Why is there no Roland JD-800 VST emulation ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wish someone would go ahead and make a JD-800 VST already.And if it's to hard to do or something a Roland JD-800 sampled VST will do for me.But I would be a little pissed if Arturia did it,I mean there good but I can barely tell the minimoog V and the CS80 V apart. :)

Hi Mr Blac

I'm not entirely sure why an emulation of this would be necessary or even possible. The JD 800 was essentially a D-50 with knobs. Roland won't release or license the samples so that snookers any real attempt to clone.

In realith apart from the quality of the sound from the hardware almost any modern VST can cover most of the same ground esp if you are willing to process a bit noisy/grainy.

:)

The Arturia MiniMoog and the CS80v sounding the same now that's quite a stretch. I can see the MiniMoog and the ARP2600 sounding similar as they use the same filters though. As far as a JD-800 Emulation there isn't any that I know of or have ever seen. The JD-800 is built on the same rom as the Roland D50.

Probably because Roland owns the copyrights to those sounds/rom waveforms (as well as all their other ones) and unless the developer wants to fork out a huge amount of cash for a licensing agreement, you won't see a dedicated emulation.

You might find some of the waveforms sampled for Wusikstation or something like that if you search hard enough, though. :wink:

There where a JD800 emulation for Reaktor but I don't know if the developer got a C&D for doing it.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

There's one for Scope, as well. Eric Persing is the one responsible for making the JD800 so great so check out Omnisphere.

I remember asking for this a looong time ago. Since i didn't find a good substitute i decided NOT to sell my JD-800. :D

Re JD-800: Well, the ROM is based on the D50, but it's bigger and better. Architecturally the synth is more like the JV series, and it can use JV series wave ROM cards.

to clatify this: the jd800 has absoluteley nothing to do with the d50, exept it has some presets of the d50 as basic samples, which other roland romplers (like the jv880) had, too ... the jd 800 is a basic, 4-tone-makes-one-patch-typical-roland synth ... the onlything that makes it a bit different is the interface and the fact that it misses the structure-combination that roland used from then on in a lot of their synths ...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Uncle E wrote:There's one for Scope, as well. Eric Persing is the one responsible for making the JD800 so great so check out Omnisphere.
Which synth would that be? The name of it?

It's an old Modular ensemble with the original sample ROM:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... t=Jaded800

aMUSEd wrote:It's an old Modular ensemble with the original sample ROM:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... t=Jaded800
Thanks aMUSEd! Couldn't find the file over there though.

Oh dear - well that's a 2002 thread (the links did work in 2002 lol) - possibly you'll need to dig around then on the site or at a pinch PM Ben Walker who made it (he's Planet Z mod so should respond)

I had the JD 800 in the past. I do not miss it at all.

The S700 samplers series sounded much better, and the Waldorf Microwave too. I have decided to sell it then. The design was beautifull, but the sound did not suffer the comparison with "real" instruments.
Electro-symphonic poems on www.hervenoury.com.

I also loved the jv-1080 from the roland series! I had many expension cards for it too. Though the jd 800 will always be 'special' because it was my first and it played a part in all my best selling tracks back then.

Return to “Instruments”