Redline Monitor - how does it work?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I will remember your opinion and keep checking my mixes on my nearfields (apart bass) and bass on headphones ;)

DT880 (modded sometimes) is a reference for headphone roundups and i love the AKG too :D

Clean, dynamic and good stereo field, like nearly all AKGs ;)

Could you check compatibility with Zynewave's Podium? Yesterday I inserted Redline Monitor demo on the master buss in one of my projects and mixed a bit with headphones. It was nice and a lot better than without the plugin, but when I closed Podium I got a blue screen. When I tried to open that project today, it said the project file was corrupt; so I've lost a LOT of work because of this (4 songs; 1 was mixed already). I really don't want to try inserting it again to recreate it and lose everything again, so maybe you should check this out. Thanks

regards,
Zsolt

This is an absolutely fantastic tool...

At first I didnt like it. The bass and lower mids seemed to dissapear.
But after switching it off I realised how muddy and boomy the bottom end was previously. Obviously a major contributor to the fatigue I use to experience.
Switched it back on and everything just seems so precise now...

And I can almost see the music dancing on my nose now.
My monitors will still be my main source of mixing obviously.
But now i'm more than happy to be working on headphones.

Now where's that credit card :D

I have ikmultimedia ARC and that is supposed to be placed in the last insert of my masterbus just like Redline Monitor my question is am i to reference my monitors with ARC on or off?
I'm assuming on since ARC is taking the room out of my mixes and I'm trying to get that same sound in my headphones is this correct?

Eddie(Soulseekers) wrote:I have ikmultimedia ARC and that is supposed to be placed in the last insert of my masterbus just like Redline Monitor my question is am i to reference my monitors with ARC on or off?
I'm assuming on since ARC is taking the room out of my mixes and I'm trying to get that same sound in my headphones is this correct?
Have you thought about this?? :wink:

ARC fixes deficiences in your monitoring setup.
Remove monitors = remove ARC :)

So you'd alternate between the two environments and mix until it sounds good on both.

tried this and like it.. a bit expensive for me at the minute tho'
i might try it for the demo period and see how it goes..
it could be pretty handy now i have a 5 month old bub.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25295175@N07/
:wink:

shanecgriffo wrote:tried this and like it.. a bit expensive for me at the minute tho'
There are several freeware plugins that try to do kind of the same as redline monitor. Try one of those. I'd start with this.

Oh, and cute kid you got there! My youngest is 3 months old now. :D

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:
shanecgriffo wrote:tried this and like it.. a bit expensive for me at the minute tho'
There are several freeware plugins that try to do kind of the same as redline monitor. Try one of those. I'd start with this.

Oh, and cute kid you got there! My youngest is 3 months old now. :D

Cheers!
bManic
yes they're pretty cute at that age hey!
(before the trouble starts :wink: )
I do have hdphx already, i'd just forgotten about it
i do think redline is a bit nicer on the ears tho

Just demoed this tool and I'm really impressed! Creates a useful stereo image on my headphones. I like!

Zsolt wrote:Could you check compatibility with Zynewave's Podium? Yesterday I inserted Redline Monitor demo on the master buss in one of my projects and mixed a bit with headphones. It was nice and a lot better than without the plugin, but when I closed Podium I got a blue screen. When I tried to open that project today, it said the project file was corrupt; so I've lost a LOT of work because of this (4 songs; 1 was mixed already). I really don't want to try inserting it again to recreate it and lose everything again, so maybe you should check this out. Thanks

regards,
Zsolt
Blue screen are hardware troubles (drivers, RAM, peripherals...)
So check your hard drive, check your RAM, check all external things like USB keyboard...

Sorry to say that, but never a plugin will cause blue screen only by itself ;)
The only thing i seen, even with thousands VST tested, is host crashing, never blue screen or windows crashing ;)

I got that HDPHX thing yesterday, I can't figure out where to put it! It's not a VST is it?

awesome-force wrote:I got that HDPHX thing yesterday, I can't figure out where to put it! It's not a VST is it?
"HDPHX - Headphone Listening Enhancement for VST"

Oh, It says that in big letters up the top, anyway it doesn't seem to work in FL8, It just goes "opening wrapper" for ages then this default wrapper thing with one knob that doesn't do anything comes up

bmanic wrote:There are several freeware plugins that try to do kind of the same as redline monitor.
I think I've tried them all, and, really, I find this is far more useful than the others.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

eduardo_b wrote:
bmanic wrote:There are several freeware plugins that try to do kind of the same as redline monitor.
I think I've tried them all, and, really, I find this is far more useful than the others.
I agree. Redline monitor doesn't mess with the frequency response in any nasty way (except when using the distance knob, hence I don't use it :) ) while still providing a useful stereo image reference for headphone mixing.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I use FL Studio 8 and have Sony MDR-V600 headphones. Will it work properly with my host and sound good in my cans?

Return to “Effects”