Windows VST -> Mac VST Bridge?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any way to run windows plug-ins via WINE as a Mac Plug-in?

It seems this is basically a solved problem - on linux we have solutions like dssi-vst which bridges a WINE VST into the dssi plug-in format. All you need is a wine vst host (done), a mac vst (not hard), and some IPC between them (a little tricky).

I'm planning on spending the next few weeks investigating this, but I want to know now if there are any current projects doing the same thing.

Thanks so much!

I'm trying to figure out a solution for this as well.

Ideal solution... a Mac AU / VST plugin similar to NI's Kore except it's based on WINE technology and let's you load Windows VST's into it.

I'm honestly very surprised that a developer hasn't taken advantage of this opportunity yet.
Last edited by djanthonyw on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are currently reading my signature.

Someone at FXPansion said something like: "We've looked into it but Wine isn't stable enough for the moment to move further", or something similar.

Not opensource but worth a look

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
stay juicy!

Stable or not, I'm surprised no one has taken advantage of this opportunity yet.

Optomadic wrote:Not opensource but worth a look

Works good for stand alone software, but it doesn't let you load Windows VST into a Mac host..

agreed dj.

This exact question was asked of me just yesterday. It would be nice to have some kind of wrapper just to see what would or what would not stablize.
stay juicy!

djanthonyw wrote:
Optomadic wrote:Not opensource but worth a look

Works good for stand alone software, but it doesn't let you load Windows VST into a Mac host..
In any way any Virtualisation will have a slow down at least 3 times. That will make it pretty unusable. So wine is only a desperate solution.

But there so many excellent plugins in mac , some of them are not available to pc as well. It is not a great loss really.

:dog: It is not virtualisation or emulation at all. The apps are run nativly, thats it.
stay juicy!

Just dump the Mac and get a real computer :D

or just by a cheap PC to go with it

I'm sure there's Win VST devs that wouldn't want their plugs easily usable on a Mac.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liquidclear wrote:Just dump the Mac and get a real computer :D
Well there is always Bootcamp, however that defeats the purpose of workflow.
Liquidclear wrote:I'm sure there's Win VST devs that wouldn't want their plugs easily usable on a Mac.
Developers such as?

Optomadic wrote::dog: It is not virtualisation or emulation at all. The apps are run nativly, thats it.
you are joking , right ? Do not tell me you actually buying the Not Another Emulation or whatever crap ?

Oh by the way I am a registered CrossOverGames user , using it to run a pc only game called "GUILD WARS" (the biggest rival of World of Warcraft). It works very good with some minor problems. Of course MMORG are not CPU intensive.

Virtuilisation is a lot faster with WINE than with something like Parallels or Fusion because with WINE you don't need to run the whole OS. WINE is pretty much native speed. The only thing faster would be to have the program coded for the specific OS.

Liquidclear wrote:I'm sure there's Win VST devs that wouldn't want their plugs easily usable on a Mac.
Developers such as?[/quote]

It was kind of a joke, but on the other hand there would be support issues with devs not having a Mac
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I meant to say..
stay juicy!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”