Overloud TH1 Guitar System released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks simon - was unsure if I needed to get rid of anything other than the component file.

And read about the PACE part before. Thanks.

I will keep watching the program in any case - will see what happens when I have a little more money!

Thanks,
VInay

Guys,
Great discussion. I am curious as to some custom presets you guys may have developed. Guitarampmodeling.com has a couple of presets, but i am looking for some more user created presets! Anything out there?

thanks!

zerocrossing wrote:If you have and love Amplitube, I think you'll find that TH1 is not a replacement for it.
I guess the keyword is love......cause I have Amplitube 2 and liked it....and haven't used it much since buying TH1
just my 2 cents.
rsp

Anybody using TH1 with SONAR 8? Having some issues with the install.

Thanks,
Jim
The keeper of the Shrine.
http://lldom.blogspot.com
The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

zerocrossing wrote:If you have and love Amplitube, I think you'll find that TH1 is not a replacement for it.

+1

Everybodys so ga-ga over this I backed up my system and had a go at it this morning. It's pretty good.

Q)Is it better than the competition? A)Not necessary.

I put it up against Simulanalog, AT2, Gearbox/Tonefarm, XT2-Overloud and SD+. Played and compared for about an hour or so and then deleted it. I will say it does add a touch of harmonic content that's a little more realistic. Is it worth $265 dollars considering what I have. I don't think so.

The uninstall was uneventful. AFAICT nether TH1 or Pace left traces on my machine. I'm glad I backed it up anyway. :wink:

aldi wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:...my guess is similar patches use about 20% less CPU.....I feel it lacks the complexity and life that the Amplitube 2 models have....
though there are many things that can be called "matter of taste" i don't think these two statemants belong to them.
Your thoughts on this are wrong. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. First of all, what I consider a "complex sound that's got life" may not be what yours is. That's why it's called an opinion and I put the words "I feel..." in front of the statement. I'm happy your feelings are different. Did you read the posts where I said I thought the reverb models and routing flexibility were better than Amplitube's? Those are my opinions too. Do you think they're facts because you agree with them?

I bet there are tons of people who think that Guitar Rig is better than both of these amp modelers and I'm sure people would come out of the woodwork to say that there's nothing better than their favorite bit of freeware. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and we're in an open part of this forum.
aldi wrote: th-1 doesn's just use 20% LESS cpu for compareable patches it uses nearly only 20% OF Amplitubes cpu usage.(e.g. at 40% cpu, th-1 8% cpu)
I'm not getting anything like that difference on my machine. To tell the truth, I only tried a basic stereo chorus kind of tone using 2 amps into two sets of cabs panned left and right with chorus on both sides. Again I have a different computer, ram, audio interface, etc. The real truth is that it would be nearly impossible to get an actual number. TH1 is for sure better, but I wish I got the difference you were getting. That's amazing.
aldi wrote: the lack of life and complexity would mean a dead n steril sound and if you feed both amps with the same, non mudulated tone you'll clearly hear that they both sound alive (to my ears th-1 sounds much more alive expecially when it comes to a feedback in sound (still wondering how they managed that))
Maybe I should have said "less life and complexity." I didn't ever say that I thought TH-1 was dead and sterile sounding. I do feel that the Amplitube models (again this is an opinion!) have a bit more... something. I called it "life" but really that's like saying "warm" or "phat." It only means something to me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

floydian80 wrote:Guys,
Great discussion. I am curious as to some custom presets you guys may have developed. Guitarampmodeling.com has a couple of presets, but i am looking for some more user created presets! Anything out there?

thanks!
You mean you already checked out the 400+ variations and are desperate for some more? :-o

:hihi: :love: :hug: 8)

Shogger
What?

zerocrossing wrote: I'm not getting anything like that difference on my machine. To tell the truth, I only tried a basic stereo chorus kind of tone using 2 amps into two sets of cabs panned left and right with chorus on both sides. Again I have a different computer, ram, audio interface, etc. The real truth is that it would be nearly impossible to get an actual number. TH1 is for sure better, but I wish I got the difference you were getting. That's amazing.
For fun (because I love fun) I set up another two patches that were as far as I could tell, fairly identical. (though impossible to make perfect) I went with vintage tube amps that had similar controls, a tube screamer model and two closed back 2x12" cabs with one condenser mic and a stereo digital delay at the end. Simple.

27% Amplitube

18% TH1

I got these numbers from Live and subtracted 4% which is what Live was showing for CPU use with no effects on. I'm running a 2 gighz Centrino Duo with 2 gig of ram and a MOTU 828 firewire interface running at a 192 sample size.

So I was wrong about the 20%, at least on this patch, which is probably more typical of a standard rock set up. TH1 is 33% better in the CPU usage department.

I did more experimenting with the effects on TH1 (post Amplitube) and they are indeed good and I love that a lot of them have modulation options though it's not clear how to control the LFO speed. I love the Phaser (why doesn't Amplitube come with one?) Cool interesting stuff here for sure... but I'm not sure it's worth a total purchase just for that. I went reverb to reverb and Amplitube's digital reverb is pretty good. I think TH1 is a bit better here but not "gotta have it" better. The mu-wah thing was meh, but I've got great filters in other software. The amp models, to me, have a tame refined sound. If that's your bag then this is your dream. It's not quite the sound for me.

It may be giving me 33% better performance but I like Amplitube's amp models 50% more.

This is my opinion in case someone wants to accuse me of stating facts.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I just bought TH1, but I have the same feelings as zerocrossing about amplitude 2 vs. TH1. I bought TH1 because it substantially expands my sound palette. I'm interested in sound design as well as realistic amp sounds.

One thing that I am not to pleased about is the aliasing in TH1. Granted one has to get a little extreme to get it to alias. But put amplitude 2 in a similar situation and it will not alias with the oversampling turned on, same goes MK3. Put a couple of tube nine/overscream in front of an AC30 with the gain at full in the pedals and in the amp and play some high notes and TH1 will alias while amplitude will not. Perhaps Overloud will consider putting in oversampling sometime in the future to reduce the aliasing.

@zerocrossing: i'm totaly fine with your statements. maybe you are right, maybe not ;)
i need a lunch break

just bought it and i really like how it sounds on clavinet (darkface or a fun darkface-rock morph i made): it keeps the transients intact, sound stays snappy and funky. well done. also on rhodes, darkface is kind of mellow, the highs are quite soft - no resonance or spikes there. i also like how the crunchiness comes in depending on touch.

i even tried it on piano, i have been looking for the slightly overdriven high notes that brad mehldau used somewhere on his paranoid android album. i got pretty close already! parallel processing clean/crunchy is essential for that. so this is all great and goes together with vkfx really well.

so i got over the 250 € in a whirl of GAS-

favorite feature request: show more parameters for automation or implement midi channel aware midi learn for all parameters. the function controls are great, though!

cheers
f

:P
Last edited by fanfarecircuit on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sascha Franck wrote:Here's a little clip of an overdeiven guitar running through U-He's excellent MFM2 that I did during a Logic presentation/workshop. Listen to all that eerie, almost synth-alike stuff going on and tell me how you could do such things with hardware in case you're on a more or less tight budget:
http://home.arcor.de/s.franck/gittemp/MFM_Guitar.mp3
very nice stuff, sascha. also the jazzy tune before. keep em coming! i also think the concept of combining classig amped guitar or keyboards sounds with more modern stuff is really exciting.

fab
Last edited by fas1piano on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have nailed Thrash metal tone of Metallica and Anthrax with TH1.

A pure mind of equalisation is required. EQs are extremely vital in shaping the tone you have in mind. The Amps only delivers and cabs only deliver.

I love the Metaltone distortion pedal in TH1.
Hi all you

I have achieved wonders with the Marshall 1975 amp. :love:
Hi all you

Return to “Effects”