Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Redline Monitor - how does it work?

megadeth
KVRist
 
286 posts since 12 Jun, 2005

Postby megadeth; Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:16 pm

I will remember your opinion and keep checking my mixes on my nearfields (apart bass) and bass on headphones ;)

DT880 (modded sometimes) is a reference for headphone roundups and i love the AKG too :D

Clean, dynamic and good stereo field, like nearly all AKGs ;)
Zsolt
KVRist
 
81 posts since 23 Feb, 2007, from Belgium

Postby Zsolt; Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Could you check compatibility with Zynewave's Podium? Yesterday I inserted Redline Monitor demo on the master buss in one of my projects and mixed a bit with headphones. It was nice and a lot better than without the plugin, but when I closed Podium I got a blue screen. When I tried to open that project today, it said the project file was corrupt; so I've lost a LOT of work because of this (4 songs; 1 was mixed already). I really don't want to try inserting it again to recreate it and lose everything again, so maybe you should check this out. Thanks


regards,
Zsolt
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
 
8817 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:12 pm

This is an absolutely fantastic tool...

At first I didnt like it. The bass and lower mids seemed to dissapear.
But after switching it off I realised how muddy and boomy the bottom end was previously. Obviously a major contributor to the fatigue I use to experience.
Switched it back on and everything just seems so precise now...

And I can almost see the music dancing on my nose now.
My monitors will still be my main source of mixing obviously.
But now i'm more than happy to be working on headphones.

Now where's that credit card :D
Eddie(Soulseekers)
KVRer
 
20 posts since 30 Oct, 2006

Postby Eddie(Soulseekers); Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:43 pm

I have ikmultimedia ARC and that is supposed to be placed in the last insert of my masterbus just like Redline Monitor my question is am i to reference my monitors with ARC on or off?
I'm assuming on since ARC is taking the room out of my mixes and I'm trying to get that same sound in my headphones is this correct?
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
 
8817 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Eddie(Soulseekers) wrote:I have ikmultimedia ARC and that is supposed to be placed in the last insert of my masterbus just like Redline Monitor my question is am i to reference my monitors with ARC on or off?
I'm assuming on since ARC is taking the room out of my mixes and I'm trying to get that same sound in my headphones is this correct?


Have you thought about this?? :wink:

ARC fixes deficiences in your monitoring setup.
Remove monitors = remove ARC :)

So you'd alternate between the two environments and mix until it sounds good on both.
shanecgriffo
KVRAF
 
3695 posts since 27 Nov, 2003, from beach side australia

Postby shanecgriffo; Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm

tried this and like it.. a bit expensive for me at the minute tho'
i might try it for the demo period and see how it goes..
it could be pretty handy now i have a 5 month old bub.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25295175@N07/
:wink:
User avatar
bmanic
KVRAF
 
7796 posts since 3 Feb, 2003, from Finland, Espoo

Postby bmanic; Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:38 am

shanecgriffo wrote:tried this and like it.. a bit expensive for me at the minute tho'
i might try it for the demo period and see how it goes..
it could be pretty handy now i have a 5 month old bub.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25295175@N07/
:wink:


There are several freeware plugins that try to do kind of the same as redline monitor. Try one of those. I'd start with this.

Oh, and cute kid you got there! My youngest is 3 months old now. :D

Cheers!
bManic
"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior. I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad." - Elon Musk, TED talk April 2017
shanecgriffo
KVRAF
 
3695 posts since 27 Nov, 2003, from beach side australia

Postby shanecgriffo; Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:01 am

bmanic wrote:
shanecgriffo wrote:tried this and like it.. a bit expensive for me at the minute tho'
i might try it for the demo period and see how it goes..
it could be pretty handy now i have a 5 month old bub.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25295175@N07/
:wink:


There are several freeware plugins that try to do kind of the same as redline monitor. Try one of those. I'd start with this.

Oh, and cute kid you got there! My youngest is 3 months old now. :D

Cheers!
bManic

yes they're pretty cute at that age hey!
(before the trouble starts :wink: )
I do have hdphx already, i'd just forgotten about it
i do think redline is a bit nicer on the ears tho
thanks :)
ViktorW
KVRist
 
414 posts since 15 May, 2006

Postby ViktorW; Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:18 am

Just demoed this tool and I'm really impressed! Creates a useful stereo image on my headphones. I like!
megadeth
KVRist
 
286 posts since 12 Jun, 2005

Postby megadeth; Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Zsolt wrote:Could you check compatibility with Zynewave's Podium? Yesterday I inserted Redline Monitor demo on the master buss in one of my projects and mixed a bit with headphones. It was nice and a lot better than without the plugin, but when I closed Podium I got a blue screen. When I tried to open that project today, it said the project file was corrupt; so I've lost a LOT of work because of this (4 songs; 1 was mixed already). I really don't want to try inserting it again to recreate it and lose everything again, so maybe you should check this out. Thanks


regards,
Zsolt


Blue screen are hardware troubles (drivers, RAM, peripherals...)
So check your hard drive, check your RAM, check all external things like USB keyboard...

Sorry to say that, but never a plugin will cause blue screen only by itself ;)
The only thing i seen, even with thousands VST tested, is host crashing, never blue screen or windows crashing ;)
User avatar
an-electric-heart
KVRian
 
1418 posts since 13 Jun, 2008, from Napier,New Zealand

Postby an-electric-heart; Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:34 pm

I got that HDPHX thing yesterday, I can't figure out where to put it! It's not a VST is it?
User avatar
an-electric-heart
KVRian
 
1418 posts since 13 Jun, 2008, from Napier,New Zealand

Postby an-electric-heart; Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:42 pm

awesome-force wrote:I got that HDPHX thing yesterday, I can't figure out where to put it! It's not a VST is it?


"HDPHX - Headphone Listening Enhancement for VST"

Oh, It says that in big letters up the top, anyway it doesn't seem to work in FL8, It just goes "opening wrapper" for ages then this default wrapper thing with one knob that doesn't do anything comes up
eduardo_b
KVRAF
 
11919 posts since 22 Nov, 2004, from west of east

Postby eduardo_b; Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:21 pm

bmanic wrote:There are several freeware plugins that try to do kind of the same as redline monitor.
I think I've tried them all, and, really, I find this is far more useful than the others.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey
User avatar
bmanic
KVRAF
 
7796 posts since 3 Feb, 2003, from Finland, Espoo

Postby bmanic; Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:56 am

eduardo_b wrote:
bmanic wrote:There are several freeware plugins that try to do kind of the same as redline monitor.
I think I've tried them all, and, really, I find this is far more useful than the others.


I agree. Redline monitor doesn't mess with the frequency response in any nasty way (except when using the distance knob, hence I don't use it :) ) while still providing a useful stereo image reference for headphone mixing.

Cheers!
bManic
"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior. I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad." - Elon Musk, TED talk April 2017
BASSDRIVE
KVRian
 
965 posts since 13 Jun, 2003, from USA

Postby BASSDRIVE; Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:42 pm

I use FL Studio 8 and have Sony MDR-V600 headphones. Will it work properly with my host and sound good in my cans?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cgcello, emef, Flipboard [Bot]