]

Hey, so you seem to know a bit about these. I am a bit confused about the claims of xx number of synth parts / drum parts etc. What are pcm parts?

I like the EMX demos I have seen on youtube but I want to insert samples into the mix. If I have 100 samples of people saying one sentence, then how many of those samples can I access at any one time with the ESX? I have seen demos of people tweaking the knobs on the EMX and getting heaps of cool variation, but I understand that the ESX has less manipulation capabilities - how much less? What I want to do is create nice grooves to be played and tweaked in a live setting with the ability to add the voice samples over the top as much as I want. Can the ESX do this? Are the beat sequencing aspects the same on both machines? Why would I also need the EMX?

Excuse my ignorance, but all the shops in Australia who sell these things don't actually know how to use them!!!!

Return to “Instruments”