Any luck with Korg nanoPad drivers

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am running XP SP2. Got the nanoPad last week, here is the deal. I've following installation instructions and also ran the Korg installer. If I have the Korg drivers detected and available, it doesn't work with the Editor, nor show up in any of my Daw's. Going to device manager It shows up and says it is enabled and working properly, but a few tabs more says there is a problem.
uninstall and go with generic Windows drivers, the Editor works and it comes up as USB device in Daw's. The forums at Korg, no help in fact many others with same issue. Korg states their drivers are more stable than Window USB drivers. Problem is getting them to work. Any suggestions?

I have the exact same problem. The drivers work great under Vista, but not at all under XP. I'm going to sell my nanoPad for this very reason.
Listen to my latest album Astronauta at

http://www.facproductions.net

At least my nanoKontrol works fine XP SP3. Try upgrading to SP3. Maybe it helps.

The drivers work for me on XP SP3 besides some annoying side effects like computers not shutting down or even sometimes hangs until I unplug the Nano(s). I have NanoPad, NanoKontrol and NanoKey connected to a small hub and always use the same USB ports used at initial installation. After connecting the Nano(s) to different ports I always had to run the "Install Korg USB-MIDI Device"-Tool to make them available again.
I use User Mode Driver 1.11.00.02 and Kernel Mode Driver 1.04.00.01. The USB MIDI Driver version is 6.1.11.01. I wouldn't say the drivers are more stable. They are just a bit more annoying. I don't have any other USB device being so picky as the Nano(s) with the Korg Drivers.

Do you have any additional information about your problem (error message etc.)?

Cheers, Eric

Thanks all. I kind of figured this was a common issue. I have kept with SP2 because it seems to work well with everything and don't want to change things that may affect some of my software authorizations. I really got the nanoPad with the intention of getting EZDrummer lite and upgrading to the full version. This way I would get a few nanoPad, for the same price. I am not getting error messages, but can't get the Korg drivers to work although the appear in device manager. I haven't played with it enough to see if there is much latency using Windows USB drivers in my Daw's. The windows drivers work fine with the editor. Just got to remember that there is a octave difference when assigning pads.

Frettchen wrote:The drivers work for me on XP SP3 besides some annoying side effects like computers not shutting down or even sometimes hangs until I unplug the Nano(s). I have NanoPad, NanoKontrol and NanoKey connected to a small hub and always use the same USB ports used at initial installation. After connecting the Nano(s) to different ports I always had to run the "Install Korg USB-MIDI Device"-Tool to make them available again.
I use User Mode Driver 1.11.00.02 and Kernel Mode Driver 1.04.00.01. The USB MIDI Driver version is 6.1.11.01. I wouldn't say the drivers are more stable. They are just a bit more annoying. I don't have any other USB device being so picky as the Nano(s) with the Korg Drivers.

Cheers, Eric
I am not sure about when you say
..."User Mode Driver 1.11.00.02 and Kernel Mode Driver 1.04.00.01"
Are those the Generic drivers?

The Korg drivers are working well for me XP pro, SP2. They only work for one chosen USB port. I think I remember installing with the Nanopad plugged in, and I have to use the same port every time.

whitecloud wrote:
Frettchen wrote:The drivers work for me on XP SP3 besides some annoying side effects like computers not shutting down or even sometimes hangs until I unplug the Nano(s). I have NanoPad, NanoKontrol and NanoKey connected to a small hub and always use the same USB ports used at initial installation. After connecting the Nano(s) to different ports I always had to run the "Install Korg USB-MIDI Device"-Tool to make them available again.

Cheers, Eric
The version number is displayed in the "Configure Korg USB MIDI Driver"-Tool Window in the "File version" Box. I can only confirm this version works for me but don't know if this is the most recent one. I use a normal version downloaded from the Korg website. I guess the trick is not to change the USB port.

Frettchen wrote:
whitecloud wrote:

Cheers, Eric
The version number is displayed in the "Configure Korg USB MIDI Driver"-Tool Window in the "File version" Box. I can only confirm this version works for me but don't know if this is the most recent one. I use a normal version downloaded from the Korg website. I guess the trick is not to change the USB port.
Thanks, I did just that to see if the Korg drivers would work on another port. With the download/installer there was not instructions in the zip file.
Found out about the utility after the fact. Should I try the first port again?

Had similar issue with padKontrol drivers. Tried to install couple of times never got it worked. After that got recent from site, uninstalled driver completely (nice utility showed me lot of broken midi drivers) and then reinstalled exactly like it said in manual (html file within the drivers package from site). Аfter that everything is working like a clock (SP2). I think, it applies to nano as well since driver is unified (i think).
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:Had similar issue with padKontrol drivers. Tried to install couple of times never got it worked. After that got recent from site, uninstalled driver completely (nice utility showed me lot of broken midi drivers) and then reinstalled exactly like it said in manual (html file within the drivers package from site). Аfter that everything is working like a clock (SP2). I think, it applies to nano as well since driver is unified (i think).
cool, what utility did you use. I have been thinking the possibility of broken drivers. On the Korg forum followed a link that blamed Windows USB. Yes the drivers are the same I believe.

I finally picked up a nanoPad myself just a couple weeks ago and I had a major issue with the drivers as well. XP could see the nano but nothing else could. Drove me crazy until I finally found out about the 10 midi device limit. Sure enough, my registry was stuffed full of entries for the same damn device (wdmaud.drv).

First uninstall the Korg drivers. Then go get m-audio's "midi fix" utility and run it. Then reinstall the Korg drivers. Totally fixed my problem! :tu:

edit: my understanding is that plugging the same device into a different USB port every time will aggravate the situation - that's how those extra (duplicate) midi entries get into the registry in the first place...
- madhatter (on esoundz)

madhatter_ wrote:Drove me crazy until I finally found out about the 10 midi device limit.
Oh sh!+ I think that may be it. I have a Midisport 8x8/S which installs 9 MIDI I/O ports (8 for MIDI I/O and one for SMPTE I/O), plus the MIDI I/O from my soundcard. That's 10 ports already. :?
Listen to my latest album Astronauta at

http://www.facproductions.net

madhatter_ wrote:I finally picked up a nanoPad myself just a couple weeks ago and I had a major issue with the drivers as well. XP could see the nano but nothing else could. Drove me crazy until I finally found out about the 10 midi device limit. Sure enough, my registry was stuffed full of entries for the same damn device (wdmaud.drv).

First uninstall the Korg drivers. Then go get m-audio's "midi fix" utility and run it. Then reinstall the Korg drivers. Totally fixed my problem! :tu:

edit: my understanding is that plugging the same device into a different USB port every time will aggravate the situation - that's how those extra (duplicate) midi entries get into the registry in the first place...
Say I went to the M-Audio link provided and looked around, haven't downloaded yet. I Have a Edirol UM-550(5x5+control)midi interface/patcher. It shows 5 in's and outs plus control. I Also have a Novation Xio Keyboard that has USB. If I run that utility will it un-install my Edirol and Novation USB drivers as well as the Korg?

whitecloud wrote:cool, what utility did you use. I have been thinking the possibility of broken drivers. On the Korg forum followed a link that blamed Windows USB. Yes the drivers are the same I believe.
Start/KORG/KORG USB-MIDI Driver Tools/Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device

and manual is

Start/KORG/KORG USB-MIDI Driver Tools/Installation manual
Murderous duck!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”