CMPlay

Official support for: muon-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does this come with all Computer Music Magazines or only one in particular? Thanks.

I think it's here to stay, because they intend to use it to distribute sample content each month, so new readers would need it too.
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

Cool Thanks

CMplay is part of the CM Studio now and is on each disk. I haven;t had a chance to mess with it to much. How is it?

shadoe42 wrote:CMplay is part of the CM Studio now and is on each disk. I haven;t had a chance to mess with it to much. How is it?
It COULD be a great program. Lots of good effects on board, and a great deal of tweakable parameters.

However, with Sonar 7 on my Vista 32-bit machine, the samples loaded into RAM never clear. Even if you specifically select "delete from memory", the samples stay loaded into RAM. So, if you audition a lot of patches, you start to run low on RAM. Imagine my shock when my 4GB of RAM machine told me there was no space in memory! Needless to say, this has made it unuseable for me. This might not be true for everybody.

Also, the fact that you can't edit the files (Tachyon format) is difficult, particularly if there was an error in the mapping of the samples. If so, you're pretty much stuck.

The last couple of days I've been using SFZed and other programs to make SFZ files for the CM samples. I pop those files in Rapture, and I've got all the tweaking I want. It's time consuming, though.

It's a shame there are some problems with it on my setup. It COULD be great.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

--JSP

I've loaded every CM library since CMPlayer was introduced (5 libraries so far?) and it is quite a collection. There's a fairly complete Orchestral library, the mini EVOLVE library and a boatload of other beats and samples. If you couldn't yet afford Kontakt or Sampletank, you could make some very good stuff just out of the CMPlay libraries.

Frankly, I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten more press. The only criticism I have is that the included multi patches for the libraries thus far (with the exception of the EVOLVE collection) are sparse to non-existent. More attention in this area would really make using these libraries much easier. But it really is fairly easy to create your own multis.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

So I would presume there has been some small library on each disk since they released it? hehe sounds like i need to go back thru my disks and looks stuff. although I have a stack of them on my desk still waiting to really be looked at.

shadoe42 wrote:So I would presume there has been some small library on each disk since they released it? hehe sounds like i need to go back thru my disks and looks stuff. although I have a stack of them on my desk still waiting to really be looked at.
Well, any samples on their cover disks since CM Play was released are given in the CM Play format. So the last few disks and all future disks will have their samples made for it.

I have mixed feelings about CM Play. I REALLY didn't like DS-404. It was clunky, the controls were small, the buttons were cryptic, and it just didn't perform well, IMO. CM Play fixes the engine part, and offers better effects obviously. But it's still a little clunky to work with. The browsing is a pain, IMO. And navigation in general is not that great. Plus, they still have small buttons that make it less pleasant to work with.

I do use Kontakt for most everything. But since I do use some magazine samples, if they are going to be in that format, I would hope it would be easier than this.

Brent
My host is better than your host

CM Play can also load and play samples in the DS-404 format, if that helps anyone.

I too have made some SFZ files for some of the samples and it does take some time. I wish SFZ files were included on the DVD with the samples. That would be a lot more flexable since more software is supporting the SFZ format and probably even more in the future.

Very pleased to see people on KVR talking about CMplay - all feedback is appreciated.
However, with Sonar 7 on my Vista 32-bit machine, the samples loaded into RAM never clear. Even if you specifically select "delete from memory", the samples stay loaded into RAM. So, if you audition a lot of patches, you start to run low on RAM. Imagine my shock when my 4GB of RAM machine told me there was no space in memory! Needless to say, this has made it unuseable for me. This might not be true for everybody.
CMplay is based on our Tachyon Engine which is very stable, well-tested and used in numerous commercial products. It is more likely that the samples *are* clearing from RAM but something else is at fault that might be specific to Sonar 7. Any chance of a screenshot of that error message? have you run Resource Monitor while loading/unloading patches?
I wish SFZ files were included on the DVD with the samples.
I'm sure we could add SFZ export to TachyonS easily enough if there was enough demand so that these files could be created, but I think there is a lack of freely available software for CM readers to play them. I would also say that CMplay offers considerable advantages over any freely available SFZ player that I'm aware of.
I do use Kontakt for most everything. But since I do use some magazine samples, if they are going to be in that format, I would hope it would be easier than this.
Just to clarify - there is no reason to use CMplay if you're already more comfortable with another sampler, the raw WAV files are there for you to use on the disk exactly for that purpose. Other users less comfortable with mapping samples themselves should stick to CMplay.
CM Play can also load and play samples in the DS-404 format, if that helps anyone.
Indeed it can - and if you are one of the two people in the known universe that actually like DS404 (that would be me, and Scott Solida!) that could be fun. Otherwise please stand by for a commercial release of TachyonS :lol:

Kind regards
Dave
Muon Software Ltd
www.muon-software.com

Muon Software Ltd wrote:
...if you are one of the two people in the known universe that actually like DS404 (that would be me, and Scott Solida!)
I don't mind it too much :). Mebbe it's because it was the first soft sampler I played with, or mebbe because I realised early on that resetting sreen res to 800x600 made patch-building much more agreeable. I still occasionally use a bunch of 404s embedded in Bidule for fun as I've assembled a lot of useful patches and banks over the years.

So Dave, about that commercial Tachyon release... :lol:

So Dave, about that commercial Tachyon release...
There's some stuff that needs to be done before it can happen, but plans are in place for this year. Specifically we need to put together a useful sample library to go with it and update our website to handle online registrations.

Once that's done it's pretty much good to go. With the amount of work that needs to be done however I can't give any kind of guarantees about release dates :(

Kind regards
Dave
Muon Software Ltd
www.muon-software.com
Last edited by Muon Software Ltd on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Dave

The only thing that bother me with CM play is that it can't preview the sample, so it is pretty time consuming to load and unload all those samples.

btw.. I really miss your old SR 202 ( actually I did my first album completely with SR 202 )
Would you plan to update it? I stop using it because it can't load stereo files ( I forgot if it works with 24 bit files ) Also some sound preview could not hurt.

SR 202 was really one of the most useful small drum sampler I saw till now.
( shoulder by shoulder with Scuzzput Phatbeatz which is not free)

best
Alex

The browsing is painfull, but just considering the monthly releases of samples, the ability to play (my nostalgically ultraprecious) handmade ds404 thingies and the ecoscale of all this made cmplay a giant leap for mekind - a big thank you is in order indeed, muon software :tu:

Ps. during my preview marathons i haven't ran across ram-problems with 32bit vista business 2,9gb... oh, but this with cubase 4.5

The only thing that bother me with CM play is that it can't preview the sample, so it is pretty time consuming to load and unload all those samples.
The Tachyon engine itself has very powerful browsing and previewing built-in (see AMG ONE for example). Unfortunately CM didn't decide to add this feature to their version, and they also didn't decide to use the content tagging/searching feature which means CMplay's browser is folder-driven. You can improve how your menus are structured however just by rearranging your folders a little.
btw.. I really miss your old SR 202 ( actually I did my first album completely with SR 202 )
Would you plan to update it? I stop using it because it can't load stereo files ( I forgot if it works with 24 bit files ) Also some sound preview could not hurt.
It's really up to CM, I'm afraid. I guess now they have CMplay any plans to update DS404/SR202/CM303/CM101 are on hold. Don't forget that CMplay can play all those SR202 files you may have however.
Ps. during my preview marathons i haven't ran across ram-problems with 32bit vista business 2,9gb... oh, but this with cubase 4.5
That'd be consistent with our own testing - I wouldn't expect a memory leak of that kind of size to have gone unnoticed as we have tools to sniff that sort of thing out during debug.

Kind regards
Dave
Muon Software Ltd
www.muon-software.com

Return to “Muon Software”