KnobMan/SkinMan Examples

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've become concerned that I'm spamming the KnobMan thread too much and that perhaps bug reports and suggestions are getting lost in the mix. So I thought I'd start a new thread where we can post KnobMan and SkinMan examples seperate from the KnobMan thread. That way g200kg can have an ongoing dialog with users without the noise of me posting my latest knob or screw... erm. :)

Anyway, so to kick things off, I've been trying to render a switch based on one I found at Radio Shack's website:

Radio Shack Switch

Here's what I've come up with:

(I'm ignoring the round base in the Radio Shack version)

Radio Shack Switch

The problem is that I don't know if I've captured the look of the switch going back and forth. I'm moving the upper layer circle, but I don't know if that's the right approach.

P.S For some reason the links aren't loading right now. My server must be having a slow day. The links are legit, though, so maybe try back later.
Last edited by Leslie Sanford on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

good idea, nice to have all ppls ideas/work in one place ;)

my logic inspired knobs are here

http://www.scuzzphut.com/scuzzphut-logic-knobs.zip

and an Ableton style one is here

http://www.scuzzphut.com/scuzzphut-abletonish.knob

fascinating how good you coders are at design when you get a PROPER IDE :)

seriously, when you consider the way knobman works, it's perfect for coders. you think about it analytically, disect the controls into their component layers, and bam. instant coolness.

i'm still stuck using photoshop and knob renderer but i've half a mind to try using knobman soon. you guys have done some pretty incredible and amazing things with it for sure, and the accuracy is dead on. one of the hardest bits of photoshoping knobs is the finnicky workflow and the goofy rotation boundary hacks.

what does skinman do that knobman doesn't btw?

grymmjack wrote:what does skinman do that knobman doesn't btw?
SkinMan is more for creating the UI background. Check this out:

SkinMan Demo 1
SkinMan Demo 2

I made a button.

Red Button

I've been trying to nail down the look of a button being pressed. I think I've found the answer. It has to do with using the edge highlight. Also, I use the frame mask for switching back and forth between the non-pressed/pressed look. Only the red part of the button can be pressed. I think it helps to have a border around the pressable part of the button to give it context.

EDIT: A couple more buttons. Maybe the trick is to not use very much of the edge highlight for the pressed look.

Blue Button

Gray Button

Up Button

EDIT: Added an LED button. It has four images:

1) On/Not pressed (Left Mouse Button Up)
2) On/Pressed (Left Mouse Button Down)
3) Off/Not pressed (Left Mouse Button Up)
4) Off/Pressed (Left Mouse Button Down

LED Button
Last edited by Leslie Sanford on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

some old stuff i made, just knobs, cant remember how many, quite a few tho.

noob stuff really. :oops:

EDIT: the link :hihi:

http://www.box.net/shared/rikzamiljm
Last edited by Kriminal on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ive only got a vague idea of what knobman and skinman do, so correct m if i'm wrong, but wouldn't Knobhead and Skinhead have been better names? :lol:

Kriminal wrote:some old stuff i made, just knobs, cant remember how many, quite a few tho.
You forgot the link, dude!
noob stuff really. :oops:
I've seen your stuff. Not noob at all, IMO. There's quite a few knobs in there that had me going, "I would have never thought of that!" :)

sorry, link up now :oops:

Leslie - the buttons are nice.

I think the two gray ones work better than the red and blue. The red and blue just don't have enough difference between off and on. A user wouldn't be able to tell their state at a glance.

I understand that that's how real life buttons are sometimes :-) and it does look realistic - maybe just not user-friendly.

PS - Good idea to start another thread. Hopefully everyone will pitch in :tu:

Leslie, red and blue have same link :wink:

Kriminal wrote:Leslie, red and blue have same link :wink:
Thanks! :oops: Link corrected.

scuzzphut wrote:Leslie - the buttons are nice.

I think the two gray ones work better than the red and blue. The red and blue just don't have enough difference between off and on. A user wouldn't be able to tell their state at a glance.
For buttons that have two states, I'd probably go with an LED button with the LED lit up for "On" and darkened for "Off."

Here with these buttons I'm just trying to capture the look of a button being clicked. In other words, the pressed look is only glimpsed briefly when you click on the button. Load up the knob files in KnobMan and switch to Test view. Then click on the slider repeatedly to get a sense of what I'm mean.

It's kinda like standard Window buttons. They give you that slightly pressed view very briefly when you click on them. That's what I'm aiming for.

Hi, Leslie
You're doing good, congratulations !

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”